FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 27, 2024, 09:24:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: wat dose SA reg require for a shortened diff?  (Read 2760 times)
smokey

View Profile
« on: September 28, 2010, 09:45:02 PM »

Gday has anyone in sa put a shortened diff in a fc because i want run a little bit of rim offset eg. 8" rim 3"3/8 back space.
rang my engineer but he just didn't get it, saying why would you want to do that?
I asked him what he would like to see as far as, just billet axel's with h/duty bearings or a full floating axel kit, like on a drag car.
Can anyone give me an insite into expectations or know the legallities of this mod or give me someone to talk to.
Have tryed to contact someone at Transport SA about this, but im pretty sure they answer the phone, put you on hold, point, laugh, then go home or something.

Any help would be cool Grin
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 11:31:23 PM »

Chase up a guy called Craig Walkom (Walkom Automotive & Performance Engines), try the White Pages or call Directories. He works/worked for Regency, Top Bloke, builds tough cars and engines and should be able to point you in the right direction.

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 07:55:52 AM »

Hey Smokey,

not sure if this helps but in NSW

they say if the diff is narrowed, use the track width of the original- less the amount narrowed plus 25mm.

then they go on further to say "all rims fitted to"an axle" must be of the same diameter, offset, width and mounting configuration (except for spare wheels used in an emergency situation".

I would find an axle with the closest offset and size you wish to run, then shorten that diff.. you mentioned a VT ute earlier?  perhaps this is the best bet... some of the HSV's run pretty wild rims.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
smokey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 08:48:17 PM »

Thanks heaps guys
Will give Craig a ring and ask wat he recons. Spoke to rod from Rodtech who has built all my previous diffs for other projects & race cars
Ive had over the years. He seems to think that its what ever makes the engineer happy, so over engineered or heavier duty the better.
But that means more coin. So he may have an ulterior motive.$$$$
thanks again for all your help.
                                            "GO THE 308"
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 08:05:19 AM »

hey Smokey,

I know you've probably thought about this already but those big rims will need the wheel housings modified... mini tubs, tubs etc.

6 or 7 inch in a std wheel tub is a squeeze, 8 inch definitely tubbed.

Got pics of your project?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: