FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:01:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Hav'n a go -59 FC Ute  (Read 241916 times)
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

Model: FC

My Ute

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2010, 05:27:10 PM »

Well after being a member of this forum for more than a year and recently becoming a member of the Qld Club I thought it was about time I did a serious post. I purchased a 1959 FC Ute in March 2008. The car is the same age as me. Probably paid too much but I think as the saying goes its worth what someone else is prepared to pay and at the time I thought I got a bargain. Over time I have made some decisions about what the rebuild will look like and includes - HR Front end with Torana front rack, Commodore dics allround, Commodore Diff (shortened), Celica Five speed inc enlarged tunnel, keeping grey motor with twin carbies, petronix "points", SBC alternator & Fuel Pump, 80l Commodore fuel tank, Jag Leather buckets seats. Have purchased all of these parts. Up until Christmas 2009 and following a serious accident, I have been dutifully scouring magazines and this site for inspiration. I was able to begin the restoration in earnest at Christmas.

Not sure how often i will be able to post, but hope you will enjoy my Ute restoration as much as I have enjoyed reading about everyone elses. I am hoping to finish before I am 55, but as everyone knows that will be determined by the almighty $.

Ken I have included what I think are the numbers you need ( very clear this must be done straight up Wink)

Regards Wayne

CraigA
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 05:42:03 PM »

Great post. I love the picture of the three of you working on it together.

Good luck with your project.
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 05:50:10 PM »

Hi Wayne and welcome to your first "serious" post!  Wink Cheesy

John and I have had a great time checking out your post so far and we look forward to seeing more from you.  I must say, you look pretty stoked in that shot with your plates! Little things like a nice fresh set of plates (especially something special like those) are a good incentive to keep you going until you can finally hang them on the car for it's first drive.

Obviously you and your dad (and hopefully your son too) are gonna have a ball working on your ute!  Keep up the work and keep posting.

BTW -  I don't think yours is the only bench top that looks like that every now and then!  Grin

Kathi

NosFEratu
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 07:51:05 PM »

Hi Wayne,

Love your post! Being able to have a bit of history with a car is always good. Fantastic that the three of you are able to work on the car together. As far as the tools are concerned, my garage always looks like that Embarrassed There just never seems to be enough room for everything to go away neatly, or enough time to pack everything away.

I don't know if you have ever been looking for a tool, and then start to have a tidy up, find the tool that you are looking for, and then get stuck back into the job, only to find that when you have finished the whole area is messier than before? It happens like that on most days for me. Undecided

Great score with the plates, they will certainly give you a lot of inspiration to have the job finished Wink

Good luck with it, keep us posted on your progress

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 08:33:33 PM »

Nice looking ute - thanks for the numbers. There is also a chassis number on the drivers side skirt about half way along

Regards Ken
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 08:43:15 PM »

Hi Wayne,

Excellent first 'serious' post. I like how you've documented your moves so far - it will make an interesting read once you're done.

Like others have posted, I like the photo of three generations working on the ute.

Nice score on the ebay bargains. You've got a grille badge too...  Shocked Shocked Shocked  Hang on to that.

Kind regards,

Josh

Ol_Girl_58
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 09:31:31 PM »

Thanks for your kind words. I'm glad thats over(the first post). Took some time and the challenge now is too finish.

Ken will get you the additional number next weekend, away for the week.

Will keep you posted.

Regards

Wayne Smiley
DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 08:04:05 AM »

Wayne, Mckees hill is only about 15 mins form my place, did you see Deano's monaro while you were there?

Dean.
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2010, 07:32:37 PM »

Wayne, Mckees hill is only about 15 mins form my place, did you see Deano's monaro while you were there?

Dean.

Yes Dean I saw the monaro and I thought a corvette or something similar and a number of early holdens as well. Talk about shed envy, Deano certainly had the sheds for it. Nice guy and I hope to report back to him that the project is finished.

Regards

Wayne
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 10:30:10 AM »

Nice looking ute - thanks for the numbers. There is also a chassis number on the drivers side skirt about half way along

Regards Ken

Ken, I believe this is the number missing Huh - Chassis number-FC 13670 B.

Regards

Wayne

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 08:22:58 PM »

Thanks Wayne

Ken
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 09:18:24 PM »

Hi Wayne
Loved your post and your work. Enjoy your resto as will enjoy your updates. Hope to see you and your ute at the Nationals One Day Soon.

Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 02:08:15 PM »

Not much of an update. I guess like many before me those 4 bolts on the "Y" frames are not your best mates are they? Total of 5 hours and still have one to go. The one into the sill. Looks like next week end now before the front half is removed.

With the rain we are having in South East Qld it is very difficult to see under the car at the moment with glasses on. I guess this is a sun shower compared to our brothers in Nth Qld and Darwin. Don't know how they tolerate the moisture in the air. Perhaps more alcohol. Grin

Anyway hope to have a photo of 2 halves next week.

Regards

Wayne

Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 04:20:10 PM »

Well the 2 halves took 4 weeks, not 1 as originally thought. Whilst not in the engineering class of others I am still pretty happy getting this far.

Regards Wayne

hrpremier

Model: other Holden

Jason

Jason Fewins
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 07:55:57 PM »

Great to see the progress pics and to see the project coming along nicely.

Hope you have not found to many nasty surprises so far.  Keep the enthusiasm up and progress pics coming.

Easter 2012 is not that far away  Tongue

I Have A Fever ............... And The Only Prescription ............... Is More Cowbell

http://gallery.oldholden.com/hrpremier/
GMVAN

GGGGRRRRRRRRRR cof cof

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 09:22:03 PM »

Great project wayne, Only one problem though, I thought I was reading my own post because your shed looks exactly like mine, Same bench covered in tools, Same concrete covered in oil & dirt & same size shed never ever enough room.Can't wait to see more Pics. Keep up the good work,  Steve (FCV8VAN)

:(If at first you don't suceed give up & have a beer;)
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 06:35:14 PM »

Thanks Guys. Yes the shed space is a problem. Just means you have to go a bit slower. Plenty of time.

Regards  Wayne
GMVAN

GGGGRRRRRRRRRR cof cof

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 09:46:50 PM »

Wayne I also have got some good number plates for the Van I too will show them on here once I remember where they are, and how to put photo's on here again steve

:(If at first you don't suceed give up & have a beer;)
Old_Mt_Isa_Boy
qld-club

My Ute

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 03:29:54 PM »

Well finally have something worth posting. Things are moving slow but steady.

Bringing home some cleaned and painted parts.

Some buckets seats. I like the idea of these with a fully integrated seat belt system out of an early model land rover.

Funny how much we accumulate over time. All of these bits of to get cleaned and primed.

The blind is in great nick so its off to the Powder coater.

Anyway at least some progress. The next step is to get it up on the Rotisserie.

Regards

Wayne
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 04:50:22 PM »

Some buckets seats. I like the idea of these with a fully integrated seat belt system out of an early model land rover.

In case you haven't thought about it, seats with inbuilt belts will need some extra bracing at the mounts, if the worst should happen, they now have to cope with the weight of the seat and the occupant being flung around.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: