FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 07, 2024, 08:55:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mystery air vent on a '58 FC Station Wagon - Help!!  (Read 2674 times)
Mutley

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2009, 06:01:31 PM »

Hi all

OK - dumb question alert....

I recently bought a '58 FC stn wagon.  There's a small lever underneath the glove box that opens a flap on the outside of the car right in front of the wiper blades.  When it's open, air blows in from underneath the dash and it seems to have 3 positions (low air to high air).

My question is how do you get the INSIDE air vents in front of the windscreen (?? de-misters) to work?  Should this lever do it or might it be broken?  Also, is there a heater you can add to the FC?

thanks everyone

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 06:49:28 PM »

The vent only allows air into the cabin in the manner you've described. Sometimes referred to as "turning on the air conditioning" Grin

The vents at the top of the dash aren't connected to anything. You had to purchase one of the accessory heater and demister packages to make these functional. The demister had hoses running up to these vents, which were attached to a device a bit like a miniature metal vacuum cleaner head, that fed the air up the vent.

I believe that FB/EK had a heater element accessory that fitted into the vent, but it doesn't fit the FE/FC. The plenum chamber is completely different and so is the vent itself.

Original heaters come up on Ebay and elsewhere from time to time. If you're not concerned about originality there are plenty of options out there, from small hot-rod air-cond/heater kits to anything you care to pull out of a different model car.

Hope that helps

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Mutley

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 09:14:14 PM »

Hi RET

Thanks for your help.  I've seen heaters on ebay every now and then so I suppose I'll have a bid next time.

cheers!

Mutley
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 09:35:10 PM »

There is a heater in the Vic club upcoming auction

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print