FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 03:21:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Brake line piece  (Read 3014 times)
Hewart
nsw-club

Model: FC

Holden on forever...

profile.php?id=1071847991 hewart
View Profile
« on: July 06, 2007, 10:58:50 AM »

G'day guys....

I'm after a small bit for my brake line..... It's this bit below. This is a new one, but it doesn't screw in (wrong thread), so I need an original one.... (I did source a new piece of pipe, but they replaced the both nuts with new ones, when I only needed one new nut and one old)

Either that, or just the whole this brake line piece if that's easier (on the drivers side - from wheel cylinder, rubber hose, then this metal brake line pipe)

and screws into here on the subframe...

Cheers
Les...

fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 06:49:05 PM »

did you make sure the guy @ the brake shop understood it was imperial.
some places have metric nuts with imperial threads and some have imperial nuts with imperial threads.
I got mine from B&R brakes in blacktown, everything seems to screw up so far.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 09:20:32 PM »

Les,

You need to do it yourself to get it right
:-/

looking at the pic, they did an awful job of bending the tube and in addition got the nut sizing wrong.

if you get some nuts I may have some leftover tube which is long enough. I can  make up a piece for you.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 12:08:08 AM »

Les,

Make sure you haven't threaded the brass connector - I recently did this myself with an incorrectly supplied metric fitting.

I found that the metric thread would screw in to a point, and then it threaded the brass junction block which is much softer.

Looking at the pictures, I fear you may have done this, based on the fact that the gold zinc plating has been stripped from the bottom of the thread on the pipe nut.

May be worth getting another junction block and bench testing each female thread rather than risking a leak at the existing junction block.

Regards

Ed
Hewart
nsw-club

Model: FC

Holden on forever...

profile.php?id=1071847991 hewart
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 08:50:24 AM »

did you make sure the guy @ the brake shop understood it was imperial

That was part of the problem, one end needed to be imperial, and the other metric :-/ Apparently the old one crumbled in his hands mid-way, so he scooped it all up and chucked it!

looking at the pic, they did an awful job of bending the tube

Unfortunately I may have helped with the awful bending job when it didn't fit the first time  Cry   I'll keep you in mind if I need to reshape something myself, thanks Ed!!

Make sure you haven't threaded the brass connector - I recently did this myself with an incorrectly supplied metric fitting.

Thanks Ed, yes, I'm a bit worried about it myself, but fingers crossed it'll be OK still...... I really can't test it until I track down the right bit...

Cheers
Les...

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 07:01:19 AM »

Les, did you get this bit of pipe?  I have an original one here or I can make you a brand new one with new fittings. If you need a new one just tell me what fittings you want either end and I will do it.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: