FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 30, 2024, 01:02:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Recent FE purchase  (Read 6196 times)
Mooky

mooky

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2002, 10:31:46 PM »

G'day to all, I recently purchased a 57 FE utility ( I think it's an FE - but I'm having some doubts and need some one to either confirm or dispel my theory).  Hopefully the following information will help;

Engine No - B226958 ( I don't think this is the original motor)

Vehicle No - 8-15237 S

Body ID No - FE 2106 7215 S
     Trim No - 156 / 686
   Paint No - 253/ 7481
In addition to this it has two hood ornaments, FE & FC (so one of them is right) and it has chrome strip down each of the front guards.  Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2002, 12:29:14 AM »

Hey there, excellent taste shown if it is an FE.

Here's what I can tell you from the info you have supplied:

The motor is definitely not the original, but is a grey of FB/EK vintage
The body id suggests it's an FE, and the body number tells you it was built in 1958 (the leading '8' in the number).  Both FE and FC utes were made in 1958, so it's hardly conclusive - a '7' would be Wink

The Trim nos tell me that it was painted "Elk Blue", with a "Comet Blue" interior.  An FE combination, but the body plate says FE, doesn't it...

Use of the FC bonnet mascot on FE bonnet is uncommon, but not rare.  An FE ute should have die-cast "Holden" chrome strips on the front guards behind the wheel arches.  FC utes have a short die-cast spear, not sure if that's what you've got or the stainless "Special" trim (that has a matching piece on the door as well, if it helps).  Perhaps the front guards were replaced after an accident?

Hope that's some help to you, and apologies if any of it was teaching you to suck eggs Wink

There is an ad for the FE Ute in the "Original Advertising" section that shows what they should look like.

Hope you enjoy your new machine.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2002, 01:14:10 AM »

Hi Mooky,

Great choice of cars.Does it have indicators?If yes are they round or rectangular.Where are you located.My FE sedan is elk Blue Great colour. Grin
Mooky

mooky

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2002, 01:55:49 AM »

Thanks very much for the quick response, yes the car is painted a light colour blue, using the colour code supplied on the compliance plate.  The indicators on the front are round, and I am disappointed if it was made in 58 because my number plate is UTE - 057(bugger Embarrassed).  I am currently stationed in Sydney (Army) but will be moving to Toowoomba where I plan to join the Qld club.
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2002, 02:36:10 AM »

Glad to help.  You're welcome to come along to the NSW meeting if you're at a loose end - guests are always welcome.  The meeting is this coming Tuesday (8th), details of venue here, if you want someone to look over the car and help you with other details, as well as an opportunity for you to look over some other cars.

In any case, the Qld boys are a great group, and you won't have as far to travel to the FE-FC Holden Nationals from Toowoomba! Wink

RET

PS - You'll have to trade the plate when you move anyway!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2002, 02:37:16 AM by ret » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Wayne
nsw-club
Guru

I Love my FE

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2002, 05:00:47 AM »

Do you live in Holsworthy area if so I also live in the area I may be able to help you with some info as I have a great coliour grey FE special in original condtion.
WAYNE Smiley
Mooky

mooky

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2002, 04:52:42 AM »

Ret, with the information I have supplied can you tell me the month the car was made and the factory? When I purchased the car it did come with two stainless steel strips that go on the door.  The front indicators are round.  Wayne i do live in the wattle grove area so we will have to tee something up
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2002, 05:36:54 AM »

Mooky,

It was built and assembled in Sydney - the "S" at the end of the chassis no and ID-plate respectively give that away.

As far as month is concerned, I'm sure Ken the Guru will let you know next time he's on the boards.

Any chance you can post a photo of this beast?

cheers
RET

Wayne
nsw-club
Guru

I Love my FE

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2002, 05:40:59 AM »

Mook
     I live across the road in Hammondville I wil be home on the weekend  may be able to catch each other email me on wskuse@bigpond.net .au or phone 98251512 make arrangments.
WAYNE
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2002, 10:10:09 AM »

Mooky,  this one tricked me for a while. Tongue
I think your chassis number should be 8-45237-S
This would make your car January 1958.
Nearly made it as a 1957 model.   Grin
Can you check the number again.
Ken
Mooky

mooky

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2002, 12:51:13 AM »

Ken, I went and re-checked the number and it is 8-15237S.  Their are no signs of any alteration.  The workshop manual(original FE series) states the number should be on the upper LH fender skirt.  The number on mine is on the right fender skirt if that helps. The plot thickens Huh
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2002, 07:34:29 AM »

Hi Mooky, Maybe the car has had an accident at some stage and the front subframe assy was changed, hence the different number.
Gary
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2002, 12:11:15 PM »

Mooky, chassis number on FE's up to Feb/Mar 57 were on the LH side, after that they were on the RH side.
All utes therefore had chassis number on the RHS.

The chassis number is unlikely to have been replaced with the same or any other number except a NP number as stamped by the NSW police when a chassis (or engine) was changed.

The chassis number 15237 belongs to a late 1956 model FE, not a 1958 model.
Your car's body number 7215 indicates that it should be a 1958 model, not a 1957 model.

Obviously your ute can't be 1956 as utes weren't built in 1956.

My only conclusion is that the guy who stamped the number in the factory made a mistake.

This is not as unusual as you may think.  In all my record collecting I have found many mistakes including quite a few FE's that missed having the chassis number stamped all together.  

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: