FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:32:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: when was my car built?  (Read 8264 times)
FEHOLDEN

like all good things...it will happen eventually.

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2002, 10:57:21 AM »

gidday everybody

i realise this is probably a question for king ken but can anybody give me an aproximate date of when my fe special was born? chassis number is 852258m and engine number[currently grey] j5899.

denis
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2002, 06:56:48 AM »

Denis, I need the info from your firewall ID plate as well.
The chassis number needs to tie with the body number details in order to confirm the cars dob.
Your engine number is EJ vintage and therefore cannot be used to validate the chassis number.

Ken
FEHOLDEN

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2002, 05:27:36 AM »

thanks ken

it might be a couple of weeks until i can get back to my mums place where the car is stored, to check details you require. will reply via this string then.

denis
FEHOLDEN

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2002, 05:35:27 AM »

gidday again ken

i finally have those details for you:

body no: fe225-19446m

trim: 212-473

paint: 253-7699

256-7698 top [also has letters rpo next to this. could it refer to flash along side?]

vin: 8-52258m

thanks in anticipation.

denis
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2002, 10:43:50 PM »

I'm sure Ken willl give you an answer to your question, but I just wanted to mention that an explanation of the compliance plate codes can be found in our Tech Info section.

The second batch of paint numbers (256-7698 in your case) does indeed refer to the flash colour, but is not an RPO.  That area (the code stands for "Regular Production Option") is rarely filled in.  An example you might see on a panel-van's body plate is "333", and means that a window was fitted to the tailgate ex-factory.

Ken, what other RPOs have you seen?

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FEHOLDEN

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2002, 04:05:08 AM »

thanks for the tip ret

now i know i am a geniune member of the official and exclusive poo club Grin Grin Grin

according to tech spec tables, trim colour is castle grey over corsair tan with morrocan tan and egret ivory inside. "detriot " flash along side is also castle grey.

i now also know the car was no 19446 built in melbourne

have been trying to post a picture for all to see using paint tool craig posted some time ago but am having trouble moving into paintbrush and onto forum. if you are reading this craig, instructions posted under "poo mobile" string back in april ie alt + prtsrc dont appear to have any effect on my machine[it is a pc]

denis
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2002, 04:54:24 AM »

alt-prtscr puts a copy of the front-most window on the clipboard.  You then need to open a new paint-brush (or photoshop or whatever) document and paste it in.  Then crop etc and convert to JPG format to publish.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Cat
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2002, 08:32:28 AM »

YAY! Cheesy More poo mobiles......bring 'em on!  We're going to take over the poo world you know!  Shocked Maybe this will be called the poo forum in the not too distant future? Oh, and the poo colour changes between '57 and '59 .... well that's Poovolution of course!!
Cat  Grin
PS I'm looking forward to seeing that photo Denis, and particulary the detroit kit.  I was thinking about one for the poo wagon in Castle Grey.....it makes the poo go faster.........!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2002, 08:36:40 AM by cat » Logged

Zoom zoom!
FEHOLDEN

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2002, 06:21:39 PM »

GOODONYA CAT

I'VE HEARD THAT PRUNES WILL DO THE SAME JOB Grin Grin Grin

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE RET BUT WOULD YOU PLEASE TRANSLATE INTO ENGLISH. I THOUGHT YOU COULD GET INTO TROUBLE FOR HAVING A CROP AND JPG??? WHICH MODEL IS THAT?

DENIS
FEHOLDEN

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2002, 06:18:03 PM »

I HAVE READ THE REPLY GIVEN TO MOOKIE IN ANOTHER STRING. DOES THIS MAN MINE IS A 1958 MODEL TOO?

DENIS
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2002, 08:04:02 PM »

Yup.  The first part of the chassis number (which appears on the inner guard), specifies the year the vehicle was made, and for FE/FC can be one of:
6 = 1956
7 = 1957
8 = 1958
FC = 1959

The scheme was changed in 1959 (meaning it was a bit more difficult to know the exact year of subsequent models).

The next number is the build number (starting from 1000, not 0), and the last letter stipulates the factory city (ie Melbourne in your case).

Hope that helps,
RET

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2002, 10:07:37 AM »

Denis - sorry for the delay.
Your car was built late November 1958. Very near the end of the run.  The highest Sydney chassis number I have recorded is only 1000 higher than yours.

Ken
FEHOLDEN

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2002, 06:32:05 PM »

THANKS FOR THE INFO GENTS

JUST TWO LAST QUESTIONS

1:WHEN YOU SAY NUMBERING STARTS FROM 1000 DOES THAT MEAN I SUBTRACT 1000 FROM 52258 TO GET THE ACTUAL IE:51258?

2:DID THE LAST OF THE MODEL ROLL OFF THE LINE AT SYDNEY OR IS THIS ONLY THE HIGHEST NUMBER YOU HAVE ON RECORD KEN?

3:DOES MELBOURNE MEAN DANDENONG OR FISHERMANS BEND?

DENIS
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2002, 11:53:26 AM »

Denis,
1    Correct

2    This is just the highest Sydney number I have. Production stopped the same time at all factories roughly.

3    Melbourne production was in Fisherman's bend up until September 1956. All FE's with Melbourne chassis had Adelaide bodies up to this time.  After that there was a phase in period in which the Dandenong production came on line - during this time some of the production had Adelaide bodies and some had Melbourne bodies.  By the end of 1957 all Melbourne chassis FE's had Melbourne bodies.

Ken
FEHOLDEN

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2002, 01:05:55 AM »

MANY THANKS TO ONE AND AL INVOLVED

I NOW KNOW A HEAP MORE ABOUT MY CAR THAN I DID PREVIOUSLY

I'M STILL NOT SURE ABOUT THE PICTURE POSTING THOUGH

DENIS
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2002, 02:08:01 AM »

Denis,

Once you've created your 'Painter' masterpiece, hold down the "Alt" key and press the "Prt Scr" button (far right, top row, after F1-F12).  This puts a copy of the Painter Window in the 'clipboard'.

Launch MS Paint.  Click File/New to create a new image, and make it the size of your screen (ie 800x600 or whatever it is.  If you don't know, make it 1500x1000)

Once the blank window appears, click Edit/Paste (or ctrl-V) to paste in the image from the clipboard.

All you need to do now is crop the picture by selecting only the image (and not the blank space around it) and getting rid of the excess.  I'm not sure exactly how you do this since I don't use Windows, and even if I did I'd use Photoshop, not Paint.  Maybe CraigA or someone else can assist on this one point.

The save the image and choose JPEG as the format.

Hope that's some help.

RET

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: