FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 27, 2024, 08:14:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: next.....  (Read 53148 times)
NosFEratu
Guru

Model: FE

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2008, 12:59:35 PM »

Hi John

Might possibly be a bad batch of paint as you suggest – we had the same issue with Spartan acrylic many many moons ago (bare metal respray too) and hairline cracks appeared all over the rear guards within 2 weeks of the paint being finished.  Spartan recalled the paint and offered to pay for cars to be resprayed if need be but despite repeated requests for him to contact Spartan the painter chose the “do nothing” option!  Angry 

I empathise with you – it really, really sucks!  Cry

Kathi   Cool
F4+ =^^=

NosFEratu
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2008, 01:25:45 PM »

Kathi  I sprayed a silver Rambler Matadore in Spartin and it went dead flat and crazed within two months and only got refunded the cost of the paint never used Spartin [made by Wattyl] again  and they are one big mother of a car to paint twice ......FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2008, 01:49:35 PM »

Hi John,

Sounds terrible mate, sorry to hear it.

hope you can stick it out and fix her up.

those diamond headlights are excellent.  I used some on my wagon and they were on almost on par with modern car headlights... a damm sight better than the piddly yellow sealed beam light anyway.

Mark I used Spartan on a few cars until I discovered Dulon...  I recently painted some resin vases using acrylic... cant say I  miss the stuff.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Just40
qld-club

I cant fix my brakes, so I made my horn LOUDER

just40fe
View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2008, 04:30:16 PM »

ok all might not be as bad as it seems, it is mainly the lower tailgate 2 doors and a little bit of the roof.

we had a good look today and we think its the clear that has gone funny in those places, so we rubbed a bit with 1500 paper and seemed to get rid of it but not all.

tonyh

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2008, 11:41:45 PM »

Hi John, I know how heartbraking it can be (FC "Special" ute page 3) - 9 coats of lacquer - blocked down after every 3 coats and then buffed to a dead flat mirror finish and after not 2 months to crazy crack from back to front, including inside the ute bed.  Cry Cry The paint manufacture came out and said I used the wrong thinners until I showed him 5 empty 20L drums of their thinners. He then said it was the undercoat, until I told him it was Glasurit, he shut up then and had no more answers. Angry Angry Angry Angry
After I asked him if he was "into" cars his comment was "No - they are just an A to B item to me, I don't get why you guys waste your time and money on these old cars" - he was lucky to leave still wearing his skin. Undecided Angry Angry
Another world wide respected paint company came out and had a look and said that they got the dryers wrong BIG time and nothing I did could have influenced the outcome. Cry
I couldn't afford to sue so with the great help of a mate off it all came and on went Glasurit over the Glasurit undercoat and the finish off the gun is brilliant and has been for the last 18months - My painter said it will look even better when he buffs it!!! Wink Cheesy Grin Grin

All the best for the repairs, Cheers, tonyh  Wink Wink Grin Grin

Cheers, TonyH
Just40
qld-club

just40fe
View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2008, 12:28:10 AM »

I am going to try and rub out the cracking for now, like i said it looks like it,s the clear that has reacted with the red in a few places. if that does not work i will asses it then and decide if it worth starting again or if it goes to ebay.
and yes ed the headlights are worth the money as i have them in my sedan and the are brillant but when i get into my fc wagon it,s like driving with candles.

Just40
qld-club

just40fe
View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2008, 05:30:17 PM »

seems to be 80% gone so that will do me.

NosFEratu
Guru

F4+ =^^=

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2008, 09:43:35 PM »

That's great John  - It may not be exactly what you wanted in the first place but it's definitely better than before! 

Kathi  Cool

NosFEratu
Rusty_T
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2008, 12:23:20 AM »

Huh

John and Ed,

Where did you get the headlights. They do look the part.

Rusty
Just40
qld-club

just40fe
View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2008, 05:42:16 AM »

g,day rusty, i got mine from autobarn and the cost about $70 each and the the bulbs cost another $140 but like ed said they are great. you could try this guy they look to same and are a lot cheaper.
http://www.brightlightautoparts.com/Headlights.html

jack_fc

Model: FC

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2008, 08:43:39 AM »

I got a pair from that brightlightauto mob; they cost $56 the pair (no bulbs) plus postage. Got H4 bulbs locally, think they were about$12 each... They look and work very good (55/60 bulbs) and were easy to fit.
cheers jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2008, 02:50:49 PM »

For the amount of night driving I do in my old cars the Lemon Drops are ok, I can set them on hi beam and no one flashes back

Good to hear you are going to keep at it just 40, looks good in the pics

Cheers, Gary
Just40
qld-club

just40fe
View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 25, 2008, 03:58:27 PM »

after a little bit of stuffing aroung i now have the dash in.

Just40
qld-club

just40fe
View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2008, 07:18:41 PM »

well the cracking is still going on, found the bonnet starting to go today - but what do you do  Huh
anyway both steve and myself are down to exhaust systems so at 7.30 this morning we fired up both cars to go to the shop. got a few looks from the neighbours.
we are both going for rwc and rego in the next 2 weeks.

here,s the link to steve,s van.
http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,13005.0.html

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: