FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 27, 2024, 05:25:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 50th Anniversary  (Read 2767 times)
Ruby_Tuesday
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: July 20, 2006, 10:24:42 PM »

If the Easter Nationals were quite rightly raved about, I don't quite know what superlatives are appropriate for last nights celebratory 19th July 50th Anniversary Dinner.
Unique in itself, for there can only be one. But what a jam packed, informative, and entertaining night. I'd like to think I would be prepared to travel to Sydney for such an occasion, but thinking and doing can be two different things. What dedication to the car and its birthday for those blokes to make the time for the trip. I take my hat off to you.
I don't know how Tony manages these things, but to arrange the release of the VE to coincide with the anniversary, and then be magnanimous enough to allow them to unveil it a few days early - for their moment of glory - as a warm up so to speak, before the main event.....class, Tony, pure class.
To sit and hear the guest speakers putting some humour to the years of work they did and still are putting in; well, any retirement or testimonial dinner will have plenty of the same, but to try to get your head around the fact these men have contributed so much to the Australia I have known all my life, from the time I sat in my pedal car looking up at a brand new FE, to last nights happy experience of sliding my arthritic bones in behind the wheel of a brand spanking VE.....nothing much changes - fifty years ago it was my mother, last night my wife who said, 'Stop dribbling!'
The General could do a lot worse than base his advertising campaign around a few snatches of Richard Ferlazzo - Chief Designer - speaking on the design aspects of the modern car, and how and what Australia manages with a comparatively small customer base. It echoed the 'can do' attitude that Lawrence Hartnett nurtured in his staff before and especially during the war years.
Plenty will be recorded on Jack Rawnsley's contribution. I doubt a menu went home unautographed by this charming and generous man. But if anyone has trouble understanding the significance of the achievement known as the FE, or could wonder how sharp a ninetyfive year old mind might be, I present the case:
Richard gave a fascinating discourse on the time frame, design parameters, and assessment procedures before the look of a new model is decided. He spoke meaningfully about the 'architecture'.
When Jack stood to speak, he laconically opined,  'Architectural platform. Hmmm. Ours was, "It has to be longer, wider, lower, more powerful.....Oh yes, and twelve volt." '
And from that came the FE.
During the raucous response to this, I happened to be in a position to check Richard's response. By his laughter I guess he saw the point probably better than the rest of us.
I have my poster of the VE autographed by Richard, my menu autographed by Jack, my grouse Nationals poster I happily notice is a production of our northern cousins, my wife is clucky for a new VE. Well we can't all be happy, can we?
Thanks again to the committee of the FE-FC Car Club of Vic Inc. Regards to all, Laurie
gp
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 08:00:23 PM »

Sounds like an awesome night! I only wish I could have been there  Cry.

Congrats to the Vic Club for having the foresight to organise such a night.

Cheers,

Graham  Cheesy
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 08:35:33 PM »

Travelling from NSW was well worth the trip. What a night to remember. At 95 years of age Jack Rawnsley is a great Australian who has played a major part in our Holden driving history. Thanks Tony and the Vic club for arranging it.
Cheers,
Graham
NascoHunter
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 11:09:11 PM »

Yes, it was a great night.  We can all keep these memories forever.  The turnout was fantastic - 95 people helped celebrate this historical event.  We were blessed to have 3 great speakers - Hugh Videion, Richard Ferlazzo and Jack Rawnsley.  A big thank you to Graham Fuller (your car looks great in the latest Classic Car mag - yours too GP!), Richard & Dick Thomas, Geoff Saul & John Constable for making the trip down.  Thanks, too to Scott McKenzie, Greg Wood, Peter Van Winden, and others who made the long haul for the evening.  A big thanks to all who brought their FE's and FC's on the night and all who helped celebrate this event.
Regards,
Tony Galea.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 06:23:09 AM »

Thanks to the Vic Club guys who made us feel very welcome indeed.  We had a terrific time and wouldn't have missed it.  The presentations were all excellent, and as always it was great to catch up with you all.

A few pics from the evening:

The NSW Club contingent with Jack Rawnsley

Pete once again shows why he is the Master Master of Ceremonies...

Tony gets the official part of the evening underway.

Hugh Videion (GM-H Engineer 1954-1997) talked about his time working with Jack and others as an engineer.  The FE was the new model being worked on when he started at Holden, and he has very fond memories of it indeed.

Richard Ferlazzo (GM-H Designer 1988-Present) spoke about original FE design, and showed a few images of clay models that had been considered in the mid-50s when the new model was being designed, some of which no-one had seen before.  He also spoke of the success of Efijy, which he was lead designer for.  The bulk of his presentation was from the launch of the VE earlier in the week, covering the gestation of a new model (this one commenced in 1998, when we were celebrating the 50th Anniversary of Holden, the VT was a year old and the new generation Monaro was still a concept car).  It was quite amazing to see and hear just how the new model was developed.

Jack Rawnsley (GM-H Engineer 1936-1976) is nothing short of inspirational.  At 95, he is still very sharp indeed, and as Laurie mentioned, gave an interesting counter-point to Richard's presentation.  There was simply not a sound in the room as the guests (95 of them) hung off his every word.  He welcomed questions from the floor, and talked of his time in the US, and some of the people he met there, which included (the) Henry Ford and Benny Goodman, amongst others.  He got a standing ovation when he was finished.

The Guest Speakers cut the birthday cake.

If it wasn't for the fact it was a "school night", I think the event could have kicked on until all hours.

Thanks again for all the hospitality.  What a fantastic evening.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: