FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 30, 2024, 12:24:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: The making of a BAD GIRL  (Read 155270 times)
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 10, 2007, 05:35:59 AM »

25/3/06 Time for a roadtest.
We obtained the necessary paperwork and tests for rego, so we were now able to take her out for a roadtest. Before going too far, a quick check of the brakes were in order.
Check out the video of Miss Behavin's first outing.

First stop - fuel and an underbonnet inspection.

On the road. (You may need to hit play again to see this 1)

Fortunately not much more work to be done before truely complete.
Just as well, as there is not much time left before leaving for the Nats.
Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:39:42 PM by customFC » Logged

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2007, 01:01:04 PM »

10/4/06
Only days away till the Nats and the front bumper goes on the car. Here it is before hand. Bolts up to the original bumper holes.

....and in place on the car.

A few sponsors logos placed strategically on the car and it is complete........to a point!!
Regards
Alex

TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2007, 07:42:34 AM »

Very cool photos and footage as usual Alex.What cam are you running in the grey?It sounds fantastic.It sounds like you have staight cuts as well but I thought you couldn't get them for Greys?Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2007, 10:53:30 AM »

Hey Jamie.
The car does sound great. It has steel timing gear, but not straight cut. Here is a look at the cam card. Perhaps someone who can read a cam card can tell me what size cam it is, other than "big" or "lumpy".

Regards
Alex

TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 07, 2007, 11:09:22 AM »

Thanks for the cam card Alex,I can read it just fine.I already have a twin carb manifold and original Speco twin exhaust manifiold for my Black FC.A cam similar to yours would finish it off nicely.Once again, thanks for your info.Pictures are great,but there's nothing quite like video footage!Interestingly enough,they must print all cam cards on the same machine,mine's got the same grubby finger print marks as yours! ;DCheers,Jamie.

DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2007, 11:01:05 AM »

Great story & pictures Alex, you have worked miracles on the old girl. It looks fantastic, congratulations.
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2007, 06:19:39 PM »

15/04/06 Easter weekend.
After a hard slog in the lead up to the Nats at Philip Island, the car made it's debut.

We were very pleased with the end result.
We were blown away when Miss Behavin was judged as a TOP 15 car at the Nats.

23/04/06
Back in Sydney after Easter, it was time for our cars first run down the strip at the Nostalgia Drags, WSID.

Unfortunately some electrical problems on the first pass meant the car was sidelined for the duration of the meet.
To sort out our problems for good, we planned some big changes to the electrics.
Check back later as we continue to modify the car, this thread has a bit more to go.
Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 06:23:23 PM by customFC » Logged

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2007, 08:17:10 PM »

As mentioned earlier, some electrical issues needed sorting out.
To sort out our ignition problems, we sent away our dizzy to Performance Ignition Systems (P.I.S.) to have a custom built Scorcher distributer built.
These are an electronic conversion using an XF Falcon unit on top, mated to a grey motor bottom.
We also bought a set of their leads and a suitable coil.
Here's a comparison of the new dizzy to a stock unit.

http://www.performanceignition.com.au/Text/1130294494113-1146/Scorcher-Distributors

Whilst the dizzy was being built, we took the down time as an opportunity to replace the front suspension for one painted in 2 pak. The motor also came out for some added mods...that story is next.

Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: October 06, 2007, 08:20:30 PM by customFC » Logged

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2008, 03:14:19 PM »

Now the Nats are over I thought I could place an update on some of the work on Miss B. As mentioned above, whilst we sorted out the motors electrics and replaced the front end, we pulled the motor for some additional work.
First up here's a look at the main bearing bridges.

We had decided to convert the motor to full flow oil filtration, so John worked with the guys at Gem to make the conversion.
Here you can see that the old oil feeder has been removed and a right angle fitting has been installed. You can also see that the side of the block has been drilled and another fitting has been screwed through this hole.

A pipe was made up between the 2 fittings. The shape had to be carefully calculated to clear all the moving parts. The original oil passage also received a plug. Note also that the 2 bridges have also been put back in place.

Here you can see the oil filter mounted to the side of the motor.
The oil travels out of the motor, through the filter and back into the motor through the oil sender unit hole, creating a full flow system.

Regards
Alex

Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2008, 09:03:32 PM »

Alex, the car is looking great mate, keep up the good work, when she is finished , i;ll let you work on my ol girl for free if you like(lol)well i'll give you a cupple of slabs oh home brew,
                                                 Cheers Rusty

Bogans rule
Craig FB

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 11, 2008, 11:05:03 PM »

Hi Alex awsome work mate any more info/Pics of the bearing cap strengtheners would be apreciated as Im looking at getting a set made
Cheers

Hair like engine Fast going Grey
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 12, 2008, 08:50:02 AM »

Hi Alex,

I have only seen the type of main bearing supports that you have fitted to Miss B once before, can you tell me who makes them and the torque setting in the screws that screw up against the cap. I like them better than the machined cap with a block of steel as a strengthener. I have been looking for a set and will find some eventually. There was also someone who used to make steel main bearing caps for the Greys too, but I have never seen these.

Keith

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
pedro
qld-club
Guru

If you haven't grown up by 50, you don't have to.

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2008, 12:13:45 PM »

That is one AWESOME looking engine inside and out, very impressive work, keep the pics coming Cool Cool Cool.

I love animals - they taste great

F4+
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 13, 2008, 08:04:43 PM »

I have only seen the type of main bearing supports that you have fitted to Miss B once before, can you tell me who makes them and the torque setting in the screws that screw up against the cap. Keith

Sorry Keith and Craig.
Info on the caps is limited.
The engine builder had this set lying around at home and donated them to the project. As for torque settings, no longer in the memory banks. This part of the build was 1 1/2 years ago. Sorry to be of no help, but good luck with the search.
Regards
Alex

GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 15, 2008, 12:57:30 PM »

I Have a set of bearing bridges to sell, they are similar to those of Alex & Johns. They have the angled screws that screw down onto the Main cap. The only difference is that they need spacers between the Main cap and the bridge where the bolts go through. Mine are made out of Hardened steel and are straight across. They weren't cheap to have made.If someone is interested send me a PM with your Phone number and I will give you a call.
 I just bought an engine off a guy which was built in the 70s and when i pulled the sump off it had the same style of strengtheners that i had made. So i take it that that was how they were done in the early days. I'll see if i can get a photo on for you all to see.
 Cheers Scott
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2008, 12:16:36 PM »

PM Sent Scott

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 31, 2008, 09:42:16 PM »

Got a bit more info regarding the bearing bridges from the engine builder.
The standard bolts are installed as per normal and then the 2 extra support bolts are screwed down until they just come into contact with the main bearing. These are then fixed with the lock nuts taking extra care not to turn the screw when you do so. Hope that helps.
Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 10:18:37 PM by customFC » Logged

TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2008, 09:49:30 PM »

Hey Alex,great work.Just a slightly O/T question,where did you get the wing nuts for your rocker cover as I will be running the same cover on my car?Cheers,Jamie.

coolaride
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2008, 10:07:50 PM »

thanks alex , was hoping you would add it bit more about them  Wink

jamie , they look like old school speco ones  but , i could be wrong .

c-ride
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2008, 05:06:19 PM »

Hey Jamie
The rocker cover wingnuts were picked up at Bendigo Swap about 15 years ago.
Can't be 100% on brand, but as Coolaride mentions I too think they are Speco units.
Good luck with finding a set, they don't show up all that often for sale.
Regards
Alex
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 08:04:54 PM by customFC » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: