FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:35:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Building the nest... complete!!!  (Read 21536 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2006, 02:40:33 AM »

thanks guys,

Would you believe i had not even noticed it was bay 229 until you mentioned it RET.. spooky.  it just looked like a good spot for a photo.. incidentally it is at Clovelly looking across to Coogee.  nice little spot.  I was trying for a pic at La Perouse but the amount of people and traffic made it impossible for a nice clear pic.

I will be at the next club meeting, so I can finally put "YES" under the column titled "with car".

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
coolaride
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2006, 03:23:00 AM »

nice work there ed

i`ve been following this thread for a while now and its great news that its finished..
look forward to seeing it up close .. nice one !

cheers

coolaride
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2006, 04:38:24 AM »

Yeah, how good is it going to look parked next to this:

JW is bringing his wagon, isn't he?

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
ridgey_didge
act-club

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2006, 04:55:26 AM »

Great looking car in a great location.

There have never been that many empty parking spaces whenever I've gone to Clovelly.

David

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2006, 05:14:27 AM »

Ed,
     congratulations on finishing it off-it looks absolutely amazing!!! i love the stance on it, also the wheels, they totally suit it!!! keep those pics coming ;)also love the dash, really sets off the car !! Grin Grin

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
HAD 708

Holdens and the Mighty Woodsmen truly magnificent

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2006, 05:58:26 AM »

RET they should look good together and yes John is bringing both the timeless wagon and the Convertible to the island. Should be good to see a few cars that have not been around for a long while,even that FC/FB prototype grey and white sedan will be making a apearance for the 1st time since Glenelg!!!
See you soon for a lot of DRINKING!!!!
Brett

Brett Gillard
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2006, 08:58:01 AM »

Ed its pretty good to see plates on that thing, cant wait to see it, as ben said, have you put down some rubber yet or are you stiil running in.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
SRVLIVES

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2006, 09:28:08 AM »

Man, you musta been upset to finally finish it, only to discover you'd forgotten the door handles! Shocked

Yet more questions to follow from me.....

oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2006, 09:57:23 AM »

it looks great Ed.   Grin Grin

Well done, and its a compliment to yourself to have the finished article......  well almost finished article - just needs a sunvisor!  Wink Wink

I love sunvisors   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes but being a new sensitive new age guy, I can understand if you dont like sunvisors.........what the.??....I must stop drinkin'.... Shocked Shocked
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2006, 11:37:50 PM »

Congrtulations ED !

A fantastic job, and a real credit to you.

I bet when you are about to be passed by a family driving down the highway, the Dad says...." Look kids....it's an FE Wagon, just like your Grandad used to have. "  then just as they pass you and the Dad is reminiscing of when he was a little tacker, he looks back in the rear view mirror and thinks to himself...."Hmmm well I think it's and FE Wagon, bugger, maybe it's not...best not tell the kids that."

In other words Ed, you have custom modified your car to a great extent, yet still kept the charm of an FE.

Well Done !

Mark
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2006, 11:46:56 PM »

Hi,

The first rubber has been put down.  Glenn and I took it for a little drive round the block Smiley

on sunvisors.  I have a visor laying in wait for the car, but I'm not sure if i want to drill through the roof to fit it up.  It had previously worn a visor (see original pic) but the damage in the roof line was quite bad.

I'm undecided.... I do like the look of a visor,but worried the drive to Phillip Island will make it flap about???

SRV, it goes so well the door handles blew off Smiley look closely it has buttons.

looking forward to seating her next to her fellow FE wagon brethren too.

Mark,

Pulled up to a servo on sunday. an elderly gent walks up and says "wow this is tidy.. and look it's all back to standard too!"  "thanks.. it is"

we both walked away with big smiles Smiley

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2006, 11:58:32 PM »

Ed.......nothing like spending $50 000 and a decade of your life building a car for someone to say..."this is TIDY".

Good thing we all build cars to impress ourselves and not anyone else, cause some people just have no idea!

Great story !

Reminds me when I was in a desperate search for a MINI to restore a few years back......couldn;t find one anywhere, until a girl at work said...." There is one down the road.  Its in really good nick and she works at the bank...go and talk to her "

SO, off I went all full of excitement.  

Let's just say, that I never realised that Sir Alec and John Cooper ( Mini Designers ), were germans, who designed a car with the motor in the boot !

Cheers ED

Mark
craiga
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2006, 12:13:44 AM »

The first rubber has been put down.  Glenn and I took it for a little drive round the block

And it sounded fantastic!! This car sounds the real deal, nice and fat sounding. Even better when its turning the tyres - hey Ed ;-)

Well done Ed, your car is proof that perserverence pays off, and is rewarded handsomely.

If you get to see this car in the flesh, take note of the little trick bits here and there. And then tell him to show you how it does a burnout :-)

Cheers,

Craig.
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2006, 10:40:55 AM »

Ed, your wagon looks GREAT! Looking forward to seeing it & you at the island.
Colin

colt
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2006, 11:14:47 AM »

G'day ED,
              now you know what it's all about, many years in the making and even more years to enjoy. I cant wait to be side by side with you at the nats then we both decide to lay a patch (i hope someones got a video when it happens). Good stuff mate see you at the island,
              Cheers Scott
normd

6 in a row , the way to "GO"

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 13, 2006, 03:32:21 PM »

Hey Ed
   Seemed like a long time waiting for this but it all came together in the last 6 months ,  shows how much work goes into the "unseen" parts .
   Looks really TOPs , mate . Worth waiting for .

Norm   Smiley

I Love My "FC" 192 . Old but still a "Rev Head"

R.I.P. Norm - A Great Mate to Everyone on the Forum.
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2006, 10:03:29 PM »

Laying patches definitely sounds like fun, but have a few teething issues first.

the engine is dropping alot of oil, and it looks like a rear main seal.  on closer inspection (trans inspection plate off), the sump gasket (3 piece Holden type) appears to leak profusely from the join depsite me gooping it up when I installed it.

the flex plate is devoid of any oil so I am hopeful it is not a rear main.

Does anybody know if the HX red 308 had a neoprene or rope type rear main seal?

My Gregorys tells me it is possible to change a neoprene type with the crankshaft in.

also does anybody know if a later model one piece sump gasket will fit?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: