FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 04:53:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Eh Holden  (Read 2827 times)
spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« on: December 29, 2005, 09:40:00 AM »

I know its not a fe/fc, But am doing up a EH ute, Hr frontend, front mounted rack and pinion, suit small block chev, and wondering which is the best column to suit, the rack and pinion. And is there anyone in queensland that do these conversions :
Cheers Spider
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 11:21:58 AM »

Spider

Contact Rods Racks via http://www.rodsracks.com.au/ He will be able to supply all you need and he's even in QLD.  Rod also does the column shift auto conversion you asked about in your other post.  He's is a really nice bloke who really knows his stuff.

Good luck

Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
GM

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 08:54:53 PM »

Hey Spider, you can use a number of columns. Gemini is quite popular and works a treat.

Cheers Glenn.

Upon the hill there stood a cow.
It must have moved, It's not there now.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 12:24:46 AM »

Any column is pretty good really - Commodore, Torana, Gemini or HK to WB as well.
What you need to consider is the shaft between the column and the rack.  Choice of column can either make the shaft in between difficult to work or easy to work.
Torana columns are good because the shaft has a flat ground on it to locate in the uni with a cotter pin. This makes shortening pretty easy, but Commodores have splined shafts which have to be cut and welded to shorten

Ken
spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 02:19:58 AM »

Thanks everyone for your advice,
Ken i had a look at the uni-joint for the rack and pinion and it has a short rod with 2 unijoints that has a round hole either end. One slides onto the rack & pinion itself and obviously the other for the steering column with holes either side, as if to run a bolt thru it to secure it. Would this be a lh lx type setup?
Regards Spider
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 04:02:50 AM »

Yes this is Torana type, but it is NOT secured with a bolt, it is secured with a cotter pin.   This is important.

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: