FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 07:29:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Best oil for tired 138  (Read 5761 times)
fc59special

My 59FC Special

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2005, 09:47:53 AM »

gday fc/fe lovers---any suggestions on whats best?...i am currently using penzoil(for older engines)...my grey is fine just needs new rings i think...was reconditioned in 1965 and just found out it is an fx motor
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2005, 03:23:52 PM »

I use Gulf Western Oil,
Competition 50 Plus SAE 25W-70 Hi Performance SG/CD high viscosity engine oil.
Ideal for hard revving and heavily worked engines, oh and suitable for worn engines and cheaper than some Big Name Brands.

Regards Seb

Yellow Knight

Motörhead

D-Generation X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 12:02:02 AM »

Hi there,

Personally I'd recommend using Mobil Old Engine Superdrop 25W/60 SG or Mobil Early Model 25W/60 (can't remember its API rating, it may be SH). I used the Old Engine Superdrop for five years on the clapped-out grey in my EJ and I had no further problems with oil consumption despite the old grey's stuffed valve stem seals. Besides ....Mobil Old Engine Superdrop I have found to be retailing in just about every K-Mart for the princely sum of $16.99. I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend $25+ for that fancy Penrite stuff for a Holden which I don't use everyday. Lips sealed

I may be wrong but I have heard that with older vehicles, it's best to stick to an oil with an API rating which is closer or more relevant to the age of the car ie: SF=pre 1980, SG=pre 1988 etc etc. This may be due to such oils being more suited to the wider tolerances of older motors like the grey.

Cheers ...... Pete

The Quiet One
The Cynical One
The Dark One
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 05:08:50 AM »

I understand the basics behind engine oil names - such as start up rating and hot rating, although things such as SG, CD, SF etc I don't really understand.

I noticed the other day that penrite make a full synthetic that has a 0 start up rating which I was interested in.

Although I don't drive my car much I'd rather pay twice the money for an oil that I new was right for the job.

Could somone with a good grasp for oils go through the jargon and decode in laymans terms what is best for a stock/hot/worn grey and red? Or for different driving styles (towing, seldom used restos, motors that cop a good rev most days)?  Maybe it could be added to the tech section?  Seb, i know you've given some advice on this before - could you start the ball rolling?

I asked the mechanic who did my roadworthy and he just said to use a good brand - somehting like magnatec, but thought synthetic was a bit overpriced.

Regards
Dave

« Last Edit: November 29, 2005, 05:10:46 AM by Dave_EH » Logged
craiga
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 05:25:53 AM »

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=8004003&contentId=6008687

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=8004003&contentId=6008665

Hours of enjoyment :-)

We had a NSW Club meeting a couple of years back at Castrol's Head Office, part of which was a presentation by one of their staff on oil types. Was very interesting, but I can't remember too much (there's that VB again....)

These links take you to pages that will explain viscosity and grade types.

Cheers,

Craig.
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2005, 01:48:46 PM »

As long as you use the SG rated oil for the older engines you should be safe.
I wouldn't go using a SL grade oil in an old grey or red due to the high concentrate of additives in the oil which may deteriorate the original seals and gaskets.
On the other hand if the grey or red has been reconditioned using modern gaskets and seals the SL/Current grade oil is fine.

Regards Seb

Yellow Knight

Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2005, 11:18:50 AM »

Thanks Seb,

My red bottom end was reconditioned about 10 years ago and Ive just done the top end.

Is that recend enough to use the more modern oils?

I saw castrol synthetic R 10-60 today on sale and am considering using it.  Would it be suitable?

If I am in Brisbane do I need to worry about cold rating?  What would be ideal throughout the hot summer months for hotish red?

regards
Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: