FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 05:49:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tailshaft Balancing  (Read 2387 times)
hawk
nsw-club

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2005, 08:40:15 AM »

I have a vibration in my fc at approx 60mph . I have done both uni's now i am going to get my tailshaft balanced . Is this the right way to go and is balancing tailshafts considered a common thing? Any advice would be appreciated Regards Greg.
Royal
qld-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 08:58:45 AM »

Hi Greg
 I had a similiar problem to this a while ago and found the brass bush in the end of the gearbox housing was badly worn, easy way to check is to grab the tailshaft behind the uni and see if there is any up and down movement.
    Hope this is of some help.
    Cheers  Roy

Just  "HOLDEN " on
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 09:03:06 AM »

Hi Greg,
This is a common problem and yes tailshaft balancing and Uni replacements are the first steps to reducing it. Have you checked your wheel balancing?Also engine mounts?It isn't a simple thing to cure.I have done all of the above and had the engine balanced when it was rebuilt. The problem is much better than it was,still not perfectly fixed.I am having the gearbox reco'd at present ,so will see if that makes a difference. Does your mirror vibrate when the problem occurs?Is the vibration coming through the steering wheel?
Cheers,
Graham
oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 10:27:47 AM »

First check where the shake is originating from.

If it is the steering wheel shaking then it is front wheels or steering components.

If the shake is in the body of the car, and the steering wheel isnt shaking, then it is from another area.  

Try doing 60 mph, the shake speed, and then slip it into neutral.  If the shake disappears then you have an engine problem.  

If the shake remains then look at rear wheel balance, crook universal joints, rear gearbox bearing or a bent tailshaft.
Tail shafts dont bend by themselves so if it wasnt shaking before, and you have not grounded it, then it wont shake now.  Even though you have got new universal joints it is worthwhile to check them again for freedom of movement and correct installation.  Its surprising what can be made to fit, supposedly correctly, when using excessive force.

Could even be something as simple as a bent rear rim or a tyre delaminating.

Its really a process of elimination - so try the cheapest first, which is a good rear wheel balance.

Hope this helps,
regards
earlee.
hawk
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 05:03:44 AM »

Thanks for the tips Guys i have just refitted the tailshaft after balancing and the vibration appears to have been fixed .Cheers Greg. Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: