FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 24, 2024, 07:23:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: turning wagon into a van  (Read 2527 times)
Paul-FcWag

Artist formerly known as Thumper

View Profile
« on: August 30, 2005, 11:11:31 PM »

Hi all

im sure someone if not a few on here have tried to turn an fc wag into a van by welding the rear doors, i was just wanting to know to what success it has been done and the procedure/s that were used

Cheers Paul
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 10:45:58 AM »

Hey Paul.
Anythings possible, but why? This would take a fair amount of work to get right, and you could probably spend the same amount of work getting a van up to scratch and have a better car in the end.
If you wanted to do this, you would need to seperate the inner from the outer door skin and weld them in seperate, welding the outer skin to the rear quarter. I have heard if you just weld the door in, it will flex and cracks are sure to appear.
I hope I explained that clearly.
There are bodywork books showing 2 door conversions where the remaining rear door section is welded to the quarter. These may help.
Regards
Alex

Burnsy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 11:11:38 AM »

There are bodywork books showing 2 door conversions where the remaining rear door section is welded to the quarter. These may help.
Regards
Alex

Alex, any names and publishers of these particular books showing this two door conversion process in detail?  I am interested.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 11:20:23 AM by Burnsy » Logged

Mike
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 10:16:07 PM »

This vehicle from the Queensland club (sorry, owner's name escapes me) had that conversion done.  As you can see from the pic, the tailgate was also converted to a one-piece unit.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 10:32:45 AM »

Hey Burnsy
I have a book that shows this, it is American and shows different body mods, including turning a 4 door into a 2 door. My copy is on loan to another club member at the moment so I can't give you actual details. I will track it down and let you know.
Regards
Alex

FC58q

I love My FC's all 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 08:23:11 AM »

Hi RET
The wagon you put up belongs to Keith who owns a panel shop so he knew what he was doing.
Ray.
Paul-FcWag

Artist formerly known as Thumper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 12:48:27 AM »

Ray do u know the name of keiths panel shop?
might be worth having a talk to him about it

Cheers Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: