FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 23, 2024, 09:31:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Light bulb paint.  (Read 11975 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: August 20, 2005, 02:48:43 AM »

Hi,

Was wondering if anybody had any ideas about how to paint a dual filament globe orange?

reason is I am using a dual filament globe as an indicator/reverse light and wish to have a clear lens rather than amber.

to overcome this i thought I could paint the bulb?

any ideas on a hi temp dye?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 03:02:11 AM »

Check out the craft shops, or lighting retailers, there is a transparent paint that is used to paint light globes (to be sold at markets) and if it can withstand the 60 - 100 watt bulb temp it should be good for the lamps!
or why not replace them with LED amber globes from

http://www.led340.com/

or try this guy for orange bulbs with the correct fitting

http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/

Hope this helps a little
Matt

Wouldnt your reverse lights also be amber in that case?
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 03:24:26 AM »

Hey Matt,

that helps alot, i did a quick google on glass paint for bulbs as u suggested and it seems easy to get.. and cheap!

ive already replaced my stop lamps with LEDs, but im not sure if they come in orange to suit a dual filament.

hadnt thought to look in vintage bulbs, wasnt sure if dual filament orange globes are in much demand.

I can live with orange reverse lights more than amber lenses. :-)

the EH has orange reverse lamps and it is very bright.

thanks for your help Smiley

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 07:44:13 AM »

You can buy amber dual filament globes from any Repco store, they are conventional globes not leds and cost the same as an ordinary globe
Cheers
Jock

Cars are my life not just my work
blacky

Model: other Holden

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 09:51:12 PM »

You need to check that the little pins that hold the globe into the globeholder are right when trying to fit orange globes where clear ones used to live - I got caught with that on my EK , the orange globes have the pins offset a little , i.e. not 180 degrees apart when looking from the contact end.
Perhaps there is someone making them to retrofit the earlier models , I was using commodore globes and they wouldnt fit.

I spent most of my money on beer , fast cars and women - the rest I just wasted.
Jockster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2005, 02:46:44 AM »

Some of the globes have an odd offset for commodores etc, but the Repco ones have the standard offset pin common to most cars.
Cheers
Jock

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2005, 06:07:46 AM »

I used the Commo offset globes and ground one pin off. Been in the car for over 2 years now without a problem
If they ever do fail I will get some Repco ones though.

Ken
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2005, 06:36:31 AM »

hi ed, i used some light bulb paint for all my dash globes, my fiance uses it to paint glass arty things.
i painted the whole instrument lights including speedo and aftermarket gauges blue. gives off a realy nice glow and very cheap to do. and the blinker indicating lights are a purple (rusty one for you Smiley ) the only problem is they smoke for a couple of minutes when first turned on until the paint cures, all her artworks get baked in a oven to set the paint. before being sold
it can be bought from any good art store

dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
Jockster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2005, 11:25:08 AM »

Repco also sell coloured....condoms.... for dash bulbs, you just pull it over the globe, turn it on and allow it to heat and cure, they come in a variety of colours
Cheers
Jock

Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 07:19:04 PM »

Hi Guys.

Getting back to the original post. Why do you need dual filament globes.

Doesn't your blinker switch allow you to run the blinker/reverse light from 1 filament like the factory set-up.

Also there are 2 types of dual filament globes. The normal 21/5w just like a standard stop/tail or front parker/blinker, also there is a 21/21W which is used in situations like yours where you need both the blinker & reverse to be bright. These are more difficult to find, but they're the ones you need, I think.

Dr Terry.
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 08:32:32 PM »

Hello,

thx for the replies... interesting!

ok I am running Dual filament globes simply beacuse a VB-VK indicator switch does not support standard indicators (not that I could work out anyway).

and it was easier to run dual filament globes for the reverse than to try nut out how they managed to use a single filament globe.

Hope this makes sense...

looks like 21/21 globes are the go then... I had wondered why my reverse lights were so dim....

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: