FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 11:17:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Collapsible Steering Column  (Read 5452 times)
red_devil
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2005, 08:04:51 AM »

Can anyone advise me on which is the best column available relating to being collapsible that will fit an FC. I will be fitting a 202 engine and the engineer requires the column to collapse due to the engine capacity being larger than 200 cubes. The car is currently fitted with a HR column.
FC229

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 10:16:37 AM »

I'm pretty sure the only real modification required to fit an HKTG column is realigning 1 hole where the steering box bolts to the chassis rail, though I could be confusing this with EH or HR column. Perhaps someone will confirm that?? HKTG is collapsible.
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 12:40:10 AM »

John,

I've never heard of that requirement before.  Plenty of early Holdens with 202s in them with original steering columns.  I'd be asking another engineer.  If you don't already have the 202 then I would be thinking long and hard about going 186/192 instead.

FC229 is correct though, that's how you make a HK-T-G column (the earliest collapsible ones) fit.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
SRVLIVES

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 01:14:23 AM »

I have a friend with an FJ with 202 and his engineer wanted a collapsable column fitted.

GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 06:14:07 AM »

I have a LC Torana column in my Chev powered sedan.
                    cheers Scott
Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2005, 10:12:14 AM »

Some years ago when I built a very much modified FX, I used a HT Column and adapted the FX steering box to suit. It was simply a matter of cutting the shaft  and outer tube where it comes out of the box (leaving the shaft about 35 mm longer than the outer tube) and machining a flat on it to take the HT flexible coupling. Where the outer tube was cut I simply found a seal of the correct dimensions and fitted it to the box. It passed rego inspection  without hassles and worked fine.
Cheers
Jock

Cars are my life not just my work
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 12:55:52 AM »

If you are using a steering box, then any of these (even original FC) can be cut off and have Torana uni fitted.
Once you have the uni joint then any collapsible column can be adapted to fit.
HKTG steering box is not easy to fit to FC (the HR is the one which needs one hole realigning)
Conversely, an original column can be cut at the bottom and have a uni fitted then adapt a rack to the bottom of it.

Have you ever had a look at Kev O'Neils 350 Chev FE with original column and steering wheel?
A beautiful job indeed !

Ken
red_devil
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 02:42:21 AM »

Thanks to all for the great advice, this is what makes this club so superior and a pleasure to be associated with.

Many Thanks
John Pisani
MikeM
wa-club

My v6 "upgrade" was about better brakes :(

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 12:06:00 PM »

I had mine modified by Rod (Rods Racks), he grafted a VL bottom section on, and even modified mine to take convert to a column shift auto.

He did a great job, can get you his details if you like (He is in QLD).

Cheers

Mike
red_devil
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 05:03:46 AM »

Many thanks great help.
John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...