FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 01:39:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Steering colums  (Read 1917 times)
dam-mad

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: August 12, 2005, 02:31:27 AM »

Please excuse me if this is a stupid question.  :-/

What are the benifits of changing a standard steering colum with one of a later model?? I have a HR colum fitted but want to run an orginal steering wheel which means changing back to a standard steering colum, just want to know what I'm sacrificing if I do... Confused!!
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2005, 03:23:54 AM »

Space!!!
My wagon with original column and SAAS wheel is 43cm from dash to horn button (along the top of the column). The FE with HR column and aftermarket wheel is 30cm from dash to horn button.

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 03:33:15 AM »

In a word....LENGTH, if you want a looong one put it back in. As a rule, later columns are about 4 inches or 100mm shorter than FE FC columns.

I would prefer that mine was shorter (column) as I am overweight and the steering wheel sticks in my guts. It could also a problem for people with short arms to reach all the knobs.

Make sure if you are changing it back that no mods have been done where it bolts up to the sub frame as 1 of the bolt holes on the EH & maybe HD-HR does not line up with the holes in the sub frame.

FB - EK are the best to use as they line up and are also shorter.

Have fun, Gary
dam-mad

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2005, 07:59:57 AM »

Thanks Guys,

You both have solved my mystery, anyone had sucess in shoterning a steering colum? Or does anyone know how much shorter a ek/fb colum is?
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2005, 12:28:37 AM »

About 4 inches.  The FB/EK column in shorter to accommodate the dished steering wheel of those models.  You can put an FE/FC wheel on an FB/EK column to move it closer to the dash, but it also means the wheel is closer to the seat.  After a few hours of driving like that you'll swagger like John Wayne Grin

A smaller circumference wheel will negate that effect, but it makes the steering a lot heavier.  Parallel parking or 3-point turns aren't much fun in an FE/FC with a 10" steering wheel, I can tell you from experience.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: