FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 07, 2024, 09:40:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Horn Buttons  (Read 4732 times)
TAYZ
« on: July 28, 2005, 08:20:42 AM »

Probably a silly question, but I noticed with FC's that there seems to be two differenmt coloured horn buttons.  One is red with blue centre and the other is red with gold centre??   Did the one come out on the FC at a later date??  The one in mine has a gold centre, cheers

TAYZ 58
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 10:53:06 PM »

If you do a bit of a search you find this has been discussed quite a few times.

This is what I know:

- There were at least two different manufacturers of horn-buttons for GM-H.  There are variations in the location of the outer ring and size of the lettering that suggest multiple manufacturers (or at the very least multiple moulds).  Most outsourced parts had at least 2 suppliers.
- There was significant variation in the central colour of the horn-button.  Others have seen some that were definitely green, although I have not.

This is what I believe:
- There weren't any manufactured with gold centres.  The blue (or possibly green) colour has simply faded away, leaving the vacuum-metallised gold colour behind.

There is no question that the shield in FE bonnet buttons were ever any other colour but blue, and you see exactly the same effect on them: first the blue goes, then the red and finally the gold until there's nothing left.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FE_UTE
wa-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2005, 10:39:58 AM »

Heres some pics of fading horn buttons and also by different makers

The first has all the colours, in the second the silver is starting to go gold, the next the silver has gone gold and the blue has darkened as has the next only more so and then finally the centre is all gold
The next pic is the backs and they have a different colour as the block out. Three have silver and two have  an off white.
The silver ones have different raised lettering on the back and they are different to the white backed ones
The white backed ones have a smaller shield and HOLDEN is closer to the shield
The second and fifth in the row of 5 are off  FCs and the third is off my FE  both  

Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2005, 09:35:53 PM »

Bl**dy h*ll Gary.....given current asking prices, you're sitting on best part of a Grands worth of Horn Buttons !

Nice collection.....good to know (lol)

Cheers

Mark
FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 10:10:23 PM »

Hi all
           I was talking to a mate yesterday who reminded that he has what he was told to be two brand new prototype horn buttons. He said were both a very dark blood red with gold stars & one has a gold ring around the outer edge. He got them off a elderly gent who said he was in charge on the development of the buttons for FE.FC,FB & these were the designs that never got released. Maybe one of the gurus might be able to shed some light.
Glenn

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
gp
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 10:14:44 PM »

Lets see some photos of them!
FC-V8

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2005, 01:01:53 AM »

My mate has sent me a couple of photos to my mobile phone of them they are both the really deep red, both have the holden lion but with no sheild, both have the gold ring around the outside edge, & one has the southern cross stars around the lion.
I can email them from my phone to someone to post here if they can.
Glenn
P/S The pictures are not very clear but you can still see they a lot different to the standard type.
P/SS They both have the following text on the back
     holden     -98-7414363          3385-1
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 01:05:40 AM by GLENN » Logged

0401-065-201
craiga
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 01:25:26 AM »

« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 01:46:10 AM by craiga » Logged
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2005, 01:47:59 AM »

The description sounds like an FB/EK button in different colours.  And what do you know?  7414363 is the part number for an FB Horn Button.  So I'm guessing it is/was a prototype for that model, rather than FE/FC.

Love to see it, just the same.

cheers
RET

[edit: while I'm typing, CraigA's posting the pic.... ]
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 01:49:02 AM by ret » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FC-V8

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2005, 01:50:00 AM »

Thanks for posting them Craig
Cheers
Glenn
« Last Edit: July 30, 2005, 01:51:35 AM by GLENN » Logged

0401-065-201
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2005, 01:53:18 AM »

Wow!  What a rarity.  Even more than a oil-bath air cleaner Roll Eyes

It just occurred to me that FB/EK buttons have the key (the locating lug) at the opposite end to FE/FC.  So if you turn those prototypes over you'll soon see whether they'd be the right way up or not when fitted to FE/FC horn ring...

To be honest, the eventual black and blue/green stars version is definitely more appealing.

cheers
RET

FC-V8

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2005, 02:09:25 AM »

Thanks Ret
                 I just spoke to my mate he has a original type fc to compare the prototypes to & the locating lug is to suit FB,EK all this time he thought they were FC because the old guy had 4 prototypes originally the 2 he sold to my mate as fe/fc & 2 he sold to another bloke thinking they were fb/ek.
So that means there is 2 fc/fe prototypes still out there somewhere.
Cheers
Glenn

0401-065-201
Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2005, 11:40:56 AM »

Now that's what I call "rare".

Fascinating.  Many thanks for the look, Glenn.

I'm with RET - I like the blck FB/EK buttons.

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: