FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 24, 2024, 09:16:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Toyota 4/5 Speed for FE  (Read 4615 times)
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2005, 05:38:15 AM »

Guys,
In the 1970's I fitted a Toyota RT104 4 speed with Dellow Adaptor to the rear of a 202 Red Motor in my FE.  It all went quite well.
Sometime in the 1980's my brother borrowed the RT104 4speed for his EK Ute.... and I'm not getting it back.
I understood at the time that there was a Celica 5 speed that was the same as the RT104 4speed except for the overdrive 5th gear at the rear.
I want to now fit a 5 speed.  Does anyone know about these conversions.
I would like to keep it Toyota so the Dellow adaptor Bell Housing, clutch, rear mount etc do not have to be changed.  Cutting the tail shaft, reworking the gear lever etc are the easy part.  However I will consider any suitable 5 speed complete from flywheel to tailshaft if it is physically no bigger than the RT104 4speed (that I manged to fit in without changing the floor > dropped the engine/gearbox down a bit and made a custom sump and oil pickup) and is a nice smooth box to use.

Any Ideas....

Geoff_K
GOA350
vic-club

FE's are great when they've got a V8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 07:53:03 AM »

Hi Geoff,
            I thought i would reply seeing that iv'e had a little bit of experience with these gearboxes. I too had a steel case 5 speed behind a 202, and over about 10 years i had 3 of them shit themselves on me. The main reason i think this happened is because i towed alot with it and they weren't designed to tow with. Personaly i would go for a Supra box, they are alloy and i think the steel case box bell housing is the same, and they are allot cheaper now and more common than they were when i was playing with them, also they are much stronger than the steel case.
 Anyway thats my 2 bobs worth,
                              cheers Scott
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 08:30:20 AM »

Geoff,

I think a five speed will fit inside a four speed case.  Can someone else verify this?

Dave
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 07:49:02 PM »

Geoff, Dave

A few years ago I used an RT104 forward casing and loaded in the 5 speed components.  The 5th gear components are contained in the extension housing.  Depending on you tunnel modifications, this can be a benefit as the RT104 forward housing is relatively low compared to some of the 5 speed boxes.  Mal Wood in Qld or CRS would be able to carry out this conversion.

Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
cruiser056
qld-club

cruisin to the rock and roll

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2005, 07:32:14 AM »

G'day fellas,
                   I have just had a 4 speed toyota box put behind my grey motor in my FE.  Everything has be replaced with new, but now there is virtually no travell in the clutch pedal and the pedal is so hard it is almost undrivable.  The guy who has done the work for me claims that this is due to the Dellow adapter plate, but this sounds like a bit of a cop out.
                    Anyone out there got any ideas, before i take the car to someone else?

Michael
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 09:35:15 PM »

Hi Paintman,

I think something is incorrectly installed, or the clutch assembly is the wrong type, because in my installation (many years ago) although the clutch was firm it all worked well with the original clutch master cylinder.

On the matter of which box to use, the guys over at "Toymod" who definitely know their hot fours and what a 202 is gave me the info-
1976-81 Celica 2000 5 speed W50 box with Dellow or CRS Bellhousing
"Toymod guys.....
...As cruzsida has said just source a w50 box out of a celica and it is a direct replacement for your gearbox. Should cost you no more than $200 for a good box plus the cost of someone doing the changeover..."

So all I need now is a W50 Celica Box and an AP4 conversion from CRS.  Anyone got one?

Cheers,
Geoff_K

cruiser056
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 07:12:10 AM »

Geoff K
           Thanks for the info, but a few more questions if I may.  When you say original clutch master cylinder, are you talking holden or toyota?  I've had a mate tell me he thinks I may need a toyota master cylinder and the same size line.  I was going to visit the local wrecking yard to veiw some original toyota setups.  Do you know what model this RT 104 box was out of?
             One more question, when you say the clutch was hard, can you describe how hard?

Aprreciate the info heaps !!!

Paintman
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 07:17:35 AM »

if this does not solve the problem how about you run a booster with the clutch??

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 08:35:17 PM »

Geoff K
           Thanks for the info, but a few more questions if I may.  When you say original clutch master cylinder, are you talking holden or toyota?  I've had a mate tell me he thinks I may need a toyota master cylinder and the same size line.  I was going to visit the local wrecking yard to veiw some original toyota setups.  Do you know what model this RT 104 box was out of?
             One more question, when you say the clutch was hard, can you describe how hard?

Aprreciate the info heaps !!!

Paintman

Paintman,

looking at the EH with the toyo box...
we used the Holden clutch master and a Holden grey motor slave.

Darcy,
We also run a remote booster to the original holden brake master.

hth  

Ed

in the shed
cruiser056
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 09:37:31 PM »

Just to let everyone know, in the end I have used a Toyota Clutch Master Cylinder and it has improved the pressure on the clutch pedal by along shot.  It is just like it was supposed to be there in the first place.  Now i just have to find a holden sticker to put on the master cylinder, might fool someone ha ha.  At least it is not one of those f--d parts.

Thanks for the help.

Michael
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 06:48:23 PM »

Michael
           What model Toyota master cylinder as my clutch is hard as well. The clutch is not unusable but it is stiff and I would like it to be a bit lighter.

Cheers
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
cruiser056
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 04:17:55 AM »

Sarge,
          The master cylinder is to suit a 1978 Toyota Corona,  PBR part No. JB 1140. I bought this over the counter at Repco for $43.

Michael
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 07:16:51 AM »

Michael
           Thanks for the heads up.

Cheers
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351