FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:57:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 13" Portawalls  (Read 17133 times)
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2005, 10:00:03 PM »

Hi Alex, The Antique tyre people have sold out in Sydney and now owned by a guy in Ingleburn.Wayne bought his Tyres and Portawalls from him just before easter.
Cheers,
Graham
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2005, 10:14:08 PM »

dont know y all u guys want these flappers so much??

they destroy tyres, and then break apart at highway speed?

Ive heard of a guy in Sydney who will come around and paint your tyres, or as Alex does, paint your own.

My FE had flappers and they are bad news and unsafe.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
TAYZ
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2005, 11:51:16 PM »

For any one who cares, mostly Victorian, there is a guy in Ballarat who has his own business called CLASSIC REDWALLS.  He will paint your tyres to what colour that you want he quotes  "various widths and colours available"     I have spoken to him and he tells me that white is an absolute prick of a colour to do but still it can be done.  he does the job for about $80- a car (rough price)  Im still going the flappers as my car will not do a great deal of driving, let alone on a highway.  His email address is pinkv8@bigpond.com        he is a decent bloke so Im sure if you had a question he would be happy to answer it.  he also has a fair bit of NOS parts for old holdens
                                                                TAYZ
hawk
nsw-club

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2005, 12:26:53 AM »

There is a mobile guy based at fairfieldin sydney .He said he can do up to 1 and half inch wide with a liquid rubber at $50 a tyre .......His phone numbers are 0408254574 or 02 96042289 hope this helps .Greg.
fe hotrod

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2005, 03:31:24 AM »

;)the process of grooving and painting white walls on tyres is now illegal as it voids the tyre warrantyand it is dangerous to alter the sidewall of a tyre??my mate also had the painted whitewalls and they didnt last very long at all,the paint or acrylic cracked up and they looked pretty shocking,he was very dissapointed,so i suppose thats why we like the flappers!!they have been used on hotrods for many years now plus they look much cooler than the pissey 1cm white band!!,the only time they damage your tyres is if your running radial tyres,the sidewall has a lot more flex than a crossply type tyre, thats when they do damage!!i have got flappers on my fe and they are real old dunlop ones that have been on there for years,and there,s no damage to the sidewalls!!!i suppose thats my 2 bobs worth!!!any one wanting some portawalls in 13or 14 can pm me or ring me so i can get a idea of how many sets are wanted,i will do my best to help guys out on the forum by not charging much more than i get them for!!!i will find out how much in a couple of weeks.....cheers jamie ;)0408851404 Wink
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2005, 04:57:02 AM »

Thx FE hotrod,
there ya go, flappers the lesser of two evils and looks cool too.
Wink

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
HARKO
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2005, 03:58:19 PM »

Im running flappers on the FC which is driven every day with radials and I have noticed sidewall wear but although it looks bad I would suggest it is very minimal ,Its more like polishing the wall but Ive been armour all - ing between the two and its quietened them down and in turn slowed the wearing .
I was told not to armour all the flappers or the tyre because it discolours them , A mate has been down this road and now uses paint (house paint) on the flappers.

And another angle on white wall add ons is the tyre has to be prepsoled over n over to get the natural oils out of the rubber before applying the whites otherwise it discolours or cracks up quickly.

Ive also cut a groove in my tyres once in the past and used a P4 roller dye which needed reapplying every 4 weeks or so - great to have white walls that didnt cost a cent , Or maybe it cost a dollar or two running the car in gear on a jack stand to cut em in.

Also Ive seen flappers that are about 2mm thick ,Anyone had any experiance with these ones - little tyre wear possibly
fe hotrod

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2005, 02:42:59 PM »

;)Goodaye guys,im having a ball here!!!done some ringing around to try and find out about the portawalls should hopefully buy some this week,i,ll keep you posted on the progress!!cheers jamie Wink
HARKO
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2005, 11:53:55 AM »

I am soooo jelous Jamie  Grin .I hope your using your Ozzie accent and slang to your full advantage mate .
If you can fit em in grab another set of 14s for me so that makes two sets - These are the thick wall style arent they ? If they are the thin 2mm type Im not real keen on those because of their wrinkled appearance around the edges after wearing.
A thousand thank you's if this all works out.
fcwgn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2005, 11:59:15 AM »

I have 14" portawalls on my fj  from cali speed supplies, $100, I would never buy them again,
I also have the 13" on my fc from antique tyres  made in England, $130 set of four, you need to use rubber grease between tyre sidewall and portawall to prevent friction.

They're sweet
fe hotrod

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2005, 03:41:44 PM »

;)harko i wont be bringing any back if there the thin type,cause they arent worth shit,i will be back in L.A. in about 7 days,there are a heap of rod shops there so i will also check em out,man this place is hot rod,custom heaven!!!i went to the L.A roadster show,man too much there to take in,the american after market car parts is mind boggleing,i,ve so far taken about 700 photos!!! i,ll be back on in a couple of days with a bit more of an update!!!cheers jamie Wink
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: