FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 08, 2024, 02:24:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Wedgewood Blue????  (Read 11501 times)
earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« on: April 21, 2005, 04:40:59 AM »

Not to sure where to post this item, but i need a picture of an FE / FC painted in Wedgewood Blue or can anyone let me know of a very similar colour,
A mate of mine insists his uncles one owner ute is wedgewood, but I cant find the colour on the  website ( FE FC Colours section).
I am waiting for him to send through numbers to help verify this? Was Wedgewood Blue an FC colour? If it is would the interior be similar to Hilda's colouring?
Any help would be appreciated.
Matt
gp
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2005, 04:44:16 AM »

I believe Wedgewood is an FB/EK colour?

Maybe Ken can shed some light on this?

Cheers,

Graham
earlyholdenfan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 04:49:55 AM »

Thanks Graham, that is some of the confusion I was trying to clear up,
I havnt seen the ute yet, and am waiting on numbers to come in to verify the truth, but I thought it was a later model colour as well, he claims it is late 59 (again numbers will tell) and is definately Wedgewood, So i was chasing a picture I could send to him to verify the colour?
does that make any sense??
Matt
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 06:22:18 AM »

It is possible, but extremely unlikely that this car is Wedgewood Blue.  The body plate will tell you for certain.  There were a very small number of cars made in late '59 with FB bits and pieces on them - Brett's (HAD708) sedan is like this, and has a trim number of "SPEC" to identify the fact that it has a non-standard interior.  These cars are, as you can imagine, very very rare.

The reason I doubt very much that this car could be Wedgewood Blue is because that colour was not available in Duco, but was one of the "Magic Mirror" finishes, otherwise known as Dulon or acrylic paint.  This was introduced in mid-1960, so even if this ute was one of the very last FCs, it still seems ridiculously early for a paint 'mule'.

It's far more likely the ute was Skyline or Cambridge Blue.  As you say, the numbers will confirm.

Skyline Blue: 286-2051
Cambridge Blue: 286-2033
Wedgewood Blue: 586-0115

cheers
RET
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 06:23:25 AM by ret » Logged

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 06:49:15 AM »

Hi.
RET has pretty much nailed it. If anything, the early FB's still had FC colours.
My FB 215 is painted in DUCO "Hi-Gloss Black", an FC colour.
The Magic Mirror black is called "Carlsbad Black".
The compliance plate confirms this. My FB is number 108 off the 215 production line.

I am looking forwrd to see the ID plate details.
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
COL58FE

FE225

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 07:16:44 AM »

hi,
  my fb 215 is wedgewood blue same number's as RET

said.if you want to see the colour and compare just look

in  real car's first page(FB215 UPDATE PIC'S),hope it

help's but i can't see it being this colour unless it's fb-

ek.but ya never with the HOLDEN boy's back then.COL58FE/COL60FB Wink
« Last Edit: April 21, 2005, 07:18:10 AM by dawry351 » Logged
earlyholdenfan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 08:10:00 AM »

Thanks guys, that is why I wanted to ask the professionals, will eagerly await the plate details to confirm! and settle the argument once and for all
Matt
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2005, 08:32:43 AM »

Actually ret, Brett's car is painted in FB colors, but the paint is duco not lacquer.  His paint details on the ID plate are as follows
PAINT 253-2327 (Corana Grey)
INSERT 253-9640 (Arctic Beige)
TOP 253-2327 (Corana Grey)

So it is possible for a paint prototype FC in Wedgewood Blue, but with 253 prefix, not 286 or 586 prefix.

Look forward to seeing the ID plate

Ken
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2005, 08:35:34 AM »

Whoa!!

Man, you learn something everyday!
Now I am REALLY keen on seeing that plate!

Ken, why would they paint an FC (Bretts) in FB colours, then release an FB (Mine) in an FC colour? Huh

Rob J

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2005, 09:00:39 AM »

The only reason I can think of for having the FB in Hi gloss black rather than Carsbad black is that GMH did not have the Carsbad formula right, or they thought they had it right, then after painting a few early FB's there were problems and they had to revert back to the FC colour.

Makes for interesting musing why things happened, the annoying thing is that we will probably never know.

Ken
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 10:41:05 AM »

I respectfully disagree with you there, Ken.  I know Brett's car is FB colours, but the fact it is Duco is unsurprising.  It's a prima facie "special build" though, no doubt about that.

As far as Rob's car is concerned, it's paint code 4, Black (Hi-Gloss), which is the same code that was used from the first black 48-215s right through.  It even has the same BALM number (253-6258, with a 1 in front in the early days) from 1948 forwards.  Hi-Gloss Black is not per se (how good am I going with the latin in this post? Roll Eyes) an FE/FC Colour, I guess is what I'm saying.

Dulon paint appeared in the second half of 1960, so all FBs until that point were painted in Duco, and as he says, his is the 108th FB-215, so pretty early.  There were even a group of new Duco colours for the FB (Arctic Beige, Biscay Green, Mandan Red, Sandstone Beige, Desert Glow, Belmont Green, Alpine Blue, Royal Glow, Lucerne Blue, Fernando Yellow,  Corona Grey, Buckskin and Raphael Ivory), all of which were superseded by Dulon.  Unsurprisingly, the colours of Brett's car are amongst them.

I certainly don't think it was a case of reverting back to Duco.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 08:38:23 PM »

Again, Whoa!
Thanks for that RET. I will be putting that info into my little "Interesting snippets" folder.

As for the use of Latin, superb! Believe it or not, my God Mother is a Roman Catholic Nun (Not that I ever see her  :-/), one of her favourite sayings was "Pulvis Tauri Cerebra Confudit"!
I will leave that with you, RET, so you can translate & see why she was sometimes referred to as the "Wild Nun"! Shocked

Sorry for going of on Tangent, lets get back to the Blue!

Rob J Grin

earlyholdenfan

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2005, 12:00:06 AM »

The owner of the ute has promised to get me details of the ID plate this weekend to hopefully finally solve this mystery, but it does go to show what I have always said, there is always someone out there with the answers to your questions, or the ability to create twenty more questions.
Matt
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2005, 12:56:19 AM »

Pulvis Tauri Cerebra Confundit

Literally "The dust of the bull may confound the brain" or broadly equivalent.  Something along the lines of "Baffle them with Bullsh!t" Grin

Latin was never my strong suit.  I think I - like Brian - would have been made to write "Romans Go Home" 100 times around the palace walls...

Good one, Rob.

REDMR2RED
vic-club

Model: FC

FC Ute's d'best

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005, 03:39:57 AM »

Skyline Blue: 286-2051
Cambridge Blue: 286-2033
Wedgewood Blue: 586-0115

cheers
RET

Hi RET, my Skyline Blue FC Ute's paint code is 256-2051

You say 286 I checked again and it is 256.  Is my 256 right?  I'm asking because I'm ordering some touchup paint now.

Kevin
REDMR2RED

1959 FC Holden Ute
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2005, 04:14:07 AM »

256 is (also) correct.  The first number describes the paint type (and manufacturer, I believe) and the second number is the BALM paint number.  More details can be found here.  My paint book must be from a different manufacturer.

cheers
RET

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2005, 05:05:07 AM »

Hi Guys.
Kevin, you will also note that your ute (Or is it my old ute? Wink) has a strange build number. It has 2 numbers stamped over the top of one another. It looks as though whoever stamped it, did it wrong, then "Fixed" it.
It is definately "Skyline Blue", with a "Pheasant Blue" interior.

Rob J

REDMR2RED
vic-club

Model: FC

FC Ute's d'best

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2005, 05:37:07 AM »

G'day Rob, yep your old Ute, my new Ute   Wink

I'll be in Tassy for Targa, I'll send you a PM

Kev

1959 FC Holden Ute
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2005, 07:52:41 AM »

I didn't realise FB started in Duco and then changed to Acrylic
In fact I know very little about FB's.  This answers the whole thing then

As for Latin, I know even less

Now Scotish is another matter -  Hoots Mun  Grin
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2005, 09:45:44 AM »

Speaking of Scottish, have you seen the April issue of Pist'n Broke yet?  Following a certain foot-stomping rendition of "500 Miles" to the tune of "Jeremiah Was A Bullfrog" that anyone who saw will be unlikely to forget, apparently the main protagonist has been bestowed with a new nickname: "Haggis McTailshaft" Grin Grin Grin

Which brings to mind some more Latin: "VENI VIDI VINO" (I came, I saw, I got drunk).

cheers
RET

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: