FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 10:41:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: WTD: handbrake (URGENT)  (Read 4913 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: December 06, 2004, 10:31:22 PM »

Hi,

Im after urgently a handbrake to suit FE. (need to put car on trailer).

the handle, bracket and cable retaining clip please.

If so, can somebody post one to me, will pay by EFT?

Cheers

Ed

0404 848 774

in the shed
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 10:40:35 PM »

Ed . Handle , Bracket and cable  retaining clip . So thats the Top assembly. Can post $25 includes post. Send details and I will send ASAP.

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 12:49:59 AM »

Wouldn't a winch be more useful?
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 01:00:10 AM »

Thanks Slim,

you have mail, please include relevant details for me too.

Ed,

winch for loading, working handbrake to help ensure she stays on the trailer.

although u have quite more experience in towing cars about
Tongue

Reckon an EH can tow the wagon (no motor) on a trailer?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 12:18:43 PM »

Ed,

Do not rely on the handbrake to hold the car on the trailer.  The car must be tied down at the front and rear in order to keep it on the trailer.  Use the front crossmember and the rear axle housing as your tie down points, try to tie it down so that each corner is held by diagonal forces (each corner is trying to pull the car that way).

If you rely on the handbrake only, the car will bounce off the trailer.  Trust me, it will happen.*  If you doubt my word, get a flat tray, put a biscuit or a book or whatever (with a low centre of gravity) and vibrate/lightly bounce the tray.  The thing you put on the tray will move.

Buy the handbrake assembly from Slim because it sounds as though you're missing that anyway - his price is better than what I've paid to others for similar.

Your EH is quite capable of towing a complete FE, let alone a shell minus driveline, glass & interior.  Go for it, with suitable caution.

Cheers

Brett

* A friend did not want to listen to me when he took a Hillman Hunter GT to be painted.  The car came off and rolled beside his car at a stop sign.

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 09:28:35 PM »

thanks Spinner,

I have some hefty ratchet tie downs for the job!  the wagon overtaking the EH would definitely be the last straw.

and thanks Slim for the handbrake.

much appreicated.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 10:29:30 PM »

Ed,

I understand that the aggregate weight of the trailer and its load must not exceed the weight of the tow vehicle in NSW.

Further, a towbar on an EH is not rated to carry a 750kg trailer plus a 900kg engine-less Holden, and I wouldn't rely on the 4 x 5/16 bumper bar bracket bolts that  attach the tow bar to the EH frame members.

The next thing is the brake capacity of the EH. If it's still got drums, forget it, as it can't even stop itself, let alone a 1600kg load.

Without wanting to sound like a kill-joy, consider the implications of failing to make an emergency stop at a busy intersection.

Not worth the risk. Spend the money on a tilt tray.

Regards

Edward

BTW, I occassionaly use a AU Falcon one-tonner which has a 1800kg Hayman Reese tow hitch bolted to the chassis - even then I don't think it's a particulary safe method.
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2004, 12:09:38 AM »

Edward,

Ur advice is duly noted, I am now arranging to use a Nissan Patrol instead of the EH.

Most people around me are freaking out that I'd even consider using the EH as a tow car (disc braked but still crap in the scheme of things).

As this is my 1st car towing attempt, Id prefer to be safe than sorry.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Fast_Eddie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2004, 12:21:24 AM »

Much better idea!
slim
Guru

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2004, 08:12:27 AM »

All went well.  ED did the Tow on his wagon no trouble. But how did things go from my joint on ED. Hopefully nothing to eventful happened !! Huh

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2004, 09:32:48 AM »

Where's your spirit of adventure you blokes, Huh All this talk reminds me of the time I took a car trailer on the back of my stock EK Hydra-matic wagon from Penrith to Weethallie ( the other side of West Wyalong) picked up a FE ute & towed it home.

All went well, albeit slooowwwlly till we got to Victoria Pass in the Blue Mountains, half way up the pass & at about 8pm the old Hydra-matic slowed down to a stop. Cry

Had to wait an hour for a good samaritan (in a F@&D ute) to help out,(couldn't leave for help as Ben was asleep in the back) took a rope or two off the ute tie downs, hitched the whole lot up to the back of the F@&D & off we went. Shocked

I couldn't believe there was someone crazier than me! The  F@&D, towing the EK, TOWING the ute on the cartrailer, UPHILL!

Taking off was the trickiest, as when I felt it starting to die, the only spot to pull up was the opposite side of the road, so we were going against the traffic & in the dark as well.

As we neared the top of the pass I started the engine, put it into drive & what do you know, it went, so after a very many thank you's we were able to complete the epic journey under our own steam.

Oh, the ute, wasn't too bad, but unfortunately I had to let it go as I did not have enough room in the shed, sound familiar. Cry
HARKO
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2004, 01:31:26 PM »

Very heartwarming story Zulu  Smiley The only bloke I can find these days that fits that bill is me boohoo.
I once broke down in Redfern Sydney after a night at Bass Hill drive in and a couple of laps Through Kings cross in a big ass Pontiac at about 3 in the morning - realising we were in the "Darkest" part of town we hotfooted it up the road to the closest place to use a phone which happenened to be a pub jammed packed full of silent shirts off natives when we arrived- had to do this twice before the towing company took us seriousley,
Got out OK but the following day whilst lost for directions I excused me to an old lady "count" 4 times for directions but  was totaly ignored or should I say brick walled by her
"Couldnt see her pulling up in a ford to tow the towing Holden" no way and they are supposed to be the nice ones ......
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2004, 09:30:54 PM »

HEllo,

the weekends towing adventure was successful and as usual it was fun to catch up with Alf, Glenn and Slim throughout the day.

I used a turbo diesel Nissan Patrol and it waltzed it in.  I did have the trailer hooked up for a short while to the EH, and i think it would of made it OK, but as Edward suggested stopping ability was compromised.

Zulu,
Your story sounds like a very memorable adventure and of course a stunning example of the "can-do" attitude of a Holden owner.

Harko,
A client parked their new ford ute on our work driveway last week.  returned to the vehcile 20 mins later, the window was smashed and phone stolen.

2 days prior, a new monaro parked outside had its window broken and im assuming item stolen.

most folk around here keep to themselves for fear of being mugged I think.

try riding a bicycle thru Waterloo sometime!

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: