FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 26, 2024, 05:44:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Stainless roof rail trim - FE Wagon.  (Read 8442 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: July 27, 2004, 10:16:04 PM »

prolly got buckleys of finding this.

roof rail trim to suit wagon.

any leads on good repro or aftermarket gear that will fit would be appreciated too??

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 03:26:43 AM »

Hey Ed, try the guys that go around the car yards dressing up 2nd hand cars. There used to be a product they put on car door edges like a chromed plastic channel & it may have been available by the metre.

If it's of any help, I just had a look at the same moulding on our FE Wagon & it is joined at each end across the top of the tailgate, so the whole thing is in 3 pieces.

You woudn't have a spare FE Wagon top near side 1/4 panel moulding (the one that runs along under the glass) spare would you?

Cheers, Gary
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 03:36:55 AM »

Hi Gary,

thanks for the tip... the biggest travesty is, I once had the stainless trim, and while i wasn't looking, it was mistaken for a piece of worthless metal and thrown out!!!

oh well.

the dress up trim stuff sounds a good place to stat, may venture along to my nearest supercheap for a look.

unfortunately no spare trim, otherwise you would be most welcome to it.

I always pick up spare wagon stuff when i see it, but I havent seen spare wagon trim yet.. if in my travels i see some i will pick it up for you.

on the subject of wagon trim... interior wise,

would you  have some interior trim panels which wrap around the sides?

I want to mould some up in fibreglass.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 04:10:40 AM »

Ed,

Can you be a bit more specific?

Are you after the pieces that line the sides of the wagon load area, under the curved windows?  

Spinner

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2004, 04:18:22 AM »

Hi spinner,

yep interior trim, lining the sides under the curved glass.

i guess the trim panels must be slightly curved too and slot into the rear tailgate post?

Cheers

Ed

gee haven't I been a post whore today...

in the shed
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 05:48:01 AM »

Ed, I have a mint NOS set that I plan to use in my 219, you are welcome to make a pattern off.

They are made of the same cardboard, like the kick panels up the front.

Regards, Gary
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 09:11:35 AM »

Ed, whilst I haven't done it I believe that the 2 front sections of the FE229 drip rail could be easily made from a pair of FE225 drip rails.  The rear section is the hard bit, but once again I believe that starting with a FE225 drip rail, you could heat and bend to form the appropriate shape then trim to fit.
Once all is right the piece could be polished and all would look original.

Ken
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2004, 09:12:15 AM »

Ed, whilst I haven't done it I believe that the 2 front sections of the FE229 drip rail could be easily made from a pair of FE225 drip rails.  The rear section is the hard bit, but once again I believe that starting with a FE225 drip rail, you could heat and bend to form the appropriate shape then trim to fit.
Once all is right the piece could be polished and all would look original.

Ken
COL58FE

FE225

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004, 12:32:17 PM »

g'day sorry to bust in on the thread but doe's anyone have some tip's on how to take a sedan one off without stuffin it. Huh
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004, 08:46:28 PM »

Hi GUys,

Col, I think you prise it off very very gently onc eu lif tthe lip a little u should be able to slide it up and over.  be careful not to dent it tho.

Ken,
I will give your idea a shot, 225 trims are.. from a sedan?  if so.. does anybody have these?

Gary,
Appreciate the offer to use ur minter NOS panels, but kind of scares me at the same time in case something may happen.

I could cover them up with plastic prior to moulding but the risk of damage is just too great.. wouldnt have some medicore ones with the correct shape instead?

CHeers

Ed

in the shed
earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2004, 10:48:10 PM »

Or just jumping in here with the NOS panel stuff, if you run them along to a motor trimmer  and they will cut to shape the cardboard - not original material but all the shape is there, then they can be bent to shape by Ed and moulded from, not mattering if they stuff up??
Anyway just a thought!
and Ed Not too sure but there is a n almost complete FC 229 Special sitting out behind AUSKARTS go kart centre in Melbourne that met a similar fate to "Tailshaft Tim" it still has all of the regular trim pieces in place, just if you were interested, body is pretty rusty but I know they are really keen to get rid of it (old employees car got dumped there..)
will crawl back in my box now hehe
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 01:49:48 AM by earlyholdenfan » Logged
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2004, 11:09:57 PM »

Ed I have a pair that a previous owner has cut out of masonite, but the originals are 2 piece each side, I only have the long sides, not the bits that cuve around the back corners.
But it would be simple to trace of the nos piece & cut out a template.
Gary
craiga
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 12:22:59 AM »

Ed,

If all else fails my wagon will be at the NSW AHD this weekend. If you need templates bring some cardboard/paper and a pen. We'll rip them out you can trace away, and then we'll put them back in.

Cheers,

Craig.
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 01:03:09 AM »

Hello guys,

thanks all for your generosity.

the side flat panels are no problem to make, ive actually already traced out a templte from cardboardm I want to mould in the curved section into it.

I think I can prolly do this by some handy use of stretching material over the curve and hitting it up with fibreglass resin.

Hopefully will see u all at AHD, this w/e.

I am flat out prepping my motorcycle for an Outback adventure, if the preps work out, I should be there.

Earlyholdenfan, unfort im in Sydney and not sure if the trim bits travel too well.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2004, 01:25:46 AM »

FC sedans and wagons don't have the drip-rail trim.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
earlyholdenfan

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2004, 01:54:10 AM »

Thanks Ret for adding to my continual education of the intricacies  of these as I am only new to the game I really do appreciate it!
Maybe if one of the Melbourne guys can use the wagon or it's parts it is there!
Cheesy
-KIWI-

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2004, 03:02:04 AM »

not sure if this helps but i have a nos moulding
which is labeled fe roof reveal no part number but i belive it may be 7410139 or 7410140 group number
12075 can supply picture if that helps?

kiwi
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2004, 03:44:49 AM »

hey sounds gr8 kiwi,

is this part for sale or just part of a NOS private collection?

thanks for the FE fact tip RET.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
-KIWI-

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2004, 04:24:12 AM »

i dont have a fe
packing it would be the hardest part would have to be taped to  flat cardboard or similar
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2004, 07:36:43 AM »

Regarding roof drip rails, FE225 (sedan) FE229 (wagon)
The easiest way to remove them is to use a large chisel with the end blunted to about 2mm in width.  Gently tap along the edge and the rail will slip off without bending
The reason why using a chisel is that it has a long edge to spread the load out over the longest length possible.

Re the items Kiwi has - these would be sedan moulds They would be about 6 feet long dipping on each end
Does this sound right Kiwi?

I have plenty of sets of s/h sedan moulds for sale for $20 the pair, but freight is a killer for something so big and long.

Regards  Ken
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: