FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 23, 2024, 01:32:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: REAR MOUNTED RACK AND PINION  (Read 4446 times)
FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: April 06, 2004, 08:25:38 AM »

HAS ANY ONE DONE A REAR MOUNTED COMMODORE RACK WITH A 304HOLDEN AND TURBO 700. I WAS THINKING ABOUT USING RODS RACKS TO DO THE CONVERSION BUT I WANT TO USE A VN STEERING COLUMN AS WELL

fatboy
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 08:55:56 AM »

You might find the vn column is a bit short and will need lengthening. This is what I found using a vp one which should be the same.
I think the vn/vp heater will be too bulky to fit as well.

fcguy

v8 fc sedan :)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 10:07:47 PM »

how are u all going ive done a rear mounted steering rack it wasnt power steering but a manual steering rack  but you could do it with powersteering but this was cheaper at the time i got a vh commodore rack shortend and mounted on the x-member with a reco rack all done for $300 and all u do to mount the standard commodre tierod ends to ur stub axles of choice is use standard hr drum brake steering arms the part that bolts of the stub axle i bolted mine to a set of standard hz stub axles and it works fine u then use a vb-vk commodore column preferabley off the same car that u got the rack to suit if its a vh manual steering rack which mine was u use a vh manual steering column as the knucles and arms are different lengths and sizes to the pwr steering one hope this helps u out the only hitch is u have to cut a bit out of our sum to suit it i used a torana sum with a l shape cut out of it and i also designed my own engine mounts and had a metal fabricator make them up then had those welded to the x-member by a licencedd welder and i can use standard commodore engine mounts but u have to use mounting brakets off a torana as they sit much forward compared to the commodore ones which i found out the hard way hope this helps you contact me for more info just leave a message here with ur email  if u need any other help
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2004, 11:27:17 PM »

Hey FatBoy..

( my computer server at work has the same name!)

anyway... Ive been fitting, refitting, motor, box, exhaust in my project alot over the last few weeks. (308/TH400)

Im not saying it cant be done (because it can be done with perseverence)  but to fit a 308 and TH700 and rear rack will be tight to say the least.

as FCGUY mentions sump mods will need to be performed, probably reversing a sump and front mounted pick up may be the go, but you will need to baffle it properly to prevent all your oil from going rearward under heavy acceleration.

you will also need to consider where your trans cooling lines run (believe me there isnt a lot of room),  there are some nifty inline trans coolers available now, but Im not sure of there efficacy in traffic.

Running a comm rack and V8 will leave you with no option but to run your exhaust out the inner guard,  practical but ugly in my opnion.

despite all of this, it is possible.  

your choice of rack need not be limited to only commodore either, any rack will do provided you can get the rod ends and geometry right.  If you get a commodore rack shortened Y not shorten a "Brand X" rack.

maybe some of the steering rod departure angle (from the racks) are diferent on different racks??  giving more clearance for the motor?

Any column will also do the job so long as you can fit it up nicely to the steering joint.  Inevitably you cut it and weld it to suit.

consider also moving the motor about to facilitate fit up.. this may involve recessing the firewall.

theres a website for an HR with Chev and comm rack for more info on early holden V8'ing.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2004, 05:12:03 AM »

Hey Fatboy,

To go with Ed, I would say that the rack I have got is the most dissapointing piece of my car. The turning circle is as big as the Titanic. And up and down the hills is good for the arms.... I used a Hadfield Rack and would STEER away (Not bad for a pilot) from this option again.

Cheers
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
folie

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 09:04:22 PM »

Have a look at http://www.rodsracks.com.au (in Queensland)
I know of people that have used them in conversions and say they are one of the best conversions they have seen.
They only problem that they require you to supply a rack etc
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2004, 04:32:43 AM »

Take a look at Hoopstars garage.

very nice site, beautifully engineered HR 350.

http://homepages.picknowl.com.au/hr350/index2.htm

This car is inspiring. (to me anyway)

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: