FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:47:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Picnic Basket 50''s era  (Read 5975 times)
HAD 708

Model: FE

Holdens and the Mighty Woodsmen truly magnificent

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2004, 12:50:33 AM »

I am chasing a 50's era picnic basket/set in good condition to suit my 59 FC wagon. I am quite willing to pay good money for it in the right condition as i have been combing the relevant shops and markets and as yet i have been unable to find anything suitable. Please let me know if anyone knows of one for sale or they would like to sell their own i am genuine and very keen.
Brett
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 12:51:33 AM by Brett_Gillard » Logged

Brett Gillard
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 08:03:30 AM »

Brett...I'm a little green when it comes to pieces of old Holden collectables and accessories, so I'm not sure if you're talking about an old Holden accessory Picnic basket ( if there was such a thing ), or just a picnic basket from that era ?

So given I'm not entirely sure of what you are chasing, this information may be of little or no use to you, but what the hell, I'll give it to you anyway...

In the late 50's...like 1959, a little car called a Mini was born...( I know lots about these cars )...and in the very early days, there was a genuine accessory PICNIC BASKET that was designed in such a way, that it would fit under the back seat.
These baskets were made of wicker and were a period accessory ( as it's called ).

Now although the shape is probably a bit weird, and it may not be exactly what you are chasing, but from memory, there was a guy who started to make new replica ones to the exact measurements of the original.

I'd have to really delve back into the memroy banks for remember who and where, but never the less, they are being reproduced.

This may not help you, but if nothing else, it was an interesting story.

Good luck with your search !

Mark
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 08:32:18 AM »

Brett
I took this photo at the National Motor Museum. Is this the sort of thing you are looking for.

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 09:28:39 AM »

hi brett    i have a set like that in jims pic but orange plates etc in a blue case.   the brand is "sunjoy"     im missing the flasks.      i paid about $30 for it in our local 2nd hand shop, so they're around.  also  since buying this one ,ive seen one the same on ebay
                  happy hunting  
                     trev
« Last Edit: March 09, 2004, 09:30:10 AM by robbzfc58 » Logged

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
HAD 708

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 12:47:03 PM »

Thanks guys for the replies. The picture is roughly what iam after and not fussy what color etc but would like to get one complete a few of our vic members have one but with the interest in retro gear they are very hard to pick up hence the wanted add.As far as iam aware they wre not a Nasco or Holden accesssory just made up by companies to cater to the caravaning and day trip market in the 50's and 60's.
Brett

Brett Gillard
fcfromscratch
wa-club

FC - Fantastic Cars

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 12:25:35 AM »

Hi Brett,

like Trev says, they're out there.....we were looking for one recently and saw several (at the time) on eBay...just do a regular search under picnic baskets or collectibles and see what comes up....eventually you will find one you like....and then there's just the little issue of price...what you are prepared to pay on the day...

cheers, Brad
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2004, 10:15:56 AM »

Hi Guys
Guess what I found, I was not sure if it was the same so did not buy it, I am hoping it is still there when I go back.
It was NOS and in perfect condition and all for $25.

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2004, 02:18:30 AM »

Brett
Glad to see you got what you where chasing on EBay and at a real bargain price, was it as good as it looked in the picture?
John M

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
HAD 708

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2004, 06:57:50 AM »

A great get it was and in top condition almost new and the seller was great to deal with and very hapy that it had gone to a Holden enthuisiast. Thanks for everyones interest in my purchase it has ended up well.
Brett

Brett Gillard
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: