FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:20:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Waggot Heads  (Read 22524 times)
e_allbutt@hotmail.com
« on: April 07, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

Does anybody know if Waggot Twin Cam heads for the Grey motor are still readily available second hand & how much they are likely to cost? Do these heads attach to the later Red & Blue motors?
none@unknown.net
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

Do you have any idea of what you are talking about? .. i would say no!
e_allbutt@hotmail.com
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

Given that you have chosen not to give any identification & you are just trying to insult board users I'll assume that you are this Massage Board's Troll, Anyway, here's what I'm talking about, during the mid 60s Merv Waggot Engineering manufactured items for the Holden Grey motor, these items include a dry sump kit, a 7 bearing bottom end(opposed to 5 bearing) & The Twin Cam 12 port cylinder head that I mentioned, I was asking if these Cylinder Heads were still available on second hand markets & if they were compatible with Later Holden Six blocks.
Richard
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

There are very few parts that are interchangeable between Grey and Red motors.  Red/Blue/Black share many parts, but the Grey is a Grey is a Grey.
Waggott, Repco Crossflow, they're all as rare as rare.  For what it's worth, Speedway clubs seem to have the hi-po head market cornered, since that's where they were most popular.
Hope that's some help. RET
e_allbutt@hotmail.com
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

Thanks, you're more help than the last guy anyway, I know some other companies made twin cam heads for Greys but they were rarer than Waggot, I guess it would be fair to say that if I ever found one it'd cost thousands, I wouldn't imagine there are any company making copies are there?
Glenn (Adelaide)
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

There was a guy that Street Machine magazine did a write-up on last year, Bob Krogdahl (not sure about the spelling). This guy was trying to make twin cam cross flow heads for both later model Ford and Holden sixes. Not sure how far he got though.
tq5252@telstra.easymail.com
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

RE WAGGOTT HEADS FOR HOLDENS. There were only 6 or 7 Waggott twin cam heads produced. All were made to order. Usere included the 'Marlo' racing boat and John French's 'Centaur/Waggott' sports racing car. Merv also made 7 main bearing billet crankshafts with main bearing girdles for greys with capacity up to 190cid. I am proud and privilaged to say that I worked at Waggott Engineering while Merv was alive.  He was a great Australian engineer. tq5252
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

RE WAGGOTT HEADS FOR HOLDENS. There were only 6 or 7 Waggott twin cam heads produced. All were made to order. Usere included the 'Marlo' racing boat and John French's 'Centaur/Waggott' sports racing car. Merv also made 7 main bearing billet crankshafts with main bearing girdles for greys with capacity up to 190cid. I am proud and privilaged to say that I worked at Waggott Engineering while Merv was alive.  He was a great Australian engineer. tq5252
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2001, 12:00:00 PM »

Jaycorover

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 01:12:58 PM »

I worked at Waggott"s in 1963, and I worked with Ken Waggott doing up a twin cam Grey Motor for John Peers Midget speedcar. We ran the motor up on the dyno on a Sunday morning, but had to wait till it was a reasonable hour before we did. For those that had not seen Merv's dyno, it was a very frightening experience. It was all out in the open, in the rear of the workshop, and it had blown the clutch plate once before, leaving holes in the roof. When Ken tried to get it up to full power, he found it was starving for fuel, so he took the needles out of the seats in the carby's [which were 2" SU's ] it was running on Methanol. With the needles out of the carby bowls it run up something impressive, with steam and smoke pouring off the unit and a hell of a noise. I don't know how John Peers did with the motor in his midget, maybe somebody else does?
GreyFC

Model: other Holden

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 08:18:25 PM »

They are out there I know were a few are.  So amazing, so rare.  They can be topped though ( IMO ).

Best bet would be to convert a Jag head.

Gary C
wa-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 10:11:12 PM »

Anybody know what sort of flow the waggotts or repco highpower were purportedly making in the day also what about lift what sort of lift were these "big" horsepower engines producing.

Im starting to think a lot of the grey engine  horsepower claims are and were grossly exaggerated!

Gary
GreyFC

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2015, 10:40:15 PM »

My friends Repco is flow benched at 270 on inlet. 

My YellaTerra custom by Churchie is 167hp at .4

Waggot well I'll have to ask my other friend but I'm pretty sure he has never had it on a flow bench.

GreyFC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2015, 07:55:13 PM »

Anyone know where all 9 of the heads ended up?

Gary C
wa-club

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 09:17:02 PM »

Dont know where the Waggotts are but if you got a repco in your shed or know someone who does, I want it and Im prepared to pay for it.

Gary.
GreyFC

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2015, 01:08:45 AM »

There is one for sale currently 18k

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2015, 08:43:54 PM »

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/camden/engine-engine-parts-transmission/holden-grey-repco-crossflow-engine/1072741652
Regards
Alex

GreyFC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 07:14:29 AM »

This is what I know about that Repco

3 1/8 bore
Balanced bottom end
25/65 cam
11:1 compression ratio
Head has been cracked and repaired twice

Engine comes without a flywheel
Engine comes without a harmonic balancer
Engine comes without the carbs ( they are setup for methanol )

No billet main caps
No girdle
Normal Holden conrods
Cast pistons ( not forged )

Looks to be very clean, all invoices can be provided, inspection under tappet cover most welcome, engine has done about 30 mins track work on current setup.

A genuine guy and a genuine reason for sale ( by what I took from speaking with him ).

A nice setup but personally I think priced NOT to sell given the amount of people after one and it's still around weeks later.

The last one I was offered in December 2014 sold in 24 hours.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: