FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 28, 2024, 12:47:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: what free standing heater and demister in fc sedan  (Read 6463 times)
fcguy

v8 fc sedan :)

View Profile WWW
« on: October 12, 2003, 06:23:41 AM »

hi all im currently putting a v8 into a fc sedan body is coing along well just gotta get top coat on but ill wait till motor is in ive got the two speed wipers the rack and pinion steering disc brakes all round the crs chassis kit and a brake booster with dual circuits im in the process of lookin for a freestanding heater and demister any ideas on models of cars to look out for in the wreckers anything at all would be gr8 for sum assistance any other help would b good too if anyone has info about v8 problems they occurred
-KIWI-

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2003, 06:58:03 AM »

ive got a mate with a freestanding heater out of an ek s/w its not a warmerride put can find out and post a pic 4 u if you like
folie

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2003, 10:26:41 AM »

Aussie Desert Coolers (Norm 03 94704449) are making 7inch Cub heater/demister set up. It looks OK except for the fan which appears to be under size. This appears to be type used by the electronic industry. They didn't have a working one on my last visit. So I don't how good the air flow is.
Regards
Bryan
« Last Edit: October 13, 2003, 10:31:06 AM by folie » Logged
fcguy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2003, 08:54:45 PM »

yeah that would be great if either of u could post me sum info on those ehaters i need one asap i wanna get it installed b4 i paint the car o i dont scratch the paint
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2003, 09:29:08 PM »

hi fc guy, i
tried looking at a few heater units out of early jap cars,  there are a few that would fit with a bit of effort. but try and look for a 60 series landcruiser. there is a small heater mounted beneath the drivers seat to heat the rear passengers. around 30cm long,20 wide and about 10-15 deep. very small complete unit. these pump out a fair bit of heat .(my father used have one of these landcruisers) then i just got someone to make up a surround with two 30 mm holes for demisters and another two 50mm holes for heating. i intend to mount it flat on the trans tunnel but there is room under dash. if there is not enough air being pumped around fit a couple of 12 volt computer fans and away you go!
hope this helps
dean

could send you pics if needed!

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 04:00:43 AM »

Did I hear Heater and V8 conversion in the same sentence??

Heaters... the bane of my existence.....

I searched hi and low for a compact unit and ended up using the Smiths Beehive type.. nothing else looks better that that  Grin

I modified the water inlets and used elbows instead allowing me to plumb thru the firewall in the most discreet place. I also added a heater tap to regulate the flow of water and therefore heat.

The heater sits in a slightly different place to normal because of the modified firewall but more or less the same.. I'm not restoring this car so not overly concerned.

Im using fibreglass reproduction demister vents (by yours truly) and pool hosing to direct the air onto the screen.

For a rear demist, I got these little heated bars under a chrome cover that sucker cap onto the window.  very discreet may come in handy one day.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2003, 07:17:00 AM »

I actually manged to find an electric heater that fits neatly under the dash and pumps out a reasonable amount of heat. I have not yet rigged up the demister vents but it shouldn't pose a problem. I may even rig up a second heater unit just for the demisters. These units are about 7 inches wide 3 inches high and about 7 inches deep. The best part.....no heater hoses, the main drawback...the fan is a little noisy on high.
Cheers
Jock

Cars are my life not just my work
ChrisB

"Shiny Bits"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2003, 09:11:30 AM »

Hi Jockster, what was it out of, need something like that for my 36 plymouth

ChrisB  Cool

Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2003, 11:47:28 AM »

Chris
The heater was brand new, I got it from a camping and off-road site, I will see if I can find the address for you
Cheers
Jock

Cars are my life not just my work
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2003, 02:40:53 AM »

hi all
i have also seen electric heaters intended for use in bobcats
and the such. they can be quite expensive around $600 but they are tiny and do work. check out a good electrical wholesaler or bobcat suppliers. you might be lucky and find some second hand. they are only about 6 inches long and only a few deep.

i am yet to finally fit it up but im hoping to mount my landcruiser unit on my trans tunnel  so it lays flat, as designed and conceal it with the centre console. the plumbing should (in theory) be able to run down the back of the motor and up over the top of the gearboxbox so no hoses or holes through the firewall. and i still should be able to use my air vent.

heres to theory anyway Grin

will try and post pics soon.

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
fcguy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2003, 09:48:43 PM »

hmmm it all seems good but im on a budget so i was told a suzuki van heater unit is small and compact and it almost fits like it was meant to be if anyone has help about seatbelts let me know how to mount them in the b pillar as well as the c pillar in the back
FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2003, 07:20:50 PM »

Hey fcguy
              With my FC V8 Wagon I did'nt want heater hoses running through the engine bay so I used two 12volt modified hair dryers mounted under the dash that pump hot air up to the windowscreen via the vents(ED'S ONES) This meets rego requirments for NSW.
Glenn

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2003, 07:32:12 AM »

Hi All.
fcguy and ChrisB. There is a electric car heater on Ebay, item number 2437884576 bidding is currently at $42.00. Wink
Regards ACE Cool
craiga
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2003, 09:22:04 AM »

After seeing the one on eBay that Ace suggested I decided to have a bit of a search around on the web and found these:

http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/steelhordelh.html

http://www.safetycentral.com/12volcarheat.html

http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/halinheat.html

Hope it's of some use.

Cheers,

Craig.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2003, 09:26:31 AM by craiga » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)