FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:14:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: WNTD: Running Grey Motor  (Read 5881 times)
spinach

chrome is better than plastic.

View Profile
« on: September 17, 2003, 09:47:30 PM »

Hi Guys,

Just got my car back from the shop and found out that the compression is shot, normal is apparently 140 somethings, and a couple of my cylinders are only 70 somethings, with the rest at about 100 somethings. I'm going to re-build this motor, but need something to keep the car alive while that happens. Anyone have a spare running grey lying around? I'd prefer South Australia due to frieght costs, but I'll make exceptions for a good motor.

thanks in advance.

Luke.
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2003, 01:41:01 AM »

Hi Spin.
Is it the original motor? If not, I would be more inclined to get another one rebuilt & then swap them. Repco actually do an exchange Grey motor service. A fully rebuilt long motor is $2,200 exchange. Not too bad when you add up the cost of the bits & pieces. Or, you can go the modified route & get a nice warm Grey built somewhere else & then swap them over. Less work & less cost.
RJ

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
spinach

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2003, 02:11:19 AM »

hi rob.

ta for the advice. it's not my original donk but it's done plenty o' trips with me and the boys, so I'm kinda attached to it now. One of my best bud's works for City Holden over here in their HSV service dept (hate him for that), he wants to re-build the grey himself. Only cost me in parts and beer, thats why I was after a running replacement to get me to work.

Luke.

PS- Will have your main cap doohickey back to you asap mate, had all the blocks made and drilled and the grub screws made. Just looking for a place to make the bolts for me out of some high grade type steel.
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2003, 04:45:55 AM »

Hi Luke.
cool. Those bolts are just Grey motor head bolts, I am sure. You mat want to check, as this will save you big $$$
Regards,
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
spinach

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 08:33:02 PM »

cheers rob, I'll be going hunting for some this weekend at the wreckers.

Any takers on helping me out with the grey? I cant seem to track down a running one locally.

thanks.

Luke.
nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2003, 12:18:45 PM »

hi all,if you can put motor on one of those small pine pallets (you just have to ask at truck freight yard and they will probably give you one )rope motor tight to pallet and then wrap in heavy plastic,then deliver it to freight company that carts general freight to SA you will find that they wont charge an arm and a leg as long as you only send from one yard to another so they dont have to stuff around, thats if you live reasonably close to a general cartage firm Slim,as it will take a bit of running around,or maybe a few phone calls,i just sent a v8 windsor with clevo heads (boss302)engine to Melbourne for $170 that way after i found courier companies wanted over $700,
i realise if you have a full time job this option might not be feasable for you ,due to carting around engine in box trailer during working hours

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2003, 07:52:40 AM »

Spinach, there's a bloke selling a pretty rough FC in the Trading Post (at Richmond). He tells me it was a regular driver up unitl a few weeks ago, complete with HR front-end and running GREY motor, advertised at $750 I believe.

mike

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2003, 10:03:22 AM »

Hi Spinach I still have the running grey motor you rang me about

regards mike.
spinach

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2003, 08:50:50 PM »

Cheers for thinking bout me, but don't have enough room for another old holden at the mo! It's a good price for the parts though.

Mike sorry I havn't got back to ya mate, I should've called ya back mate, sorry. Been flat out like a lizard drinking, been trying to track down a crunch box at the same time, been driving to work in 2nd, no choice! Clutch hates me!

I'll give you a call this wknd mate.

thanks guys.

Luke.
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2003, 09:39:04 AM »

Luke
      I will be takeing the motor, gearbox & diff out of my FE this week some time I hope. Thing is I am on the Gold Coast so that may be a problem.

Regards
Mark

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
FE_225

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2003, 09:32:25 AM »

Hey Spin
Found this on another site, any use to you?
For sale: Stock 138 grey motor out of my EJ, complete fan to tailshaft - I know it runs but I'm not sure of the overall condition of the motor. Assuming it's the original motor its done 89,000 miles... which for a 40 y.o car isn't bad.
$150 ONO, pickup from Melbourne.
bulletrat1@optusnet.com.au

Cheers
Tony
PS  If you make the bridge caps to the specs I gave you, grey head bolts are the perfect length

Worried about fuel economy?....Then buy a push bike!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: