FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:58:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 3 speed gearbox gears  (Read 740 times)
Wookie66

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2024, 09:55:50 AM »

Hi all
Would anyone have or know where I might get the following gear’s for a greys 138 gear box, description out of the manual

- Gear - First and Reverse
&
- Gear - Counter
& maybe
the Gear Assembly Reverse Idler

I’ve not played with the gearbox box before so all new to me

Cheers
Trevor
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 06:54:25 PM »

Trevor,

I should have a usable first-reverse sliding gear, and I have reverse idler gears.  Cluster gears (aka counter gears) in good condition are like hens' teeth.

I have to ask - why do you want to replace them?  Chipped teeth?  Chipped teeth hardly ever happens to reverse idler gears, but more commonly to the first/reverse gear and the cluster gear.  Gears that have been in service for a while tend to round off the "pointing" where the teeth engage.  This isn't a problem, and even minor chipping around the points is tolerable.  Chipped teeth become a problem when, say, more than a third of the tooth's missing.

The things to watch out for are -

Pitting of the gear teeth, usually in a line along the base of the base of the cluster gear teeth where first gear engages, but also on the first/reverse sliding gear.  This condition makes for noisy first gear.

Pitting of the needle roller bearing bores at each end of the cluster gear.  It isn't a show-stopper if the rest of the gear's in good condition, it just makes for a slightly noisier gearbox in first and second.

If the gearbox is out of the car, and you've taken the bottom cover off, take photos of the sliding gear, cluster gear and reverse idler gear.  Post them up here and I'll tell you what I think based on their condition.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: