FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:42:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Repair/Rechrome damaged badge - is it worth the effort  (Read 4336 times)
Jolls
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: December 01, 2023, 01:04:25 PM »

Hi Team

I have very limited experience with the chroming trade so I'm seeking some advice on what is and isn't worth the effort of saving. The tailgate badge that came with the ute was snapped in two. I have managed to "weld" it back together; the joint is very strong but there is some porosity in the face side. The trouble being the weld material for pot metal is similar to solder but has a much higher melting point. If I reheat it,  at the point it becomes workable, the "weld" material will run out and I will be back to square 1.

I could purchase some heat absorption putty (used in the plumbing industry) and try to hold the weld material in and fix the air holes but am wondering if it is worth the effort.

My limited understanding of the chroming proces is that it relies on an electrcial current to do the dirty work. So if I have it right as long as I fill the air holes with a conductive material it should be able to be chrome plated. Is it as simple as that? The repair as it currently sits is shown below:

I am thinking of using a high lead content solder to fill in - pretty much the old lead wipe on a small scale

Is it worth the effort or am I simply on the lookout for a replacement tailgate badge.

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 02:17:31 PM »

Craig,

Take it round to Shane at Electroplating Technology in Queanbeyan.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 06:22:04 PM »

Craig,

in the model railway world, there is low temperature solder.  It is used for white metal kits.  Some of that might be your filling solution.

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 08:07:25 PM »

Craig,

Take it round to Shane at Electroplating Technology in Queanbeyan.

Rob

Thanks Rob,
I will drop in next week and see what he has to say. I have a bit to get done but proabably too early at this stage.
Cheers
Craig

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 08:09:57 PM »

Craig,

in the model railway world, there is low temperature solder.  It is used for white metal kits.  Some of that might be your filling solution.

Thanks for the heads up, the rods  I used for the pot metal are well over solder melting temperature so a low temp solder would be prefect. If the guru in Queanbeyan gives me the all good I will get some and see haw it goes.

Cheers n Beers
Craig

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2023, 06:37:04 AM »

Jolls ..The guys at All Metal Bumpers at Ingleburn declined to re chrome my FC rh front blinker/ park light body ...It appeared to have some sort of old repair , chrome would fail at that repair ,  they are one of the more difficult components and costly items to do , would be wouldn't it ???They asked me if I have another , I didn't, started a hunt , but they got me one through their contacts..maybe an avenue to consider ..Vern ..

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
Jolls
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 07:36:34 AM »

Jolls ..The guys at All Metal Bumpers at Ingleburn declined to re chrome my FC rh front blinker/ park light body ...It appeared to have some sort of old repair , chrome would fail at that repair ,  they are one of the more difficult components and costly items to do , would be wouldn't it ???They asked me if I have another , I didn't, started a hunt , but they got me one through their contacts..maybe an avenue to consider ..Vern ..

Thanks for the advice Vern, that is not what I wanted to hear but exactly the purpose of the question. I don't want to waste anymore time and effort on the badge if the end result is that I need to find another anyway. If it can't be rechromed it will get a prime place on the shed wall. If it can, I have saved myself a couple of hundred beer tokens! I'll take it to to the Electroplaters in Queanbeyan and see what they have to say.

I have a bumperette that has been dented and torn as well. I have persuaded the dent out but haven't quite got the alignment right yet as it is bent slighly along its length. I will need to do some MIG/TIG work to repair the tear if I can get it realigned. Again - no use wasting the effort if it can't be effectively plated. All of the other chrome bits are solid so I should be able to drop them in and get them done as a job lot. Not looking forward to that invoice!

Cheers n Beers

Jolls
old-blu
nsw-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2023, 03:31:20 PM »

Hi Craig. There is a process called "electro-forming", where a coating is applied over the pitted item to be electroplated. The coating will take the electroplating, however, having tried this on an headlight surround, I would avoid this process & suggest you locate another entire rear badge. I have seen these badges commonly break above the "D".  Kevin.

6th, may 1958 "I was there".
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: