FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 24, 2024, 12:27:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC Paint styles  (Read 2475 times)
Newby13

View Profile
« on: April 16, 2023, 12:17:14 PM »

Hi,
Just wondering if there is any way of knowing the original painting layout (main body, roof and boot along with the insert) on my FC Color codes are Fountain Blue and Indian ivory insert, does that mean that the only part of the original scheme that was ivory was the insert and around the doors? Also I have just noticed that the chassis no and the number on the body identification plate are different, is this going to cause any grief to me?
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2023, 02:50:12 PM »
+1

Hi Newby,

Welcome aboard!

The answers to some of your questions can be found in our Tech Info area, where you'll see there's a ID plate decoder that you might find useful.

Long story short though, yes, the details on the ID plate should be sufficient to identify the layout of the colour scheme, along with the chrome and stainless trim (or the holes where it was). If your car has holes on top of the rear quarters near the back window, then it would have had the chrome extensions for the late 1959 style. If it has holes in the "C" pillar where the roof meets the body, then it would have had the short piece of stainless separating the colours for a mid-59 style.

The ID plate will have a TRIM code that describes the colour combination (eg in your case it's probably 311-xxx, meaning India Ivory over Fountain Blue. The xxx is the interior trim colour). Then it will have PAINT, and possibly TOP and INSERT, which will help you to know what exact colour went where. The page linked above has all the details.

Also, there's no direct correlation between the ID number and the chassis number, so need to worry about that. The chassis number is what gets used on your registration papers. The ID plate on the firewall is just details for when the vehicle was under warranty, being serviced, or repaired etc. It's not a VIN in the modern sense, it just helped the service department correctly identify specifics about colours, trim, factory fitted options, etc.

The chassis number is the sequence in the factory where it was assembled. The ID plate identifies the sequence of the specific body style in the plant where it was manufactured. (Some vehicles - like mine - were manufactured in one factory and assembled in another.)

You'll find there are lots of knowledgeable people on this forum happy to help you, so if the answer to your question can't be found in the archives of this forum, feel free to ask as many questions as you want.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Newby13

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2023, 08:52:00 AM »

Thanks so much for that info you have helped greatly, I am going to try and come along to a meeting soon.
I have had this project going for some time but have now decided to put my foot down and work on it more often.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: