FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 08:02:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: re do the engine .  (Read 4090 times)
my8thholden
nsw-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2021, 07:35:44 AM »
+1

I was never happy with the engine I did in my FC , so I decided in the Covid lockdown to take it back out again and address a few problems ..so engine and gear box out ,
stripped the engine back down ,,did not remove the crank ..hone the bore ,fitted new little end bushes ,this was done in friends local machine shop , where he set me up in a milling machine where the job was held true whilst reaming with a guided reamer ,fitted new piston rings , the oil control rings being 4 piece rings from JP in South Aust ..also fitted new bushes to the rockers , this time reamer held solid and the rocker the moving part . used best pair of rocker shafts I could get , drilled the rocker oil holes 180 deg on other side and welded the old ones.so when fitted the shafts are now upside down to how they were ..identified a problem with the side plate , it was different dimensions from two others I have , 2mm wider top to bottom than others , and found a all together better rocker cover , fitted new fibre timing gear , fitted one of Harvs head gaskets , and used R51 sealant on all other gaskets ...put on test rig and made all adjustments , then back in the car , only noise you can hear in the engine if you put your head down next to the dissy you can just hear the points opening and closing ..keep well Vern ..

these days i'm half as good for twice as long
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 10:32:40 AM »

Ha ha, very well done, so can you set the timing by how loud the points click?

Ken
old-blu
nsw-club

Model: FE and FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 12:49:51 PM »

Hi Vern. Great result!  If the noise of the points bothers you, then look at installing a Petronics ignition set. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Kevin.

6th, may 1958 "I was there".
Errol62
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 11:34:56 PM »

Or take to the muffler with a nail punch 8 ) 8 )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2021, 06:58:50 AM »

I am making a note of these suggestions , we will see what the test of time reveals ...Vern ..

Snoop

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2021, 09:45:16 PM »

Nice work Vern !  Have to get you to listen to my grey sometime.
Old blue we are back in Sydney now will contact you soon re parts.
Cheers Snoop
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2021, 07:25:13 AM »

Snoop .. Welcome home , i have to make a time to come down to Narrabeen , I have a mate who has just moved there and we need to catch up ,i'll bring the Special and we can hold a board meeting and solve the worlds problems ...cheers Vern ..

Snoop

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2021, 06:23:48 PM »

Thanks Vern we were away five and a half months spent most of it around steep point in wa. Brought home some parts for the ute which I purchased in wa  nearly two years ago ( spare rear glass and some really nice chrome bits that seperate the glass). Your welcome to come down be nice to see another fc in the street , a Holden play date sweet !!
Cheers Peter.
my8thholden
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 08:50:31 PM »

So back to the weather shields Pete ?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode)