FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:48:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Dash light problem  (Read 3477 times)
Pahs59
nsw-club

Model: FE

Throw nothing away leave that for your children

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2021, 06:14:27 PM »

Can something inside these gauges collapse so as the dash light won’t illuminate I have the red lights when I turn ignition on and I have the fuel gauge and speedo lights illuminated and I know the light is working but just not showing through gauge...it’s got me going nuts
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2021, 07:27:18 PM »

Did you try the globe plugged into the back of the gauge with the dash out of the dash board? You may need to get a good earth on the dash while doing this (and be very careful running power to the dash when it is out of its retainer)
I suspect that it is an earth problem because there is nothing inside that collapses. Only the green indicator light has a green filter in it.

Ken
Pahs59
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 07:40:52 PM »

Thanks Ken I tried just pulling the globe holder out until I could just see the light and it is on as with the rest of the dash lights... I have an earth jumper wire onto the body and the dash as it was out..every time I put the dash back in and do the two screws back up again that one light goes out....I’m starting to think maybe a break in that wire that goes to the globe and it separates when the dash is in the right position..
 Dennis
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 04:38:47 PM »

Yes it does sound like a loose connection after all your experimental work

Pahs59
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 09:01:19 PM »

Problem solved...after having dash in and out at least six times and just as many new bulbs it turned out to be the globe holder  itself...for some reason it seems the bulbs were not making contact with the earth part in the holder..replaced it with a good used holder and now have dash lights...small things cause the most headaches,
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 01:11:30 PM »

Good work !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)