FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 05:46:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC army vehicle at Bandiana Army museum  (Read 15197 times)
peterwmh

View Profile
« on: August 19, 2003, 02:12:29 AM »

I have some photos that I can email interested persons, unfortunately they're too large to post here (ie exceed the 64K limit).  Show's the full car from LH front, the rear end and the dash

Peter

Never late with a 308!!!!
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 02:15:47 AM »

Could you email em to me at esposito350@ozemail.com.au      Thanks SLIM

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2003, 02:40:44 AM »

Have sent them.

Cheers

Peter

Craig Alderson
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2003, 03:12:11 AM »

Peter,

I would appreciate copies as well.

Please email to craig_alderson@yahoo.com.au

Thanks,

Craig.
slim
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Ring 0420768346 for genuine FE/FC parts.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2003, 03:31:14 AM »

Thanks very much Peter . Very interesting Pictures.Cheers

Im located at Liverpool, NSW
craiga
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2003, 05:28:32 AM »

Peter,

Photos posted for you. Hope you don't mind.

Cheers,

Craig.
craiga
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2003, 05:29:14 AM »

Here's the rear shot
craiga
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2003, 05:30:31 AM »

and the interior shot, which looks like an FC Standard interior. Peter, did you get the plate details?

robbzfc58
Guru

Gone but not forgotten.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2003, 08:12:38 AM »

blue horn button!  
theres a knob to the right of the ignition...whats it for 
« Last Edit: August 19, 2003, 08:15:12 AM by robbzfc58 » Logged

robbzfc58
RIP Trevor Robb: a good mate to all on the FE-FC Forum
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2003, 09:16:03 AM »

It looks like whoever put the bumper bars together got the centre sections mixed up between front and back. Number plate surround on front bar but not on rear bar, but I would still have it if offered Shocked
John M
Thanks for sharing pictures Peter and Craig.

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
Emu

Emu's Ashes pic - Aussies 5-0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2003, 06:21:45 PM »

Craig,

I think the use of the little knob is still classified information by the Department of Defence.

Suffice to say it had something to do with the launch of Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles with nuclear capabilities.

Matt
peterwmh

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2003, 10:07:09 PM »

Thanks for posting those photos Craig A, I couldn't do it from my PC as they were too large!  No I didn't get the plate details sorry.  I thought the FE bonnet emblem was a bit strange too, but it seemed to suit the FC actually!!

Sorry no idea what that button on the dash was for, I'll be sure to ask the next time I go there.

Peter

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2003, 11:35:32 PM »

I'd say that the restoration done on that FC was pretty casual.  In addition to the swapped bumper-centres (over-rider on front not back) and FE bonnet badge already mentioned, I also notice that it has no radio blanking plate, and an FB/EK speedo.

I have seen heater controls mounted in that space to the right of the dash before, but I can't tell if that's what is in this car.  It looks like a HR knob in that photo.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
craiga
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2003, 11:50:54 PM »

Peter,

Download this software application http://www.irfanview.com. I cannot recommend it highly enough for general image editing/resampling. And besides, it comes at the right price - FREE!

Cheers,

Craig.
rip_ute
vic-club

59 UTE and 59 S/W

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2003, 11:04:01 AM »

Craig. Hear's the plate details.

FC-215-4918M
     Trim 51-766
     Paint 253-5296

FC 84042M

Took some photos of engine bay but there all to dark. Has electric wipers and red motor air cleaner.
All these vehicles have been worked on by volinters so this is why there not perfect. I was talking to one of the guys there who said that they have a shed full of  vehicles waiting to be restored but no FE-FC's.

Peter.
craiga
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2003, 09:37:22 PM »

Peter,

Here's the results from RET's identification tool.

FC-215-4918-M Vehicle is an FC Standard Sedan, the 4,918th manufactured in Melbourne, Victoria.
51-766 The Exterior Trim Code (51) describes this car as Unknown: .
The Interior Trim Code (766) refers to: Unknown.
253-5296 The paint colour is Unknown colour code 5296 (in DUCO Lacquer)
FC-84042-M The vehicle was assembled during 1959, and was the 83,042nd FC (in any bodystyle) assembled in Melbourne, Victoria.

Your description of it's restoration makes sense and I think explains the use of "non-standard" items.

Interesting that the colours of both the trim AND the paint colour are unknown? Maybe this goes some way to proving that it was a special build Army vehicle based on the Standard model.

Can anybody else shed some light?

Cheers,

Craig..
« Last Edit: August 28, 2003, 09:38:31 PM by craiga » Logged
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2003, 10:32:34 PM »

The trim number for an Army Sedan is S1-767, but given that only the factory special orders have the letter "S" in them, I can see why Peter thought it was a "5".  Why the trim number is 766 I can't say, although I'd guess it was either mis-stamped, or it's possible that 766 had been the code for the interior of an Army FC-217, which by the time this vehicle was made should have fallen into disuse.

The unknown paint number 5296 does correspond with the BALM number for the Army colour "Deep Bronze Green".  This and the "S1" code proves the car is an original Army vehicle.

For what it's worth, the air-cleaner is original, the paper element type was introduced in about September 1959.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
rip_ute
vic-club

59 UTE and 59 S/W

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2003, 09:14:30 AM »

Ret, yes your right my 5's look like S's but the guy at the museum was reading the numbers out to me because it was to hard for me to see them. My wife was checking the numbers as I was writting them down but it could be 767 because the engine bay was dark. Hope someone can drop in and check the numbers. Peter
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2003, 09:22:26 AM »

I'm interested that it is an original Army vehicle.  It's funny isn't it, how there are none of these and in a matter of a couple of weeks, two turn up!  Steve Field's FJ Army ute was on display at the NSW AHD a couple of weeks ago, and it was a very interesting vehicle to look at.  I'll have to make sure I stop in and see this one when I'm down that way again.

cheers
RET

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2003, 09:46:29 AM »

Oneday (& I mean that), I will restore the FB ARMY ute that I have stashed. It has the special body codes, as it has bodywork modifications. Unlike the sedans, which just have the different paint & trim. I will scan the compliance plate off sometime & put it up on here so you can check it out. Hmmmm, wish it was an FE or an FC!!
Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: