FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:27:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: What is this stuff?  (Read 3128 times)
ekute

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2017, 04:45:51 PM »

Here is the bottom of the battery stand in the FE ute (see FEmad resurrection) , showing the orange rust preventative which was sprayed in all body cavities, under floor and suspension components, inside guards and engine bay, on the panels behind the grille, topside of the floors, inside doors and probably other places I haven't yet discovered!

It seems as though this was done in the factory because otherwise the vehicle would have to have been comprehensively dismantled to spray all the places it has been.
Here is some more proof of "factory"

I spent about 15 minutes with a wire wheel on the bottom and this is the result- bare metal with no sign of primer!
Does anybody know whether this was actually done in the factory? The evidence points to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 08:23:05 PM »
+1

I don't recall seeing a battery tray with red primer like that. I know Sydney plant dipped their bodies to about half way up the doors, so possibly it falls in here.
Adelaide and Melbourne cars would have a black painted battery tray with no primer.

Ken
mike

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 09:18:38 PM »

I don't think its factory primer - not maroon enough, looks like red lead which was a great rust preventer until it was banned.

Mike
ekute

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 09:23:14 PM »

Ken this coating is maybe 1/16" thick so it doesn't appear to be a primer.It has also been overcoated with maybe chassis black.
When I painted the engine bay with satin black lacquer from a rattle can it really dulled off quickly. I had previously wire brushed it by hand just to give a surface to which the paint would adhere.
The inner sides of the rear quarter panels are still absolutely perfect without any dirt/dust and looks like it was done last week.
This is a mystery unless one of the 2 previous owners was really anal!

ekute

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 09:24:52 PM »

Mike it's not red primer either. Maybe it was a FNQ thing. The ute came from Bowen.

ekute

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 09:26:33 PM »

I'll post a pic of the inside quarters later in this thread so you can see how they look.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: