FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:45:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Nominations for improved cooling head gasket  (Read 57809 times)
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2017, 07:41:14 AM »

Hi Harv, payment done.
Regards,
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Crumpsnr

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2017, 09:49:22 PM »

Payment sent Harv.

Many thanks,

Martyn (CrumpSnr)
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2017, 06:45:21 AM »

Ladies and gents,

A quick update. AA Gaskets has completed the tooling, and sent me a tooling sample on Monday. The image below shows a NOS GMH “better cooling” gasket, and a new AA Gaskets “better cooling” gasket:

(Rob: they have taken good care of your gasket, need to return it to you at some stage – very much appreciated).

For comparison, the photo below shows a new AA Gaskets “better cooling” gasket and a AA Gaskets standard grey motor gasket:

To help reconcile which holes are which, shown below is a bare cylinder head:

I did some comparisons (old, new and new “better cooling”), and the new gasket looks great. Have signed off on the sample, and will now pay AA to commence our run.

Cheers,
Harv
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2017, 09:21:48 AM »

Awesome stuff harv they looked fantastic..

ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2017, 10:07:51 AM »

Harv,

Interesting - it looks like AA Gaskets has made completely new tooling for the repro 7424869.  Comparing the holes on the standard head gasket, and their counterparts on the 7424869, the holes on the 7424869 are different, and smaller.

So they've made as close as possible to an exact copy of the 7424869, rather than removing twelve punch-and-die sets from the standard grey head gasket tooling.

I am impressed.

One question though - what's the maximum bore diameter usable on the sample 7424869?  3-3/16"?  3-1/4"?

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2017, 12:18:09 PM »

Harv,

Interesting - it looks like AA Gaskets has made completely new tooling for the repro 7424869.  Comparing the holes on the standard head gasket, and their counterparts on the 7424869, the holes on the 7424869 are different, and smaller.

So they've made as close as possible to an exact copy of the 7424869, rather than removing twelve punch-and-die sets from the standard grey head gasket tooling.

I am impressed.

One question though - what's the maximum bore diameter usable on the sample 7424869?  3-3/16"?  3-1/4"?

Rob

I was impressed with the quality too.

I didn't record the bore size, but did run the caliper over both the NOS "better cooling" one, the new AA Gasket "better cooling" one and a new standard AA gasket - all had the same bore shape/dimensions.
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2017, 02:21:31 AM »

It's been more than a few years since I've replaced a head gasket, which leads me into the next question.
Will the gasket be marked front and back or top and bottom?
The reason I ask is that the last time I did a grey head gasket, it was interchangeable.
The raised bead around the cylinder bore holes on the gasket are joined between the cylinders as shown in the new gasket and was face up when installed from memory, This was to prevent a blown gasket between combustion chambers/cylinders.
Can anyone confirm this?
The two gaskets that are shown for comparison, only shows the one side with the single raised bead around each cylinder bore hole.
The gasket imprint on the cylinder head shown shows the raised bead join between the combustion chamber, indicating the way the new gasket is shown in the photo is the correct way up when installed.

Regards Seb

Yellow Knight

fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2017, 02:42:05 AM »

Can someone copy and paste my above post re: gasket, on the FB-EK Forum please?
The site is not responding.

Regards Seb

Yellow Knight

Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2017, 06:16:05 AM »

Your right Seb, the grey head gaskets can be put on one way, or upside down. For the new gaskets, this will make a big difference, as the water holes are no longer mirror imaged. Put it on the wrong way, and the water flow will be affected.

I will include a note in the paperwork (perhaps a little sketch) showing which way goes to the front.

Cheers,
Harv
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2017, 06:48:55 AM »

Ladies and Gents,

A quick update. The run of gaskets have nearly been completed, with an anticipated delivery to me late next week (~23rd of June). Plan to get them out to you all in the fortnight following.

Cheers,
Harv
Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2017, 07:20:20 AM »

Hi Harv,

Thanks for the update, look forward to receiving them.
Cheers
John

Better in Green
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2017, 05:35:29 PM »

Thanks for the update Harv. Looking forward to seeing them.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
FX1975
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2017, 07:06:18 PM »

Great
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 28, 2017, 11:17:02 AM »
+1

Ladies and Gents,

I have received the new grey motor improved cooling head gaskets from AA Gaskets, which look really good. They have been individually packaged (similar to how you would buy a normal head gasket from Repco), which will make them easy to store. I have printed out both the excerpt from the Accelerator article (which gives a how-to on installation), and a warning note. The warning note indicates the following:

WARNING
The standard grey motor head gasket is able to be turned upside down. The holes in the standard gasket are mirrored – one end has the same holes as the other end. Turning the standard gasket upside down does not affect coolant flow.
This new gasket is not mirrored – the holes are different in each end. The end closest to the rear of the engine has more holes, to direct coolant to the rear of the engine. The end closest to the front of the engine has less holes to prevent cylinder 1 stealing all the coolant. This new gasket can only be put onto the engine one way.
If you accidently put the new gasket on upside down, almost all the coolant will flow to cylinders 1 and 2. Cylinders 5 and 6 will starve for coolant, and will overheat. You may damage your engine.
Check the diagram below, and make sure that you have the gasket up the right way before installation

I have included a photo of the new gasket, with the orientation marked.

I’m back on the road for work again, and have brought half the gaskets (plus the plywood to ship them in) with me. I’ll start posting them out this week – please be patient as this will take a while. Once they are in the post, I’ll send each of you a PM with the tracking number.

Cheers,
Harv
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 28, 2017, 11:28:46 AM »

Thanks Harv.

Dave
0417 270 315
Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 28, 2017, 08:59:37 PM »

Hi Harv,

You are a champion for all the effort you have put into this to make it happen, it is very much appreciated.
Cheers
John

Better in Green
graham_fuller
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 28, 2017, 10:07:14 PM »

Thanks Harv your a champion. Cheers Graham
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 03, 2017, 02:22:48 PM »

Mine arrived today, they look fantastic. Just need to get the engine rebuilt and back together.
Thanks again for all the work and effort you put in to make these happen.
Regards, Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
Maco
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 03, 2017, 02:51:34 PM »

Hi Harv,

My gaskets arrived today, they look fantastic, much appreciate the effort you have put into this project.
Cheers
John

Better in Green
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 03, 2017, 09:39:27 PM »

Hi Harv

My gaskets arrived today and they look fantastic.  Thanks again for all the effort you have put into the project to make it happen.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: