FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 01, 2024, 07:16:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC hubcap retention  (Read 5888 times)
fc25250

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: October 23, 2016, 03:02:51 PM »

Old subject but now I am almost there with my restoration I want to make sure that the hubcaps stay on and only come off when I want them to. Anybody got a fail safe system ?
Already had one pop off and maybe need a grinding wheel gouge behind the location lobes on the rims ??
Heard that some drill through the rim and send a self tapper screw through, which seems extreme
Any thoughts appreciated
Thanks
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 03:09:16 PM »

Are your rims original or aftermarket. Good hubcaps will not come off original rims. Check for damage or flattening of the bead on a hubcap that comes off.
The wheel should not need to be modified by either grinding or drilling for the hubcap to stay on

Ken
fc25250

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 03:37:03 PM »

Are your rims original or aftermarket. Good hubcaps will not come off original rims. Check for damage or flattening of the bead on a hubcap that comes off.
The wheel should not need to be modified by either grinding or drilling for the hubcap to stay on

Ken
Hi Ken
All 8 rims are I assume original 4 came with the car (no spare include) -and Ipicked up another 4 to roll her around on while the good ones were cleaned up and painted. 1of the original was  no good as too pitted around the   Schrader valve ,being tubeless I was told it was no good.
The rims are different upon examination earlier ones are riveted later (I assume) are welded and I had fun with the brake drums and interference between the rim and drums. Again earlier drums irised off edges vs what appears to be overlapped rim edges. Yes I am confused  but will persevere
Any help greatly appreciated
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 05:09:18 PM »

The riveted rims would certainly be original but the later rims don't appear to be right if they are fouling the drums.
All rims are dated on the inside so you can easily check what they are off
I'm still thinking it is a hub cap problem though.
The other thing that can go wrong with hub caps is that they can get warped. This means that they do not go completely on. So they fall off easily.

Ken
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 09:56:25 AM »

On the warped hubcap issue -

You can use it to your own advantage.  When putting hubcaps on, I engage two of the wheel rim's lugs with the hubcap, and rotate the hubcap until it pops onto the third lug easily.  And it can even be (like on my FC) that the hubcap is so out of true that there's no retention on the third lug.  In which case I treat the hubcap like a bayonet fitting: slip it on and give it a twist to seat it.  The advantage of this is that you don't need a tool to remove the hubcap - you just have to remember which way is "undo".

And I haven't lost a hubcap yet.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
fc25250

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 02:42:43 PM »

On the warped hubcap issue -

You can use it to your own advantage.  When putting hubcaps on, I engage two of the wheel rim's lugs with the hubcap, and rotate the hubcap until it pops onto the third lug easily.  And it can even be (like on my FC) that the hubcap is so out of true that there's no retention on the third lug.  In which case I treat the hubcap like a bayonet fitting: slip it on and give it a twist to seat it.  The advantage of this is that you don't need a tool to remove the hubcap - you just have to remember which way is "undo".

And I haven't lost a hubcap yet.

Rob
Thanks Rob and others
I laid the pile of hubcaps on the concrete garage floor to see how out of true each one was & found that some of the least scratched ones were buckled and so I select 4 of the flat ones and drove them home over the third lug with a leather hammer bingo ran all over the place and that problem is now sorted. Just need a wheel brace with a hook to prize off when needs be. Did the same thing with the chrome beauty rings and some of them were out of true so again best of 4 and we appear all sorted.
Thanks to all for comments to assist..r

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
fc25250

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 02:48:13 PM »

Thanks Rob and others
I laid the pile of hubcaps on the concrete garage floor to see how out of true each one was & found that some of the least scratched ones were buckled and so I select 4 of the flat ones and drove them home over the third lug with a leather hammer bingo ran all over the place and that problem is now sorted. Just need a wheel brace with a hook to prize off when needs be. Did the same thing with the chrome beauty rings and some of them were out of true so again best of 4 and we appear all sorted.
Thanks to all for comments to assist..r

Next time I see good looking hubcaps I will not shell out until I get my spirit level out !!
Have 9 hubcaps and 6 chrome rings so should be right I think they look pretty reasonable from 20 feet in failing light anyway

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: