FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:57:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey Motor info  (Read 124038 times)
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2014, 02:02:45 PM »

The papers that are easily searchable indicate that it wasn't until the FE came out that the term fx Holden was used but moreso the term was used to describe the type of car model when there were auction lists all together. Like 56 Holden fe, when the other model overlapped made it important to call them by model. Earliest being Sydney.

Perhaps the person who told you that pre fj that they were calling holdens fx was mixed up with the year if car being advertised, ie "1953 fx holden" as a describing term due to fj overlap.
I didn't mention anything about pre-FJ.

It was put to me that the reason 'FX' was introduced, was we had FJ & then FE, so what do you call the first model series ? As I said it was 1955 or 56 but had to be post-FE intro.

Has anyone searched Kevin Dennis Holden adverts from around 1956.

Dr Terry
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2014, 02:21:47 PM »

Yeah I didn't go back and read your post sorry, that's ok, but the fe came out in 56 so I should have written pre fe, but his name appears nowhere but if you know the exact name of the dealership or a motto that would make it easier. His name doesn't appear in any adds though.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: November 07, 2014, 03:25:54 PM »

It was put to me that the reason 'FX' was introduced, was we had FJ & then FE, so what do you call the first model series ?

By rights it should be GC  Shocked

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 07, 2014, 05:30:39 PM »

Which is exactly why we know that GMH didn't invent the code FX.

Ken
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: November 07, 2014, 05:49:43 PM »

Well, it's exactly why it should not be considered representative of the entire 48-215 series.

I assert that there is no reason to presume that it is anything other than coincidence that there is an F in FJ, FE, FC (that stands for "five") and an F in FX (as shorthand for Front X-member). And it is this coincidence that is responsible for all the confusion.

How's that grab you? Smiley

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: November 08, 2014, 12:13:53 AM »

I tell you what, it's a stroll down memory lane to re-read this entire thread from the beginning. Cheesy

Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 08, 2014, 07:27:08 AM »

Well, it's exactly why it should not be considered representative of the entire 48-215 series.

But it's not & that's the whole point. The general usage of FX is not shorthand for the 48-215 series or the just the late ones with the new suspension, it also includes the 50-2106 ute.

In other words anything pre-FJ, with a vertical-bar grille.

There are many 'purists' out there who poo-poo the term FX, but I've grown to like it.

Dr Terry

detective

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 08, 2014, 10:04:09 AM »

.....g'day all  ..  the initial discussion about the term ''FX'' between Don and myself came about from when years ago i was at an auction in Geelong where a couple of earlies were to be sold...

... On the day i was snooping through an old shed which had a big pile of newspapers in it from around 1960 and thought it would be interesting to just see if the term ''FX'' was present in that era...

...i can't be sure of the exact date of this particular paper, but there was an ad for an FX Holden being sold by Reg Smith Motors (father of Garry and Warren Smith, Holden dealers' fame).  I reported to Don this finding which led to Don eventually going through the State Library of Victoria, on a mission to track down the earliest possible use of the term...

....knowing Don he would have been very meticulous and the search would've been an exhaustive one, so when he published his finding of Friday 12th Feb 1960 for the very first use....you can be pretty sure there was no other earlier published use of the term.....

...so i s'pose you could say with a fair degree of confidence that the term ''FX'' really did originate from the various used car dealers and from them, the general public caught on and adopted the term...

...another clue to as how common the usage of the term had become is borne out by the fact that i was born in 1959 and was always interested in cars from my very earliest recollections...say 5 or 6 years old (about 1965) and the term FX was the only term i ever heard from any of Dads mates .....cheers
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 10:15:26 AM by detective » Logged
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #148 on: November 08, 2014, 12:01:20 PM »

I actually thought the first print reference was in a repco catalogue? In 1957? But the cross member theory seems more plausable as the first reference because if that terminology from those in the parts industry did not exist, then as if the public are gunna know back then what the he'll an fx was? So there would 've more articles about the fx term in the late 50s.....surely. I would like to see the catalogue or a link that shows the cross member. I want to see how it's written cos a "cross member" may have been written as "x member" to explain the part itself 😜

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
detective

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 08, 2014, 12:20:40 PM »

...that's cool with me too fe350  ..  i would love to see these early spare parts books as it brings up a fine point of difference in this amazing journey.....  

.....the catalogue details and spare parts firms would've been considered as ''In House'' and their listings to the motor trade regarded as inside information, whereas the general public use of the term probably came along with those 1960 used car ads
GreyFC

Model: other Holden

View Profile WWW
Re:
« Reply #150 on: November 08, 2014, 02:02:33 PM »

I actually thought the first print reference was in a repco catalogue? In 1957?

I wonder if Harv has this?

detective

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 08, 2014, 02:12:29 PM »

...well here's something from left field!!  ..  google ''Western Australia motor race results 1959'' and you will see the results of the six hour race at Caversham with the result quoted by ''The Visor June 1959'' and ''Sports Car World August 1959'' showing a ''Holden FX'' driven by Jack Ayres coming 4th with 172 laps and a ''Holden FX'' coming 7th driven by Dave Sullivan on 171 laps   !!!....

....so we have June 1959...... it's possible that this moniker filtered down from the race car fraternity...who after all, in a lot of cases were car dealers as well!.....
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2014, 02:55:16 PM »

Does Don have pics on his pages?

Deano

detective

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 08, 2014, 03:00:14 PM »

...there are no pics of the advert in his book (She's a beauty revised edition..page 266) and i can't recall if i gave the ad i saw to him...??
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #154 on: November 08, 2014, 03:01:37 PM »

Fact is, there aren't many adverts even in 1960. If the term was ever going to come to being, then surely it wouldn't have taken that long to be adopted if it was to differentiate certain upgrades. If describing an upgraded model, the adverts selling cars say "1954 Holden (late model)" rather than modern ways like "series 2". But again, this could be open to interpretation and conjecture. Ppl need to back up their claims with pics. I think Don has a Facebook page. Would take a few minutes to snap it and upload. I grew up in Elizabeth in Adelaide for a while and I'm sure the old workers talked about the fx reference as being from the 50's.

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 08, 2014, 03:27:29 PM »

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #156 on: November 08, 2014, 03:27:38 PM »

http://www.terrywalkersplace.com/Results/1959-all.pdf

Deano

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #157 on: November 08, 2014, 03:28:50 PM »

Problem is, it refers to 2 fe holdens in the same doc.

Deano

detective

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 08, 2014, 03:31:03 PM »

...the Reg Smith advert is real and Trove is not very helpful with providing those ads from back in the day it seems...

.....all up though, i'm pretty chuffed ATM that this snippet has come out of WA racing car history....
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #159 on: November 08, 2014, 03:31:05 PM »

But this forum banter definitely supports that the race car was an fx!

Deano

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: