FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 26, 2024, 06:15:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Gearbox tool  (Read 3106 times)
snuff69

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2016, 06:23:37 PM »

A long shot I'm sure. But has anybody got a gearbox rear housing oil seal remover (tool No 7A9 in the FB workshop manual) that I could beg borrow steal or hire. Willing to pay freight and a fee for use.   Or any suggestions how to remove and replace the seal without taking the gearbox out.    Thanks Dave
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 07:28:53 PM »

G'day Dave

I've got the genuine 7A9 tool that I can loan you, and am pretty sure I've got a spare that you can have for the cost of postage. The only drama is that I'm on the road for work for the next three weeks.

After dropping the tailshaft, you can lever the seal out with a screwdriver if you are lucky. Only lever against the gearbox outlet shaft though - do not lever against the alloy rim of the extension housing, as it will readily crack. There are some fancy angled tools you can get to help with the angle (like this:http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-Seal-Puller-Hand-Tool-Remove-Grease-Oil-Seals-WHOLESALE-Automotive-Shop-Tool-/361489920953).

If that fails, there is probably no reason (other than some oil on the ground) that you can't unbolt the extension housing, and put it on a bench, leaving the rest of the gearbox in the car. You can then use the standard GMH hubcap remover to tap the seal out from the other end - see P64 of the guide.
http://forum.fefcholden.club/index.php?topic=22894.0

Cheers,
Harv
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 07:29:15 PM »

supercheap auto have toledo seal removers something like that to pry it out ?

snuff69

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 08:59:11 PM »

G'day Harv   a loan of your tool would be very much appreciated. If you could let me know when your back home and we can organise.  Many thanks Dave
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 07:29:54 AM »

No drama. Please PM me the address and I'll get it into the post once I'm home.

If you haven't heard from me by mid-March, give me a yell to remind me.

Cheers,
Harv
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: