FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 19, 2024, 04:04:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Grey engine running temperature  (Read 4340 times)
Fraze

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2015, 03:13:08 PM »

Not sure if I have a problem or not!  My FC never gave me any hot running problems when it had its original radiator fitted. The core in that rad was very "open". How ever it eventually developed terminal leaks so I fitted a rad with a modern core, 2 row. This seemed to make the engine runa bit hot, pushed a bit of water out of  the overflow, so I had the original recored with a three row core. I, m still not happy, it doesnt seem to be running as cool as it used to. To check I fitted a temperature guage, sender in the head where the heater tap is usually fitted. The engine registers 90 deg C at normal running, on the highway or around town. When I stop at traffic lights it shoots up to 100 deg and when I move off, within 500 meters, it drops straight back to 90. On the highway on a slight upwardslope  not even a hill, it again climbs up to 100 deg or so but drops back on level road..The ambient temperature of the day makes little difference.The engine is not running lean and the ignition timing is spot on. It is a 138 cu in with .060 overbore, otherwise standard.
Do I have a problem, or just an over active imagination? Thanks, Fraze
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 03:51:32 PM »

http://forum.fefcholden.club/index.php?topic=25528.0
FX1975
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 07:54:56 PM »

Sounds like it's running a bit hot, pressure test the cooling system and go from there! Ensure you have the right thermostat and radiator cap fitted! Failing that you may have circulation issues?
Fraze

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 06:51:06 AM »

Thanks for that advice, I have pressure tested the cooling system, have a new 7lb radiator cap and a new thermostat from Rare Spares, with new water pump. Actually the engine has only done a few thousand miles since fully reconditioning, the block and head were "hot tubbed" and cleaned then.

I think my next step will be to measure actual water temp with a thermometer and compare with what the guage is telling me.

Has anyone done a radiator shroud for a grey?
Fraze

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 09:22:23 AM »

I checked the water temperature in the radiator withan immersion thermometer and when my in car temp. guage read 90c, the thermometer read 85C, so it appears my in car guage is reading about 5C high.
FX1975
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 08:09:33 PM »

Sounds like you've covered all the bases, let me know what you find !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: