FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 08:18:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Seat belt regs  (Read 10836 times)
DJ
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: March 22, 2015, 05:10:15 PM »

eBay lists these belts & I'm wondering why there has been no bids at all.
The only thing I can think of is in relation to the regulations regarding webbing or the style of buckle.
They look similar to some from an outlet I've seen mentioned here called Autoluxe. No idea if their product has issues at all in any states either.
Any thoughts/advice welcome.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Vintage-style-seat-belt-set-Suit-Holden-FX-FJ-FC-FE-FB-EK-EJ-EH-HD-HR-HK-/271806710835?ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:AU:3160

Dave
0417 270 315
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 05:26:05 PM »

I've been told you can replace early ones but in my case I need a certificate complying with Aus regs which it doesn't have

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 06:40:21 PM »

Yep any modified vehicle needs seat belts with a tag stating compliance to Australian regulations. The seller States that these are only suitable for cars prior to 1969, but I would add that it must be for an unmodified vehicle as well. It's a bit of a grey area I think, you could find RWC inspectors who interpret it differently.

Ken
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 07:17:19 PM »

Thanks NES & Ken. Now I understand the relevance - original style matching, 1969 pre regs, manufactured in USA
AU$369.00 seems like a good buy, but I think the best bet for me is go for something with an Aus Reg tag & avoid any potential for debate down the track.

Dave
0417 270 315
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »

Spot on - don't waste your time/money/effort on non-compliant belts. I learned the hard/expensive way.

Seatbelt Solutions in WA is absolutely the way to go.

http://seatbeltsolutions.com.au/
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 08:45:10 PM »

Thanks for the advice Josh. I see your post on 'where to buy'.
I'll give Seatbelt Solutions & Hemco a call tomorrow & ask for some samples & details.

Dave
0417 270 315
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2015, 09:14:07 PM »

G'day DJ,

Like Josh said, don't make an expensive mistake.  I found Hemco great to deal with (and their factory is here in Ballarat), their belts are really good and reasonable priced.

Cheers, Graeme
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2015, 09:23:55 PM »

Thanks Graeme. I see a few other fans for them too.
BTW the belts listed on eBay closed with 0 bids.

Dave
0417 270 315
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2015, 09:43:29 PM »

Dave, I purchased my new belts from Repco, they are from Klipan although I have retractable outers with lap middle belts although you can get standard belts if you are going to use them.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2015, 10:08:48 PM »

Thanks Jim, I had forgotten about Repco. They have a local outlet here I can visit.
Many of us drove for years without any belts, yet retractables feel right to me now in 2015 - even in an FC.
Just need to get my head around some of the diagrams I've seen lately on the anchoring angles.

Dave
0417 270 315
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2015, 10:18:44 PM »

If you are going to have the car engineered then you will need to have separate mounting points for each belt. Talk to any seat belt fitting station as they will be able to fill you in on what is required. I spoke with my local guy who is also a customer and I went a bit bigger with the mounting plates just to be safe, although I don't need to get mine engineered as the rebuild is still a standard car, just upgraded to retractables for ease and safety.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2015, 11:39:33 PM »

Thanks for the tip Jim. Will follow up.

Dave
0417 270 315
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2015, 11:46:24 PM »

Hey Jim my belts in the centre have two belt ends going to the same point on a 100mm square plate. I argued that current manufacturers do this but there is no legislation on dual into one. My engineer likes what I have done- others may say one bolt per plate etc.

Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 09:35:26 AM »

Hey Jim my belts in the centre have two belt ends going to the same point on a 100mm square plate. I argued that current manufacturers do this but there is no legislation on dual into one. My engineer likes what I have done- others may say one bolt per plate etc.

G'day NES,

The "two belts into one bolt" setup is generally frowned upon. NCOP Section LK Seating and Occupant Protection, Seat and Seatbelt Installation/Removal Code LK1 2.3.1 Lap Anchorages:

Unless supported by engineering evidence, the lower seatbelt anchorages must not be superimposed, i.e. each seatbelt must be anchored by separate bolts.

Some engineers will turn a blind eye, some will not.

DJ,
I recently went through the "diagram drama" for my EK wagon. My engineer is pretty pragmatic, but really fussy about seatbelts. I had to document compliance - lots of photos and measurements. I have started writing up the process (lots of photos, simple diagrams, simple English) with a view to one day turning it into a Guide. The document is a bit rough, but may help to get your head around it. Let me know if you want me to email you a copy.

Cheers,
Harv
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 09:54:04 AM »

I guess this brings me to my question - should I run seatbelts in the back on my wagon?  I can't remember the last time I had back seat passengers......  The wagon has always had front belts - wouldn't drive a car now without them.  Are there any legal requirements to run rear belts in a modified car?

Cheers, Graeme
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2015, 09:59:15 AM »

Would love a copy please Harv. Being pragmatic & serious about belts sounds ideal to me.
dave.bolton@tpg.com.au
I believe the ACT uses the NCOP only to check compliance; no unique or additional requirements for standard fitment.

Dave
0417 270 315
JOX515
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2015, 10:07:25 AM »

Sorry to butt in on your thread DJ but have been umming and ahhing over rear seat belts for a while now and was looking for some opinions.
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2015, 10:42:52 AM »

It's really beneficial to see questions & opinions from others.
I had thoughts about leaving the rear seat initially but (6 grandchildren) quickly changed my mind.
Was just looking through the reference NCOP section Harv noted - haven't come across any specific requirements for standard rear seats yet, other than -
Any replacement or additional seatbelt should be new and comply with Australian Standard
2596 (Seatbelt Assemblies for Motor Vehicles).

Dave
0417 270 315
Ol_Girl_58
tas-club

getting there...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2015, 11:11:43 AM »

Irrespective of whether the car is stock or modified, I imagine you would still need engineering approval re: seatbelts (as it's a modification in a sense), but realistically, who's going to get the belts certified on a stock car?
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2015, 11:20:50 AM »

Local registration inspection station? No idea.

Dave
0417 270 315
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: