FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 24, 2024, 11:08:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Chassis & ID Tag # for Ken  (Read 4150 times)
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« on: January 18, 2015, 06:57:14 PM »

Hi Ken,
Just bought another FC ute (Ascot Grey) which was made further down the assembly line to my current Blue FC ute.

ID Tag reads;
FC 2106-3207-A
Trim 355-648
Paint 253-7773

Chassis# FC 5811P

Engine # L507547

The following ID you already have.
My Blue FC ute ID Tag reads;
FC 2106-3102-A
Trim 194-649
Paint 256-2051

Chassis# 8 5453P

Engine # L511393

What I find interesting is that they are built 105 apart in Adelaide and assembled 358 apart in Perth.
Note that the chassis #'s are stamped differently.
Also the engine in the Ascot Grey FC would have been built earlier than the blue FC but fitted later. Their both October 1958 engines by my research.

Now for the Ascot Grey paint. This was released in 1959 but this ute is registered as 1958.
The earliest form of papers that came with the car is a Combined Licence and Insurance Policy Motor Truck dated 10th January 1961 issued by The Municipality of Northam. There is no provision in the Policy for a chassis #.
The rego plate number on the papers reads N 1959.
I'm assuming the car was purchased new in January 1959, not because of the rego plate but by the renewal date of the policy and it states its a 1958 model.
My blue FC has its rego renewed on the 9th of January each year which I assume was also purchased new in January 1959. It still has original rego number on the car. Car had always been based in Kalgoorlie WA.
Both FC's are country cars.
Look forward to reading your thoughts on this.

Regards
Sebastiano
FE-FC Holden Car Club of WA (Inc)

Yellow Knight

FireKraka

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 04:17:50 PM »

Hi Sebastiano
Great to see another ute being rescued is it in good condition and what plans do you have for it?

Ken I don't think I ever gave you my Sedans numbers either (Hope you don't mind Sebastiano)

FC 225-20391-S
Trim 311-630
Paint 253-9741
Insert 256-7770
Chassis FC14824B

Regards
Neil H
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 05:36:25 PM »

Thanks guys, I am away from home at the moment so don't have access to my database so I will provide more info later.
Firstly the Ascot ute is a Jan 59 car and the blue ute is a Dec 58 car, hence the difference in chassis number. Up until 1958 all cars had a chassis no which began with the year, but in 1958 the problem arose that potentially 2 cars had the same chassis no which would be a problem for registration records. This was changed in 1959 so that all future chassis nos started with the model.
The closeness of body numbers in your 2 utes is remarkable for the one person, I see it a lot in my database but rarely does one person have 2 cars built so close together. The difference between chassis no and body no and engine no is really luck of the draw.
Adelaide was building bodies for Adelaide and Perth so a batch would be sent off to WA as needed and assembly would begin in Perth of utes, vans, sedans and wagons. The order in which they were built was up to dealership needs, but the chassis no was stamped as they were sequentially finished, regardless of what the body numbers were. Engines were even more difficult to keep in order since they were all built at Fishermans Bend and shipped all over the country by the truckload. As you can see by your 2 utes they have completely gotten out of order. But it didn't matter and no attempt was really made to keep them in order.
Ken
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 01:03:26 AM »

Hi Neil,
Body is solid, straight and was repainted 20 yrs ago but is cracked showing primer and metal in some areas.
Interior has been redone but base of seat needs redoing.
HR disc front end and suspension with Hydra vac booster and original FC rear end. Stops ok without locking up.
Engine has new rings and bearings, head has s/s valves and recond and also has a new clutch and water pump.
Has wide steelies and is great to drive. Its a bit firm and lower than my other ute.
Still need to put it on the hoist for a check over.
I drove 3 1/2 hours to check this ute and spent 2 hours looking at it and 4 hours drive back home. Totally stuffed as I only slept 4 hours prior.
Wasn't going back to pick it up so I paid them to tow it to my door.
I was restricted to viewing the under side so the lady owners partner put it up on ramps on the back of his tow truck so I could see it better.
Lady had it 20 yrs, sold it in 2001 then bought it back in 2003.
It's only been back on the road for the last year as its been in storage for at least 7 yrs.
Can't wait to work on it and drive it.

Regards Seb

Yellow Knight

fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 01:07:08 AM »

Hi Ken,
I'm just wondering how you came about with the build month my utes were manufactured?
I haven't come across this type of information.

Regards Seb

Yellow Knight

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 08:42:13 PM »

Sebastian, holden changed the way they identified the chassis number as per the attached

I checked by entering them into my database and the ute bodies were made about 4 days apart in December 1958. The Perth plant were assembling vehicles at a rate of 25 a day which puts your utes finished 14 days apart. One finished before the change listed above and one after it. Hence my estimate of Dec 58 and Jan 59

Ken

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: