FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 27, 2024, 05:20:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Pics of cars without gutter trim  (Read 5982 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: December 16, 2014, 01:36:13 PM »

Does anyone have any pics of cars that don't have gutter trims?

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 03:35:59 PM »

I assume you mean sedans?
Look at any FC sedan or FE standard/business sedan

Ken
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 07:48:56 PM »

I mean sort of close up from the top not from the side like most pics are. Had trouble finding some close ups. Thanks.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
Crumpsnr

Model: FC

Shellharbour NSW

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 08:56:40 PM »

Here ya go...
Not real clear but hopefully good enough for now.

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2014, 11:00:37 PM »

So it does vary like mine. Like in width. Sorry if it sounds weird but I'll compare the 2 models I have. I wonder if each state the gaps are different.

Deano

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 08:11:51 AM »

I can imagine them varying a little bit. The roof panel is joined to the side frame and onto the A, B and C pillars by a spot weld whilst the whole lot is held in a jig. A couple of mm in and out would sound feasible. I think in most cars the gutter seems to widen a little as it nears the cowl at the front.
It's a bit like looking at the door gaps on an FC - don't expect them to be perfect.

Ken
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 09:39:04 AM »

I don't know why I'm interested in these intricacies cos I'm by far not the obsessive or ritual type but what I have found interesting reading old docs about manufacturing is that things wore out at the factory and some components changed over time. Yeah Ken, the widening is what I noticed and at first in was worried about previous repair or hi fill used but the car was too original to have had anything done much. Once I've stripped the gutters in the other car I will do a comparison. Cos 1 is Adelaide and I think the other Victorian.

Ken, do you know which order the body shops at Holden were established? We're they all tooled up for this model or did it's popularity cause more production lines?

Deano

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 02:24:53 PM »
+1

Adelaide and Sydney were established during the FX FJ period. The Melbourne plant opened at Fishermans Bend in 1956/57 during the FE run. The Melbourne plant would have been set up to emulate the other two plants as closely as possible. For instance the original jig tooling would have all been made at the same place so that inconsistencies were lessened.
As dies wore out they became blunter where corners were and gradually smaller. So a door frame for instance would get slightly smaller as the die wore out - once the door frame went outside the allowable tolerance the die would be replaced. This is why not all replacement doors fit in any car as well as the original which has been fitted on the production line. Also this is why some NOS doors don't fit well. They were bought by a dealer in the day but didn't fit well, so were put aside in the hope they would fit another car later. In the end they get left in the dealership.
Ken
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 11:12:45 PM »
+2

Sides were jigged up and assembled.

Brought together with the floor pan and all cross pieces.

Spotted together.

Roof panel installed last.

Regards
Alex

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
Re:
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 08:04:12 PM »

Thanks for taking the time.

Deano

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: