FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 18, 2024, 10:36:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Help wanted: Petronix owner with a dwell meter  (Read 3504 times)
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2014, 12:20:06 PM »

Ladies and gents,

For my magneto thread (http://www.fbekholden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=20727), I want to do a brief write-up about the Pertronix Ignitor I (often just called a Petronix). I will do a comparison between maggies, dual-point dizzies and Petronix equiped greys.

I have a pretty fair idea of how the Pertonix Ignitor I works, and know that dwell is waaaay different to a standard grey (Pertonix get extra zap in other ways than increasing dwell). Measurements made by some enthusiasts (but not on the grey motor Pertronix 1864a) show dwell is around 27-28º - substantively lower than the factory grey motor 35º to 41º.

I'd like to publish the specific number for the grey - does anyone on the forum have a Pertonix installed who can run a dwell meter over it for me please?

Cheers,
Harv (deputy apprentice sparkplug tester)
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 04:42:44 PM »

Harv,

It took me a while, but I put a dwell meter on my FC, which has a Pertronix ignition module:

28 degrees dwell.

I wondered whether the Pertronix units increased the dwell at higher rpm as a way of increasing the spark energy, but no.  There was no apparent change in dwell angle with increasing engine speed.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 06:43:25 PM »

Thank Rob - very much appreciated. The PerTronix Ignitor I (grey motor) has fixed dwell - the later model Ignitors have variable dwell.

Can I be a pain please and ask another favour? Can you please measure the gap between the magnet ring and the sensor with a feeler gauge? More gap = more dwell. I have one grey motor data point (33.6º with an air gap of 0.040”) and am guessing that your gap is a little tighter than this.

Cheers, and thanks,
Harv
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: