FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:24:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Supercharger on a 186 motor - yes or no?  (Read 13038 times)
jwm

Model: FE

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2014, 05:40:53 PM »

I have the opportunity to buy an SC14 Supercharger setup at a good price which has been running on a 186 engine, any thoughts on this unit and it's application on a red motor?

One of my concerns is that I don't really know what work has already been done on the 186 motor that I am currently running? It is supposed to be standard bore, balanced, a cam, some head work and is running a Stromberg WW2 carbie and a split (dual)header system. But nobody is really sure about the internals and I ain't going to strip it o find out.
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 06:45:06 PM »
+1

The Aisin SC14 is not a bad unit, and of very similar capacity to the Eaton M90's used on current Comformadores (neat size for a 186). Because it is common, parts will be easier to get. Several shops sell kits based on them (eg CRS) and would be able to assist with some info/support. Provided your not looking for a traditional blower, it would be a good choice.

You need to get all the gear to run the blower - drive pulleys, brackets, manifolds and carb. Hunting these down separately will cause you bad hearache. You can keep the WW (Eldred's 186 conversions used the standard HD/HR WW), but it is not ideal - an SU or similar variable choke carb is a better choice and will tune up far better.

Your motor will probably handle the blower well, but will hinge on the compression ratio you now have - if it has lumpy pistons or the head has been shaved within an inch of it's life, it will ping like buggery. This can be solved by the use of a decompression plate, though requires the head off and some custom engineering to make the plate. Alternative is to wind down boost or retard timing... defeats the purpose of the blower.

Cheers,
Harv (appreciator of blown reds).
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 10:55:13 PM »

do a search Getting Blown might help you can make up all the mounts your self like I did ......FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
jwm

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 05:13:27 PM »

The Supercharger came as an 'almost complete unit', mounting brackets pulley, belts, intercooler, etc,as previously stated, it had been installed on a 186. But, I've decided to let it go at the moment, as the seller was hard to contact and get information from. There's been a couple of complete units come up on ebay in the last month, I'll just bide my time and see what comes up next. I'm not looking to make big HP, another 50 or so would just make the car more driveable.

Thanks guys.
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2014, 06:09:07 PM »

The toyota supercharger is as  ugly as sin in my opinion FC427,s looks so much cleaner now with a "normal looking blower"

The kit thats advertised off crs looks like a menagerie of bibs and bobs could be so much cleaner.
Im trying to talk my mate out using these but i am making manifolds to fit 2 to a VW manx (After i finish Harvs)

The one i did on my mates EH with the commodore blower worked out really cheap.
Blowers off commodores can be obtained very cheap  the only thing i have never sorted is whats the best fuel set up to run i have thought about fitting injector bosses and run a very basic haltech or wolf computer but crank angle sensors tps and map sensors will be needed.

I reckon the most awesome looking set up would be a 45mm webber with 2 trumpets where as strombergs and holleys ect look ugly.

Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 06:47:27 PM »
+1

I'm aiming for "mostest awesome intake" for this one - my long term Meth Monster project:

Ex-speedway Norman blower (will need a Pete Special manifold at some stage), going onto a grey, running Hilborn injection (three 2" throats). I've got three bolt-on ram tubes to replace the two filter spindles sticking up in the photo. They are only plain tube though... may need to have the ends flared/belled. Superchargers don't get any benefit from the ram tubes though - the ram air effect is negligible. One part of me says sky high ram tubes are cool, the other says it would be cooler to run a Hilborn ally scoop... still tossing that up.

Cheers,
Harv
john253a

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 12:09:22 PM »

Depending on your welding skills,
A t03/04 turbo at 4-7psi will work quite well,
As they did on the vc/vb 202 as a dealer upgrade

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 08:29:55 PM »

Ok Not pretty with the sc14 but not ugly  Shocked Shocked well not that ugly .......FC427.....
[imghttp://][/URL][/img][/img]

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 09:07:23 PM »

The carby with ram tubes saves it Grin

jwm

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 04:31:21 PM »

FC427, just how far off the side of the block do those sc14 blowers sit?
Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 05:07:42 PM »

Interesting, line-up similar to Eldred's red motors - carb on drivers side, suck through to supercharger, outlet pipe over rocker into relatively standard inlet manifold. Cool use of the "bunch of bananas" though!

Cheers,
Harv (appreciator of fine backyard engineering).
john253a

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 06:13:55 PM »

The crs kit is the same, goes over the rocker cover, uses a std 2 barell manifold and a 350 or 465 holly
Most change the pully to a fixed one and either run V or serpentine belt

Good + Fast = Not Cheap
Cheap + Fast = Not Good
Good + Cheap = Not Fast
Bessie_3
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 04:38:45 PM »

YES.....

I am still in awe of this great ute I saw many moons ago shred a set of rear tyres one Sunday afternoon at Charnwood Tavern in ACT. The noise and the smoke generated by a blown Holden six is still etched in my memory and will be forever.

DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 06:54:22 PM »

How may moons ago? Was that after one of the Sunday "prawn" mornings at the Charnie?

Dave
0417 270 315
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 10:12:01 PM »

88 Summernats.
Regards
Alex

Bessie_3
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 10:17:58 AM »

Saw the ute about 1986-87, very early on in the Summernats history. I think it was before the prawn mornings. Sunday arvo bands in the beer garden was about the era.  Grin
DJ
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 11:33:45 PM »

Yes, Sunday afternoons in the beer garden were good.
The "prawn" mornings were a little earlier - late 70s/early 80s. A real experience for a young man invited by his boss. Half a dozen schooners before lunch watching the Sydney girls perform (and interact on stage with volunteers from the audience).

Dave
0417 270 315
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2014, 07:04:16 AM »

FC427, just how far off the side of the block do those sc14 blowers sit?
Because of the discharge port about 50mm  but you can still run a SBC mechanical pump and get at number 1 plug with ease .......FC427

Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 02:00:02 PM »

G'day Mark,

I'd heard the rumour that you could run the SBC mechanical pump on a grey, and have bought one to give it a trial run on the grey motor test mule. It keeps slipping off the end of the "to do" list though (I have the attention span of a goldfish  Embarrassed). I haven't been able to find anyone who has done it in practice on a grey so far.

Are there any modifications needed to the SBC pump (pump arm bent, specific spacer thickness etc) needed to run one on a red?

Cheers,
Harv
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 07:38:27 PM »

I have never fitted one to a grey but with the standard  SBC replacement Airtex type mechanical pump in needed the flash from the casting on the inside of the block cleaned up  but with the Holly pump  it bolted straight in to a red motor ....Mark

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: