FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 01, 2024, 12:07:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC0058 (Jim, Sonja, William & Ivy) Tassie Nats Journal  (Read 5967 times)
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« on: April 11, 2014, 07:05:58 PM »

Final prep for our trip to Tasmania and the 15th FE FC Holden Nationals in Hobart over Easter.

Hopefully all my bad luck is done and dusted with Ivy.
3 weeks ago lost an exhaust flange retainer nut,
2 weeks ago I broke a spring retainer in the Distributor and
Today the radiator decided to spring a leak at the bottom tank solder seem,
and to set it all off I lost a dress rim and hubcap (I have spares).
Thanks to Scott Miller (aka Collecta) and his very very helping hand, knowledge and skill these were all fixed in quicktime. Borrowed a radiator off Scott so I can hit the road tomorrow and fix mine when I get home.

Now to finish packing the car, flush the radiator and secure Williams seat ready to depart in the morning.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
Eaton_FE
wa-club

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 09:35:36 PM »

Good luck Jim, we should see you soon.

Les
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 12:39:01 AM »

Progress report 1.0
I knew I was close to the centre Pillar but not this close. This must be the true No 3. Scraped passenger side guard WT was I thinking.

OH well life goes on and my luck is about to change, car partly packed and ready to throw the rest in tomorrow, radiator flushed, Williams seat fitted iCables fitted almost ready to go. Sonja is going to take Charlie (our Dog) for a walk in the morning while I pack the rest (prepositioned by the door. We should hit the road no later than 10 am.

More to follow see you all real soon

Cheers Jim

WA1958
wa-club

WA1958

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 10:59:54 PM »

Hi Jim & family

Good luck, have great trip & drive safe. Look forward to catching up

Damien & Dina
FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 10:11:30 PM »

OK update No 2 is a little late coming:

Day 1, we departed home a little after 10 am and cruised our way to Ballarat with no real drama, except my car kept jumping out of third, the first was at the top of eagle on the hill. Made my heart miss a beat and I think Sonja pee'ed her pants it almost changed itself back in to second. I did not give it much thought and just kept cruising with a couple of stops along the way. Until we arrived in Horsham and I changed back to second with some resistance and a grind "Hmmmm" that's a first. We made it to Ballarat by 1830h so was an easy days drive.

Day 2, a short drive to St Kilda and a night in easy stay close to the port, everything with the car seemed to be OK except 2nd gear. We parked the car at easy stay and spent the day looking around St Kilda we had an early night.

Day 3, we all got out of bed early showed fed and drove to the port at 0700h, we were checked in and loaded by approx 0745h. We spent the day with my old club mates for Queensland. It was a long day with an Average speed of 51 kph, BTW even a standard grey can manage twice that speed on the open road. We arrived in devonport at approx 0630h, before driving off I had a quick look under the car and found a nice fresh puddle of gear oil "WT". It did not take Long at all to disembark and we quickly arrived at the big 4 and picked up our key. We dropped of our stuff and headed to the supermarket and got some supplies. Steak dinner shower and bed.

Day 4, we headed of to gunn plains wildlife park so William could see some Tasmanian devils, all the while I am thinking I should have  topped up the gear box. This was the first job on the agenda when we got back, she took approx 400ml "again WT" gear oil is weeping from the selector shaft seal, "Bush Mechanic Quick Fix Ideas Anyone" ? Can I clean the area of any grease, oil and crap and apply selastic ?

Day 5, an easy cruise down to Swansea and a night in the local backpackers pity we did not organise some group travel as this place is quite nice with heaps of vacant rooms.

FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 08:44:21 PM »

Hmmmm seems that I am not good at diaries.

Day 12 Wed, 6:30 am disembarked at port Melbourne and started our trip home. First stop Ballarat refuel and wait for Mr & Mrs FE Ute to catch up, Gary was suffering a few fuel / temp issues along the way. Next Stop Horsham for lunch, Next stop 5 pm IVY no go no more "Timing Gear Failure" 30k's from Tailem Bend. Sonja and William loaded in with Gary and Lorene and make the final leg home, whilst I wait for the trusty father inlaw and trailer. 10:30 pm Ivy arrives home and takes up a spot on the front lawn.

Day 13 Thur, play around with Gary's car a little, new thermostat, fuel filter and general tinker trying to sort out issues. 12:30 pm ish waved good bye to Gary and Lorene as they continue on their way back to Perth. 1 pm commence stripping down Ivy in readiness for timing gear replacement, radiator out and support out, bumper off, guards flared, grill out, fan belt and fan removed. Collecta AKA Scott arrives with red motor puller, harmonic balancer off timing cover off "Yep its a stopped fibre gear", oops battery disconnected, coil and dizzy out, rocker cover off, rocker gear loosened. Scott tries to find me a timing gear on the shelf in Adelaide "You know they make them in Adelaide" none on the shelf anywhere "WT" so one was ordered. Rain coming every thing moved inside, bonnet down. A little later  Huh I have weather proof cover !! cover on.

Day 14 Fri (ANZAC Day), finishing unpacking the car and tidy up a little.

Day 21 Fri, New gear arrives.

Day 22 Sat, Pay for new gear and collect. Remove rocker gear, push rods, guides, fuel pump and cam, clean all surfaces removing grease, oil, gaskets and gunk.

Day 23 Sun, Clean all parts and tools, pack tools away and make room in the garage for the Hybrid. Drop Cam and new timing gear of to Phil (has equipment at work to fit it correctly).

Day 24 Mon, New gear fitted to Cam and I should have the old girl back on the road by Saturday (Day 29) weather permitting.

Cheers Jim

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: