FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 30, 2024, 07:30:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Howling diff  (Read 2552 times)
hsv-001

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2014, 10:12:13 AM »

I like talking to intelligent practical people . The photo of my friends HD wagon was taken in front of my house because I was to test drive it and he said " You won't have to listen for the howl in the diff " I replied " Have you checked the oil " , "It was howling when I backed off and I put about a litre of oil in and now it howls when I accelerate "," @#$% that's a lot of oil " Last night I mentioned it to my 80 something dad . "Well where did it go ?"  Daaa  obvious ,pinion bearing and seal must be flogged out . My friend is looking for a course spline .336 bango . Cheers Haydn
fb delivery

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2014, 11:51:42 AM »

Where are you located ??
i have a few

Rob
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2014, 12:41:16 PM »

He's down the street about 500 mts from me at Jimboomba , that 50k's Ssw of Brisbane [means I get my paint supplies free home delivery and also his grandfather was the original purchaser and the person I bought my FC panel van off] . If you got one put a price on it and I will tell him .Thank you .Haydn
fb delivery

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 08:19:23 PM »

$140
Pick up Toowoomba, that is about 100 km's west of Brisbane  Cheesy
i also have a compleat diff drum to drum with 3.55 to suit HD HR $150

04 3887 4803
Rob
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 04:20:34 PM »

Thanks Rob , but I wont be needing it .One of my mates told me he had one but after paying for it , when it arrived it was .278 then I remembered removing a .355 from a FJ holden in 2011 . Went to see the owner and he still had it so we put that one in this morning , just took it for a drive and it works great[quiet]. Haydn
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 09:45:14 AM »

When my friend brought the HD wagon home he asked me to come over and have a look and help get it started . I have never needed anything but my senses to set timing and tune a single barrel strommy on a sideplate or red but while replacing the diff he told me that two of his younger friends come over and re tuned the car . I was sure it was close to correct the way it was . I drove it down the street and changed to second gear and accelerated to around 2500 rpm and held it there and it began to hunt . I drove it around the block and parked it and it was idling too fast and rich . "When you want that fixed let me know, or reset your over advanced timing, turn your mixture screw out  and your idle down the rest is fine ". When I first met this guy some 30 years ago he arrived at a party in a LJ torana 4 door in a cloud of black smoke with the engine revving . On stepping out of the car he proclaimed "I will get this fixed tomorrow" I asked him to pop the bonnet and I turned the air cleaner and told him to open the throttle a little 'til the fuel clears [the air cleaner was jamming the choke on] . Times and circumstances change ,people don't .Cheers Haydn
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: