FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 03:21:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Tailshaft U Bolts  (Read 11810 times)
muzzie

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2013, 12:21:48 PM »

G'day, Im chasing a pair of U Bolts for my tailshaft if anyone has any idea where some might be. Thanks Muzzie
zl296

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 05:56:14 PM »

do you want eh onwards u bolts...6cyl?

die young and leave a good looking corpse...
muzzie

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 06:00:06 PM »

will they fit a standard fc diff/tailshaft? Thanks Muzzie
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 06:30:15 PM »

No mate standard tailshaft has a bolt on flange style set up not u Bolts.

Send us pic or do u know ratio to peter@mallaby.com.au or 0410687343

FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 07:09:00 AM »

Was sent a photo and sorted it.
He has original uni set up.
I thought this was still available from repco ect.
Rares has its listed at $160 which  i thought was a bit crazy..

fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 10:43:32 AM »

Should be able to pick up new uni joints from repco the uni joints with the u bolts are later model uni's. I have a later diff with the u bolts in mine at the moment.
Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
muzzie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 07:48:00 AM »

Thanks again Fcrb26, much appreciated. I had already brought a new uni joint so all I'll need is the bolt on flange if anybody has a spare set they want to get rid of. Thanks Muzzie.
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 08:13:12 AM »

Muzzie, do you want the caps for the bolt or the ubolt?
Jim

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 08:14:07 AM »

Muzzie, I'm hoping to clarify here, not add confusion.

From what I read you have an FC diff in place. The later uni joint cannot be mated to an FC diff just using the U bolts. You would need to change the flange on the end of the diff as well. This is way more trouble than just buying the correct uni joint in my opinion.

If I am not reading this properly and you have a later diff in place - forgive me.

And I do have a set of U bolts spare if you need them....

Ken
muzzie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 10:04:08 AM »

Now I'm confused, how do I put pictures up here, I have photos of my diff I can put up. I sent them to fcrb26 and found out it was a stock 3.89 centre. Muzzie
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 10:54:42 AM »

You need to look at the caps on the end of the uni, if you have four round caps then it is a late one, if it has two round and two threaded flanges then it is an early one. The threaded flange sit into the yoke and the bolts go in from the diff side and pull the uni onto the yoke. In the later uni, the caps fit into the yoke and the ubolts fit through the yoke and the nuts tighten up from the diff side. Hope this clears it up for you.
Jim

muzzie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 11:07:17 AM »

Thanks Jim, it's a later one two round ends on the uni do I need everything to adapt it to the diff if anyone has that. What would I do without this forum, thanks everyone for your help. Muzzie
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 11:12:49 AM »

Unfortunately no adaptors exist - Best option is to purchase the correct early uni from a supplier. Price is higher for this part because it is small turnover compared to the later one.

Ken
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 12:50:45 PM »

I agree with Ken, another uni would be the best way to go. I had the opposite problem when I changed the rear end in the FC, I found out after it was all fitted up that it was a later model, lucky I had a uni from a Torana so I just changed them over.
Jim

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 01:54:10 PM »

Us old farts who worked on these cars throughout the era went to taller diffs and never looked back and don't think we ever had this problem .I will stand corrected but think that the later 1786 uni with 4 round cups has the same sizes as the early 3.89 diffs uni keyed caps and therefore when changing to a later taller diff it was just a matter of getting a 1786 uni and a set of u-bolts . Going the other way , the early 3.89 diff centre has a keyed flange on the mating plate and therefore you need the early uni joint with the keyed caps or spend hours cleaning your old keyed caps and repacking the needle rollers out of a new 1786 uni only to have it fly apart at a later date . Haydn
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 03:01:33 PM »

From one old fart to another, just checked the diffs in the shed, there is a difference between them. The early diff yoke has a slot on both sides for the end cap to fit into it and the later yoke is flat, this is how I found the difference, I tried to bolt the early cups up but they would not engage as the  tongue had no slot to engage.
Jim

hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 04:43:35 PM »

Yes Jim ,but what I was getting at is if you change from early diff to later diff you only need 2 of the later uni cups with there circlips and the u-bolts and put them over the centre cross of the early uni where you take the keyed caps off and your away. But that's the cheats way of doing it you should change the rest of it as well . Haydn
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 04:51:48 PM »

So I guess what I was presuming was that if you only had a later u-bolt uni and still had the keyed caps of the original uni then you could put them over the new uni in place of the later u-bolt caps . I'm sure I've done this when stuck in the outback without access to early replacements .Haydn
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 06:11:52 PM »

I think we have lost sight of the real issue, I don't think you can change the flange for the round end cap, I think I tried by changing the needle bearings from the round cap into the flange. The short answer would be to either change the uni or the diff. Muzz, in my opinion,it would be easier to get another uni, or if you have or can get a later diff at a good price then change the diff.
Jim

muzzie

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 07:55:22 PM »

Ok, thanks everyone for your input, I think I'll have a look into it a bit more. Either way I need ubolts or a flange joint. Will let you all know, thanks again. Muzzie
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: