FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 26, 2024, 06:39:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: trimatic floor shifter +  (Read 16395 times)
clivetitchener

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2013, 12:16:27 AM »

hi all my ute has a 5 speed gearbox behind the grey,i want to go auto,a trimatic is on the cards ,can i fit a floor shift,and what other mods would i have to make. i know i need a kit for the gearbox,but what about other mechanical mods to make it come together. regards clive.
FCV08

Model: FC

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 12:27:59 AM »

Clive

Aftermarket shifters are mostly cable so mounting the shifter is probably the most crucial.

I added additional brackets to mount my B&M for a T700 then drill a hole for the cable to feed through to the box.
Regards

Craig
clivetitchener

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 01:58:13 AM »

thanks craig,will i have to change the fly wheel as well as other things! regards clive
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 08:32:14 AM »

yep you remove the flywheel and fit a flex plate which then bolts to your converter.

you may need to do a bit of relieving to get the trimatic in as a 5sp is fairlly skinny in comparison.

tailshaft and gearbox mount will change also.

FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 11:31:39 AM »

Clive

You will also need to pop out the spigot bush in the rear of the crankshaft.

Cheers

Craig D
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 02:07:31 PM »

Clive,

An alternative to the cable shift is to run an Impala floor shifter (model AS402). These are a mechanical linkage type unit rather than cable drive. They fit Borg Warner 35, Traumatic, and Ford C4/9/10 transmissions.

I've got two at home (still in the Impala boxes), would be happy to sell one if needs be. I want to take some installed photos of the other one (for a future revision of the Crashbox Guide  Roll Eyes Grin) but haven't got a loan of the right box to bolt it to yet.

Cheers,
Harv
clivetitchener

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 10:04:57 PM »

thanks for all the help guys , i am taking it all in i am happy with what has been said so far apart from "having to relieve things a bit",my ute has just gone through engineers and rego so i am not to keen on major chassis mods ect. i already fitted a bigger gearbox tunnel and added a crossmember for the celica 5 speed.so if its been done before does any one have the experience of the fiddly body bits.sorry to be a pain in the butt but i have to get it right 1st time .
clivetitchener

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 01:30:18 AM »

hi all ,i have been doing my home work,there are 2 different gearbox types early type with cable kick down and later stronger type with electric kick down which 1 can i use ! and what model car can i get it from ,again thanks every one
brett_f

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 08:33:46 AM »

Clive, not sure what all the fuss is about. Why dont you just run a mechanical floor shift. The trimatic came on the LH Torana's with a floor shift. Im sure there were others as well. This is an easy fitment but you would need to source one. Also there are two different Trimatic boxes. One has the selector on the left side and one has it on the right side. So make sure which one you have before looking for a shifter. Brett
hsv-001

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 10:06:09 AM »

Tend to agree with Brett . Early trimatic ,the linkages are on the drivers side and probably less clutter . In most cases the 5 speed conversion leaves plenty of exess for an  auto. there are also plenty of small Jap and euro shifters that look quite neat you just have to be careful with the length of the linkage to match the gates to the holden box. If you have any questions message me .Cheers
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 12:56:47 PM »

hi all ,i have been doing my home work,there are 2 different gearbox types early type with cable kick down and later stronger type with electric kick down which 1 can i use ! and what model car can i get it from ,again thanks every one

The later "stronger" trimatic is probably the one out of the VK Commodore for the EFI 202, these had ribbing on the bellhousing. Electric kick-down might suit your situation better, no fussing with linkages.
If you have enlarge the tunnel already, I assume with something from the Rod Shop or similar, then the Trimatic will fit.
If you have mounts for the crossmember for the 5-speed, then you will only need to modify/adjust the crossmember for the Trimatic.
Floor shifts for the trimatic should be easy, I used a B&M Quicksilver for my car. Easily located (mine is high on the tunnel for full seat movement) and adjusted, I think B&M sell different cable lengths too or there's others that sell morse cables in various langths - http://www.cassellmarine.com.au/p/319940/morse-cc332-control-throttle-cables-ex-33c.html

Ole

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 07:44:42 PM »

Gemini's used trimatics with a T bar shifter connected with an adjustable linkage rod. There's plenty of them available and you can get them to suit either side of the transmission. Just another option if need be.
Cheers Ole.

Adelaide SA
clivetitchener

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 11:18:58 PM »

im on to it guys .i will let you know how i get on regards clive
clivetitchener

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 12:37:32 AM »

harv can you send me a photo or two of the shifter you have. and the way it is installed.also how much you want for one.regards clive
Harv
Guru

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 05:39:36 PM »

G'day Clive,

Looks like one of the FB/EK boys may have beaten you to it. He is coming to take a look-see early this week. If it is no good for him, I'll post up some photies and you're next in line.

Cheers,
Harv.
clivetitchener

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 12:59:29 AM »

quick update, i have removed the old 5 speed gearbox and have purchased a trimatic ,i replaced the seals front and rear/and also put a new filter kit through the oil pan .also a new air modulator ..made the mistake of trying to use an old torque convertor which was supposed to be fine.only to find the retaining nuts are stuffed, now have to wait for a recoed one to arrive.also have a new b+m shiffter to install it will take a bit longer than i thought!
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 06:02:40 AM »

Nothings ever straight forward.

FCV08

FE FC Club of QLD

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 08:08:57 PM »

Clive

I fitted the B&M shifter quite easily.
Have a look at my build 'Here we go Again' under Members' Completed FE-FC Projects.
I made some brackets then fitted them to the shifter, positioned the shifter on the trans tunnel, then welded the brackets. I also welded nuts to the underside of the brackets to make the whole install process a lot easier.
Once the shifter is mounted drill the hole through the tunnel for the cable as instructed and your away.

Good luck with it.

Cheers Craig D
clivetitchener

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 11:59:18 PM »

cheers craig every little bit of help is better than making a costly mistake.
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 05:29:26 AM »

I have B& M shifter mounts in the waterjet if anyone is stuck fitting one.

same as this

http://fefcholden.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,22469.160.html

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: