FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 30, 2024, 02:43:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: using different pistons from a different make  (Read 4350 times)
fe350chev
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: June 13, 2013, 09:29:49 PM »

Hi

I am pretty sure that the all EK motors have the 1mm offset journal alignment to reduce piston and conrod stress, but if I am using a different piston designed for something else (cos im bored with standard stuff) then I think I would have to make sure the engines turn in the same direction hey, otherwise the big end journal offset will be at least doubled (depending on the pistons gudgeon offset. Has anyone toyed with this.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
87 velo
nsw-club

Model: FE

Sydney

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:20:51 PM »

The gudgeon pin offset is what determines which way to install the piston, so if the pistons you want to fit are offset the other way install them backwards.  Have you got a particular piston in mind for the grey?  The offset is there to reduce piston noise and wear on the thrust side of the cylinder.  Some manufacturers are now offsetting the cylinder centerline to the crank but for different reasons. Smiley
ardiesse
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 03:48:24 PM »

The piston pin offset makes for a more uniform pressure distribution on the thrust side piston skirt, but subtly mucks up the connecting rod geometry.  So you get longer engine life, and slightly lower power.  If you install the pistons "the other way around", the connecting rod geometry is improved, meaning more power.  But the pressure distribution on the thrust side piston skirt is less uniform, so the engine will wear out quicker.

Rob

Remember: if your Holden's not leaking oil, it doesn't have any.
fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 07:35:15 PM »

Yeah but if i told what i was thinking then I'd have to kill you  Cheesy Grin  Roll Eyes and that would mean I would get banned from using the forum, so I won't spill my guts just yet  Smiley Thanks for the info guys.

Deano

Current Rides: 1958 "Black and White Taxi" FC special Sedan, 1957 FE special Sedan, BA Futura,  2015 VF Commodore, 1956 Austin Tipper Truck
FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 08:42:24 PM »

I could share remeber you shared with me  Grin

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 10:20:44 PM »

well, I could kill you , somehow do a fraud and get many half finished cars and then I would get banned from the forum but steal all of your computer modelling and data so i wouldnt need the forum  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Deano

FCRB26
Guru

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 05:32:19 AM »

Its going to be one fully sick grey motor bro.
You will be able to sit at the local maccas and tell all the youngins what internals it has.
It will need a  big alterntor for da doofers.

Its a guessing game now.

Oh ive said too much. Cheesy

fe350chev
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 07:49:41 PM »

yes ure right. stfu lol. Except when I need your advice. At least thats what my missus says to me.

Deano

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: